• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Also, I bought a deba recently (Japanese knife specifically for breaking down whole fish). Amazing, which I'd bought one before.

Japanese chefs knives dot com ship anywhere for a flat $7 which is pretty good. Just sharpened a yanagiba which I bought when I lived there. Scary sharp.

Got in the water early doors on Sunday with Ed and Fro, it was misty and I was thinking no way, but we got to the spot and it wasn't bad so decided to give it a go. Realised before getting in the water that i'd forgotten my ankle weights but thought i'd be OK without them, anyhows im swimming around this rocky ledge in around a couple of meters of water, my mind has wandered off on something and before I know it less than 3 meters in front a bass is skimming along the green slime on the bottom, nice fat 3-4lbr, adjusted slightly to aim and shoot and pretty sure my fins splashed at the wrong time and the fish bolted (well im blaming them anyway), that was a missed opportunity and other than a couple of shoolies no other bass seen, caught up with Fro and filmed him getting a lobby out from under a rock which was really great to watch, thought id have a look myself with an unloaded gun and came across some big grey tails flying off in front, the spot we were in meant they were likely big mullet, great vis and a nice dive.
Capture10.JPG
FB1.JPG
FB3.JPG
FB4.JPG
FB7.JPG

Attachments

• FB9.JPG
    FB9.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 165
Nice dive this afternoon with John Kerin and Ed portifer (nice to meet you ) ,
On the hunt for scallops . The vis wasn't great but enough when you where on the bottom. Wasn't a deep dive around 6-9m because of the low spring which made it easier .
Had a good haul of 22 , just about to cook them for the family

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_145524.jpg
    IMG_20170723_145524.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 182
As Edd said a spot of scalloping this afty was in order after this rough patch of weather we have had. First time scalloping this year for me and only my 3rd dive!! I am totally out of practice, awful breath hold and terrible fitness level.
Viz was better than expected and at one point I could see my anchor on the bottom in 5m, sea temp was a toasty 17. Seabed was littered will small spiders and patchy weed which made finding the scallops more tricky than usual. Was good to get in and meet up with the guys and meet Ed (portinfer) for the first time.
Now time to put up my tired legs and feast on these Scollies with some sweet chilli sauce.
image.jpg

Good dive, thanks for the invite & nice to meet you all.
I really thought the weekend would be dive less due to the weather but had a good couple of hours looking for scallops.
I managed 3 which is a record for me!
Worked out what it's all about towards the end....
Looked murky but was actually fine for scalloping.
Best part was John/Fro wrangling a long lobster hook in a small rock pool - I was really hoping he'd snag a lobster in there!
Good dive with some chilled out people.

Looks like you boys had a good day, I also got out this afternoon mainly to try out my new wetsuit. I did see a few fish but nothing worth shooting at, small mullet and bass around 1-2lb. Hopefully try again in the week.

Hello, again. I have returned with another question.

So, St. Peter Port harbour. About how many berths for boats/ships does it have? I realize there’s such a diversity of sizes, that a strict number doesn’t tell much of the story. But combine a number with a range of sizes, and that would help me out. I then will have to adopt that as much as possible for 18th century seacraft, but there we are.

At present there are thousands of boats floating in the harbour and associated marinas, in the 1700s the harbour was more of a natural bay harbour, with only a few inner walls.
The harbour has always been based around the natural bay & protective off shore reefs.
However it has been a busy port since the 3rd century & I think the first stone landing piers were being built from around that time?
During the mid 1800s lots of work was completed, with the main breakwater being constructed & other inner walls modified and perfected.
So during the 1700s I can only guess that as the main anchorage was probably out in the bay & only the unloading of cargo (booty) was taking place on the Piers. I would think 4 - 5 large boats could moor up alongside the St Peter Port streets but dozens or even hundreds of boats could anchor in the bay.

Last edited:
I was in lihou at the weekend for a friend's party . took this picture of the resident seal which appeared to be sleeping in the shallows very close to shore
20170729143548_IMG_0677~2.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT