• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Epic 3 spearo sessions in the water
Day 1 - Saturday 6am in the water, within 15 minutes had seen the 2nd biggest bass i'd ever seen in the water, I think about 7lb+ at least, I was swimming forward as stealthly as I could, when out the slight bad viz came a huge head, I stopped and waiting expecting the fish to continue my direction and it did, at an unexpected moment it very quickly turned and I took a hopeful shot, which went nowhere, probably slightly out of range for the Rob Allen, continued the trip, saw a couple of other bass which were smaller which I managed to miss, plenty of big mullet around but nothing I was in a good position to take a shot at, on my way back cold and gutted i'd missed the biggy, thinking i'd be empty handed walking back, pretty much swimming along in a few feet of water when I looked right and saw a big grey tail, waited to see what it was an saw the thick lips of a mullet, still had its back to me and only slight turn for a shot, hit it straight through the end of the body before the tail, anyhows a 4lb mullet on the stringer.
Capture2.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Day2 - 5.30am start, in the water and within 10 minutes another large bass head, perhaps a 5lb fish this time, thought I was in range and again just fell short....doh!!, continued and missed another fish around a few pound and close distance, by this stage was feeling one of those days that my shot was going to be rubbish - found another bass resting inbetween some jap weed, again missed..... Continued looking, eventually found a nice tail resting behind some weed, lined up for a shot through the lace and bingo....nice 3lb 9oz fish, had a full stomach of 9 crabs inside him.
bass miss 2.JPG
bass miss 3.JPG
bass miss.JPG
bass2.JPG
IMG_8276.JPG

Day 3 - Monday night, body told me no, head told me go on.... same spot as the last couple of days, this spot is producing so no point changing it, within a few minutes of being in the water, nice bass seen but on my side, also a big mullet, by the time I turned it was gone, another few bass seen but out of range, found some big spiders in the deeper water but females, shame as they were pretty big, by this stage it was low tide and sun was on its way down, decided it was time to head back, took a short cut through some thick bootlace, as I came out a bass straight in front of me, lined up for the shot, it was just starting to swim and boom caught right at the top of its body, full of running it wrapped itself up in bootlace, had to dive down, grab the fish and with it a load of bootlace, made me look like I was some kind of spearfishing guerrilla bootlace madman, anyhow at that with my line all twisted up with my float line, I bundled the mess up on my float and kicked off back to shore for the 20 minute swim. 3.6lb fish for the freezer....a really good 3 days, body now dive knackered so a bit of rest before the weekends really low tides.
Best thing about the 3 days is the amount of bass seen, and mullet, I was loading my gun a couple of times and watched decent bass go past me - chest is bruised from loading the gun so much....not complaining though :)

Capture2.JPG
basshit1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Last edited:
Well done mate, thanks for posting your report.
Have you ever considered a dry barrel air gun?

More power & less recoil, much smoother shot, better tracking.
To be honest I am not really up to speed with the latest guns available but I believe there are several off the shelf models now available...
Some folk don't like them because they find pneumatics hard to load but it is just about technique.
I like using dry barrel air guns mainly because of the lack of recoil, you can get low recoil band guns but they would be high mass woodies.
Very often you can see the spear fly out & watch its flight. I find that really helps with accuracy once you get used to the gun.
Interestingly air guns are measured at full length unlike band guns that are measured from band attachment to trigger.
So a 90cm is 90cm long, a 90 band gun would be around 950 - 990mm long!
A 90cm dry barrel air gun is a really good all-round gun a 100cm is a very powerful gun but better if you have long arms to help with loading.
Not cheap though......

Me and the lads just having a cool down..........

Had a fun dive "out west " in the murk yesterday resulting in 3 Lobos for the bbq , then went on foot today for a stroll down a different part of the west coast with my hook, resulting in a couple of keepers for the girlfriends work bbq tomorrow (#brownie points in the bag). Lots of small lobsters around which was good to see, lots of strap congers too and huge granddaddy wrass getting in the way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 181
Me and the lads just having a cool down..........

Had a fun dive "out west " in the murk yesterday resulting in 3 Lobos for the bbq , then went on foot today for a stroll down a different part of the west coast with my hook, resulting in a couple of keepers for the girlfriends work bbq tomorrow (#brownie points in the bag). Lots of small lobsters around which was good to see, lots of strap congers too and huge granddaddy wrass getting in the way
Nice work ! I need to get myself a hook.
Are you using a torch as well and are you using a lot of weight to find them in the shallows or are they deeper ?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

First dive of the year today with Fro-in-shorts and Eddy aka "Eddy the shell"
Decided to go North for a mooch, viz was patchy in places but overall perfectly diveable.
Plenty of bait fish around and some of the biggest mullet I have seen in a couple of years. Took a 3lb bass for dinner and saw plenty more. Good start to my season :)

Great dive today, finally feeling warm out there. Lots of schoolie bass seen but couldn't find anything in that 4-5lb nice to filet niche so left to swim for another day.

Yes Jacob I like to use a torch, helps you see to the back of holes or under boulders, makes a big difference. Weight is dependent upon the size of tide and subsequent depth, I tend to hunt in 2-3m of water but on a big low tide so a reasonable amount of weight

Reactions: Jacob Fitch
Hi Fro - I know what you mean. I went out for a couple of hours on Friday lunchtime on the low tide and saw small bass on most of the drops. Couple of small mullet seen too. Went home with nothing, but nice to look.

All seemed to be those young pale bass in shoalets of 5 or 6 fish.

On one of the last drops I had there was a parade of small bass coming head on and straight past my shoulder, saw a larger bass/mullet at the back but needed air.

Was out last Saturday in the same spot and same thing - small bass. Took a grey mullet for a taste test, cooked it up with a provencal sauce ( https://www.cooked.com/uk/Hugh-Fear...-mullet-braised-with-tomato-and-fennel-recipe ). Tasted great!
Ed

Brilliant dive with Kerin and John . So much life ! bass every where. Mostly scoolies but saw a couple 6lb plus at least in the distance . Never got a clear shot all moving too fast , but may have some fottage from the go pro. At one point I went around a corner with some strong tide over a drop off and was in a massive shole of eels with small pollok and bass picking them off all over the place , awesome to see. Can't wait to to get back out !

Got in for the second dive of the year today. Me and Fro went East again and were greeted by good viz.
First half of the dive was mainly stalking and apart from 1 big bass which Fro spooked i didn't see much at all! Second half I got into slightly deeper water with a nice bit of tide running. Found a couple of bass for the family dinner and saw a couple of larger fish but wasn't in the right position to let of any shots. Ended up with one @ 50cm and another @ 46cm
All in all a good dive and a great workout. Glad the nice weather is back.
image.jpg

Forgot to mention that on the walk down the beach yesterday I found a tiny plaice which was on the sand in a minimal amount of water. He was moved and let go in the shallows as there were birds feeding on the beach, always really nice to see. I didn't manage to get in for a spearfish today but went swimming with my daughter and the water was lovely and warm. Viz also looked great, especially in Foxfish's back garden!

Dived a spot Thursday evening, took a chance as the surf can be a bit crazy and there was a 2-4ft swell..., didn't seem to bad knowing what I would have expected it to be like, so gave it go, then it got pretty swelly and the usual place I couldn't get to, so hunted around the bay, did some drops into the kelp and couldn't hold my breath very long, when I was breathing up on the surface, I was watching some 3-4lb bass pass by, also saw some hugmongous mullet, but due to the bad vis they saw me before I saw them
Saturday red eye dive, 15 minutes in the water and I spot a bass, not massive but a good 3-4lb, I knew from earlier shots the fish was just out of range, waited and the tide was taking me back away from the fish, grabbed some jap weed and pulled myself forward, taking a chance, the bass looked like it was just about to bolt but it took a dive and was enjoying rubbing itself up against the bottom, by this stage i'd motored forward enough from the tug on the jap weed to be in range, boom and a bass on the spear.
Not a lot else seen but glad to get a fish early on and the vis was good so a nice dive.
1a.JPG
bass8.JPG
IMG_8373.JPG
IMG_8377.JPG

A few dives recently...

Tuesday 27 June - night dive in my back yard. Very very high tide at 10pm but needed some aquatic action after a fairly dull day at work. I saw a few eels that looked too bronzy and small to be conger. Saw a handful of hand sized bass. Little else - 2 hours. Far too much water but fun!

Tuesday 4th July - night dive from my backyard slip across to Les Amarreurs into Chouet, across the centre of the bay towards Rousse and back past Picquerel. Long surface swim over two hours+, very shallow. Saw pretty much everything but all in miniature.
Saw a ray the size of my hand, conger eel like bootlaces, perfect Couches bream (aka 'Guernsey Dentex') but the size of a pack of cards, red mullet the size of a finger. Saw a lobster... again frickin' tiny. Bass & mullet... loads but all about 20cm long.

Friday 7th July - day dive. Back of my local reef. Lovely and clear, was after a bass but after swimming through a river of a current I had a little pause and two mullet cruised past. Shot one, reloaded and... twoyng! The bridle loop knot pulled out of the rubber. Impossible to fix in the water but I managed to rig it so I could load it on the loading knotch. Was offshore a little bit and didn't fancy the swim back so carried on in the hope that I could get a close shot on aspetto.
Had an hour of aspetto's in about 6m but didn't see any fish which was weird. Tried the reef shore, right in close in a metre of water or less and just saw mullet. Headed back - lovely dive even with 'going technical'.
Re-tied all my bands... lesson learnt!
(I have some spare lengths of rubber - can tie a band out of them if anyone wants:
36cm - 18mm
40cm - 18mm
43.5cm - 16mm
46.5cm - 18mm
49.5cm - 16mm
59cm - 18mm)

Thursday 13th July - day dive - 2 hours+. East. Was half thinking about Giltheads but not really knowing where to go I just went 'east'. Bit of an undecided dive.... Took the Pelagos 100cm and my little teak 80cm. Plan was to take a float with both guns to check them (new Salvimar tabbed shafts and new rubbers etc). Didn't feel like taking a float so took the Pelagos 100 with an aim to try aspetto's.
Hit the shallows first and ended up stalking - so many bass! Not sure if it was the same shoal but there seemed to be a bass under every clump of weed looking at me. Viz was ok but not perfect. Gun was too long and bass took off as I slowly turned. Missed twice in the shallows. Bass all about 50cm - not much bigger - measured one that came home with me. Loads of large mullet around but was holding out for a bass.
Some aspettos turned up a better result - more time to choose & aim for a large one in the shoal.
New shaft/band combo works well - prefer the dyneema wishbones with tabbed shaft.

Going to go tomorrow hopefully - early one ideally with loads of giltheads (ha! - PM me with info if you have any on how to catch the elusive GH's...)

Woke up early yesterday but was foggy so went at 6pm instead. Tried Belle Greve for a change.
Had a quick chat with another spearo in the car park (Blue van - waiting for his mate). He mentioned the speccie hunt which sounds good.
Shot a grey mullet in the shallows on the way in, stealthed for a bit then had some 6m ish drops on sand & Neptune weed.
Obviously in my mind there were going to be Gilthead everywhere! But no.
Nice dive, good to explore new spots and nice to bump into fellow divers.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT