• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
So we are holding another db fish in and social event this year but, I don't think we have a single Guernsey man in the competition!
There is a limit of 20 spear fishermen & there are already 19 registered.

I don't see your name mate but I have asked Stephan to double check.

Definitely filled in the form as soon as registrations opened. List is now full, so not sure what happened there.

Andy, the spearfishing comp max number has been reached but you can still register for the social aspect or the free diving course.
However if you are sure you registered, send Stephan a pm to see what happened!

I was listening to a local fisherman who said the water between here and mid channel is so cloudy he cant see the pots until they break surface!

off topic, but wow what a day yesterday! looked like zero vis pretty much everywhere i went, but further out it was 2m in patches.
I took the surfski for a plod and managed 10.5 miles.

Says the video has been removed Jonny?

Just back from a week in Brittany seeing some of the wife's family and eating far too much cheese.

I can confirm that it's all murked to buggery over there as well despite being lovely and settled.

went for my first dive last Sunday as was dead keen to get back in and also work out what kits knackered. Turns out all my kits good except my lungs which at the moment appear to be akin in volume to that of a small school girl. Viz was a whopping 1m (I could just see the end of my spear tip. Found a few small lobsters but didn't take any and fingered a few wrasse (always in the way).

My feedback is the most sheltered spots on the west coast will be fishable (fish cant see you, you cant see them until last minute)
but.......... its just not a lot of fun. Interestingly there was a lot of sediment (couple of mm) covering the rocks I was looking under which I've never come across, all the seaweeds gone (most of it) as you would expect for spring, but the silts a new one. I think it got so stirred up both inshore and off, that the murkiness is uniform inshore and off.

Its going to take a while to clear up isn't it :(

on the upside I found my first st Georges of the season Mart & TJ

A surprisingly common mushroom around the west coast headlands!
Well I have my concerns about the vis for the whole year!
Might be a string weed hunting season..

went for another dive yesterday, awful viz about 1 m past the spear tip, no silver seen. All set to swim in when I noticed a boulder with a pile of crushed shells and dark sand piled up next to it. 30 min of cat and mouse and I have a nice lobster in hand. Had a mooch and found 2 more keepers in the next 30 min. Strange as the spot I went to is a bass spot and ive never seen a lobster there, im thinking due to being so early in the year no ones potting. silt on the sea bed is going to be a problem this year, it gets stirred up so easily

Reactions: jks
My favourite St Georges spot has had a "nature path" dug straight through it, complete with natural membrane and natural treated woodchip :mad:

The silt was exactly the problem 5 or so years ago after a rough winter. Never did properly clear as takes ages to settle and the slightest blow puts you right back to square one.

Reactions: jks and jerseymike
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT