• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey summer fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice link for the bass portinfer check out www.portlandoceanering.co.uk and click on the spearfishing to see the gallery.Biggest bass so far is 15lbs.I must add none are mine i'm still working on that.Back to the porbeagles underwater footage is rare and i have seen footage of salmon sharks their pacific cousin,very erratic and quick as they would have to be for feeding on bass,bream and so on.Not sure looking into the mouths of them is a good way to ID the shark though.Not while your in the water anyway rofl rofl rofl

Very nice picture Ed, my cat also has a habbit to check the fishes before i clean them if they are ok to cook for herself, well... she thinks the fishes are for herself rofl rofl rofl rofl

water temp : 16 C
max depth : 6.3m
max dive time : 1.25mins
no of dives : 25
----------------------------

A West coast dive with Dave and Tim and Pete.

Pretty nice day but a bit overcast so hit the west coast with the aim of finding some decent 90 pound yellow fin and some mahi-mahi... sorry must have been dreaming... revised : some bass and maybe a pollack or two.

It was all a bit lower than we thought it would be but seemed good so we wandered along a reef and dropped in off the end and fanned out over the kelp to head to an offshore reef.

I saw a bass on the first aspetto - just at the end and I hadn't seen it when I started to come up so I saw the flick of a silver tail and then a shadow moving in the deeper water.

The other side of the reef wasn't covered with enough water so there was very little bootlace. That's the problem with these 9m tides - hard to work out correctly all the time...

I found a nice bass that flitted in and out of range and then went. Right on the slack between the reef and a shallow causeway - I also had a hail mary shot at two mackerel (I wasn't fussed which one I hit :)) but as the spear went towards it I heard a swoosh and the mackerel did a nice 90 degree handbrake turn.... bloody quick.

Anyway Pete shot an 8 pounder that turned out to be 6 after he scaled it (in fact we all thought it was 8 but it turned out that despite being long it was a bit pale around the middle so weighed in a bit shy... still Pete was pretty happy).

Dave had a nice 5 and a half pound bass and a mullet and a pretty big wrasse for the smoker.

Tim shot a strange looking beast which I must admit I hadn't considered fair game before.

Ed shot rocks. Lots of them. In fact this reef is soon getting to be known as '... oh I know the place... it's where Ed goes to miss bass...' ::: yes.... I missed another beauty that was sleeping in the kelp - those vertical shots never get easier - next time I'm taking a marker pen and I'm gonna swim down and slap a cross on the head and then have a go with a proper target - either that or get some proper prescription glasses (-6 in both eyes....)

Well - another good day.
Cheers
Sulky Ed (I didn't want any more bass for the fridge anyway...)

Last edited:
Old Man Dave said:
Thanks Huan
Apparently the easiest way to tell the difference between a Porbeagle and a Mako is to get them to open their mouths. Then you look inside and if they have a pointed round section tooth with 2 side spikes it's a porgy but if it has triangle serated teeth it's a Mako (or a great White).
Must try that next time!
Dave
Dave regarding dentition, mako's teeth are about twice the length of a Porgy tooth and half as wide again. Once you see them side by side you will never mistake them again:)
The Mako teeth are also razor sharp on the sides not the serrated type like GWS or Tigers and Blues but just sharp like a knife blade. I have cut myself on a mako tooth before just holding it and looking at it and feeling the edge.
In my younger days I had a tiger tooth made up as a necklace but woke one day to find the bed covered in my own blood, the tiger getting its revenge I guess.
I have seen Mako sharks freejumping before in NZ ,crazy sight. 8m leaps! those sharks are psycho.

Nice report Ed.
Just like to add a bit on the bass I caught today. It was such a typical Old Man Dave effort.
There’s no way I can compete with Ed on his aspetto technique. I can match his depth, at least down to 10-12 metres, but no way can I manage his breath hold. Too old, too fat, too many cigars and whiskies. Also I was brought up on a different style of fishing. My flatty diving is all about stamina and repetitive dives and Ed will tell you I’m good at that. My bass fishing is all about ambush and stealth.
So today, the stat’s on my 5.5lb bass were; offshore reef, depth 18 inches, heavy bootlace weed, head shot, range 6inches (spear tip to fish). These are the typical stat’s on about half the bass I catch ( about 40 total so far this season)
We walked half a mile out over exposed low water reefs and then swam half a mile through some strongish current to an offshore reef. I searched out a sheltered “bay” on the reef and looked for signs of bootlace floating to the surface in calm shallow water. There was only one spot with an area about 10 x 20 ft. As soon as I got there I saw a mullet on the outside edge in 4 ft of water. A good sign.
I immediately went into ultra stealth mode. Moving into the shallowest weed in 18 inches. I hold the gun out in front with in my right hand, but with my arm bent and the handle close to my body. I use my left hand to pull myself along using weed or boulders on the bottom. I don’t use my fins and I move very, very slowly. I try to keep my body totally relaxed but my mind very sharp. Head movements need to be slow and only viewing 20 degrees or so either side of the gun. If you look too much to either side you see bass you can’t get and that way lies madness.
30 seconds and 10ft in I stop as the nose and then head of a nice bass appears in the weed dead ahead. The fish is doing what I am – hunting in stealth mode. The spear tip is 6 inches from its shoulder. I push my right hand out from my body with a smooth motion. The spear tip lines up with the head and I squeeze off the shot. It’s a gill plate shot, just under the eye, not a stoner but a guaranteed fish. The weed and spear prevent the fish struggling too much and I grab it and finish it with a knife. 18 inches of water helps as you can just stand up.
I’ve used what I call a reflex shot. I don’t sight the gun. There’s not enough room to do so in heavy weed. My gun is a special for this purpose. It’s a 90 cm model but with a 140cm spear. I don’t track by twisting my wrist. Instead I push (or pull) the handle to either side of my body centreline. This causes the angle of the gun to change but also it causes the spear tip to track. Both of these factors improve your aiming point. This is where the longer spear gives an advantage. Obviously the tip is closer to the fish but mainly the tip tracks more because the guns centre of resistance is nearer the handle. This is because the longer spear has less resistance than a longer gun would have. Hope you followed that. Bit technical but most importantly it works in practise.
The problem with my technique is that you’re not aiming by sighting down the gun but at ranges of less than 2 ft you don’t miss (unless your names Ed). :)
Well I know I rambled on a bit but I just wanted to share. Feel free to comment.
Dave :hmm

Had a beaut afternoon dive down at Petit Bot with a couple of newbies. I love taking newbies out and introducing them to the new world on their doorstep. The lad who stuck around the longest after his Dad had called in did really well. It was his first serious snorkel and of course he started out all flappy and nervous but after a bit of coaching he really gained his water confidence.

We had awesome vis (for Gsy) - about 30ft. There's some really beautiful places around the reefs to the east of the bay. Saw a shoal of bass but they didn't hang around. Saw some nice wrasse too. It wasn't a gun day.

Out Sunday pm again with another couple of growd-up newbies - looking forward to that.

Thanks Dave for the description of your hunting techniques, very interesting. I've got a mix of techniques at the moment, aspetto, stealth etc. Good to experiment.

[m] :cool:

Oops! Old Man Dave needs to get new scales (weighing not fish).
My bass of yesterday was weighed on a pair of accurate digital scales. Four hours after capture it went 6.5 lb not 5.5lb. Means Pete's fish was probably nearer 8lb rather than 6.5lb. Sorry Pete. Well done.
We should have been more confident in our judgement. Acctually I thought mine weighed 16lb but then that's just me.
Ever hopeful Old Man Dave.

Sunday 7/8/05
Out in my boat for the afternoon. Mate John was my diving partner and Ed came along as crew. John was working in the morning and needed to be back by 5pm so just a quick tank dive for flats plus setting a few hooks for bream and drowning some worms with the rods.
Went for a nice leasurely run from St Peter Port up the east coast just running at 7 knots displacement speed to admire the view. Some slightly snotty seas as wind was force 4 from the NE.
Eventually reached the north coast via some tight inshore passages between the reefs - good fun. On arrival we set 24 hooks baited with mackeral on the mono long line and left them to soak.
Moved out and John did his tank on the slack water over some gravel waves near a reef in 60 ft of water. Ed and I broke out the rods and fished while we waited. 30 something minutes later John was up with one smallish brill.
My turn now so we moved west a bit and despite a p*ssing tide I decided to try my "good" spot. 18 minutes total dive time with a max depth of 27.5 metres (85ft). Spent most of the time clinging onto the bottom as the tide tried to use my SMB and line to pull my shoulder from its socket. However, despite having had the rope caught in a reef and the effects of the tide I managed to spear 2 nice turbot and a nice brill. Good stuff.
Decided to use the last remaining 100 bar in the tank in the bay for some plaice and sole. Stayed geared up as we headed inshore. 18 minutes in 40 ft was enough to see 2 large soles, 2 nice crabs and 1 scallop join the turbot and brill in the fishbox. Excellent one tank catch.
Time to pull the mono trot. Ed pulled while I packed away and John steered. One gurnard and one bream. Not exactly a mega catch but a nice two extra species bonus.
Just time to scrub the decks, clean up the catch and square away while we motored back. Didn't even get to open up the motor before we were back in port. By now the wind had died and the sea settled down.
Nice day (afternoon), with good company and a few fish to boot. Ed's took some pic's (non digi') so when they're developed perhaps he'll scan and post them.
Dave

Last edited:
Old man dave, your stelth technique we call the indian. In such shallow water we'd usually use a 75cm gun for maneouvability. From my point of view ALL shots should be instinct shots, even long range. When you start lining the fish up you usually miss, well I do anyway. How much lead do you use in such a situation. Here lots of people use a baudrier (like a lead backpack) for shallow water fishing.

Hi Pablo
I use 22lb (10 kilo) on a waist belt. My suit is one of the new cressi spearo suits. 5mm long johns and 5mm jacket, so quite a bit of neoprene. I weigh in at about 14 stone and am not too flabby but not exactly a matchstick either. This set up sees me neutrally buoyant at about 22 ft (7metres) depth.
I use ankle weights as well and this makes a big difference. In the past when I used heavy sinking scuba style fins I didn’t need them but the new floating fins are lethal without them.
I’ve seen a few baudriers, including in competitions long ago when the French international team all seemed to use them. Some of my teammates tried them but I never really bothered. Ed’s keen to try one and I’ve investigated some designs. Fabio our Italian visitor always uses one.
A shorter gun might offer some advantage for shallow stealth fishing (going Indian). However, all guns are something of a compromise and over many years my current set up has proven best suited to my style of fishing.
If I could guarantee only stealthing and never seeing fish in any other situation I might be tempted by a shortish compressed air gun, say 60cm. I have a similar gun for use in “reefing” but its range is very limited. The new roller guns look interesting but I’ve never seen one in real life. Except possibly for these roller guns, I’ve found rubber band guns less than 80cm to either be low powered with their short rubbers or very nasty to shoot if the rubbers are made too thick to compensate for their short length.
There are quite a few past threads on gun length, rubber power, baudriers, buoyancy etc. It’s always worth a trawl through the threads to get a few different views.
On which note, thanks for the comments and I’m off now “going Indian” – “Chicken madras please”. :)
Regards
Dave

Tuesday 9/8/05.
Out in my boat with tank diver mate John for a whole day mooching for flats etc.
John wanted a turbot to repay a mate for a favour. Now no longer commercial, flatfish have become a barter currency (don’t tell the tax man). So off to OMD’s turbot hole.
A small gravel bank lies in the lee of an exposed reef. It’s 60 ft to the base of the reef and then the bank runs down to 100ft before turning into stony bottom. Year before last I had a 24.5 lb tubby here.
We had all the usual hassle. Tide was too strong, then too slack, then running the wrong way. I was in first and had to make 2 drops, all the way down and all the way up x 2. During my 20 minutes of bottom time I only managed 5-10 minutes on the bank. Found a 6lb brill, but that was all, still not a total disaster.
John went in but blanked (situation normal). Oops – sorry John.
Time to go somewhere else. Opened the throttle and “Spearfish” covered the 5 miles to “up north” in 15 minutes.
My turn, so dropped in an inshore 50ft deep run on the edge of the tide. Fish wise it was gurnard, gurnard, gurnard, oh look there’s another gurnard. Left them all for the trotters and worm drowners, although was nearly tempted by a big tub gurnard, as they’re pretty good tucker. Picked up 2 scallops and spiked a sole but flatfish were looking few and far between.
Next fish spotted was a favourite of mine – a john dory. It was only a small one so wasn’t in any danger from me but it was about to get a good teasing. I love these fish and not just ‘cause they’re one of the best eating fish. Head on they are so thin they literally disappear but when they turn sideways they are relatively huge and seem to appear from nowhere. I kept tapping it on the tail with my spear tip to make it turn – fascinating. Now you see it now you don’t. They also have amazing fins, colour and the weirdest mouth. Love ‘em.
Finished my run with another sole and a plaice.
Engine in gear and after a 5 minute run and it was John’s turn. He managed over an hour bottom time by working a bay with a low tide depth of only 35-40ft. 3 nice sole and a couple of plaice. Nice one John – I take it all back.
Decided to finish off with half a tank in the deep on a small gravel bank. Too much tide and another fight with the SMB line while being towed by the tide in 90ft. The end result was another nice brill and a crab joined the rest of the catch in the fish box.
Two weary divers tidied up, washed down and headed home. Long day, nice (if small) box of mixed fish and a feeling of utter contentment.
“Born to fish” Old Man Dave :D

Last edited:
just read the post about the sharks, one of the local beaches here in cornwall got closed last week when a shark came into the swimming area - not a basking shark for a change. Gave the lifegaurds enough cause for concern for them to play it safe and close the beach for a bit.
Again probably a porbeagle they reckon but possibly a mako...anyhows the local papers loved it!

few years ago at watergate bay near newquay a friend and I were surfing when a shark buzzed by us really close like touching distance, we splashed at it and it rolled on its side and peered at us with this big black eye , pretty exciting. In the pub we say it was a mako but probably a porbeagle I dont know , did swim really fast. Got us interested in sharks.

The fishermen on the manacles say they see big makos quite often and thats about a mile out . They might just be trying to put the spearos off though who knows. The fishermen have loads of stories about sharks just ask them, one guy even said he saw a big tuna jump out the water off porthleven pier?!

Oh and the guy who caught all those sharks is still landing them I think so soon they'll all be dead so make the most of it

Where have all the bass gone? Have those Dorset guys succeeded in their plan to hire a trawler and lay a chum trail from Guernsey to Dorset? Who knows?
This last week has been tough – fish wise. Been in half a dozen times, solo and also with Ed and Ed’s brother (Will). Managed to clean miss a few bass as well as landing a few, also lost one off the spear (hate that). Caught a golden grey mullet but had 2 blank days and that’s not happened for ages. Ed has been similarly plagued. We’ve caught bass but gone are the days of “Oh no, not another bass”.
Speaking to the main shore angler for bass, locally, he tells me this often happens for a couple of weeks in the beginning of August. Apparently the anglers are struggling as well. Can’t say I’ve noticed it in the past but me memories not what it used to be.
Yesterday was typical of the problems of late. Went in at low tide neap on the east coast with Ed and Will. Conditions looked promising. Spent half an hour stealthing some excellent shallow ground. Saw some large wrasse and a few mullet plus 2 garfish but not a sign of a bass. Meanwhile Ed aspetto-ed a small bass, the only one he saw. We moved to another area where we’d been very successful in the past. Absolutely dead – not a sniff of a bass. Eventually headed back. Ed went straight in but I doglegged, as I knew one area that was more promising. Stealthing in 18 inches I hoped to see “a” bass. Boy I was wrong. Where usually the odd bass was a good result strangely there were shoals of fish. Mainly they were mullet but I managed to clean miss 2 attempted headshots on 2 solo bass each about 3lb. Most of the mullet shoals had a few small bass mixed in. Eventually shot 3 big mullet, 1 small bass and 1 biggish wrasse. Could have gone on to load up but as most of the fish were 4 lb or less I decided enough was enough.
Ed just had his 1 bass although he’d seen a few mullet but where he’d been he’d missed the main shoals and hadn’t seen any bass. Will, who is very much a novice, got a mullet (doesn’t share Ed’s sensitivity re non bass spearing).
So all in all very strange. No bass where they should be and some where they shouldn’t. A few fish caught but despite our love of diving, a sense of frustration is creeping in.
I’m sure things will right themselves but as for me I’m off on holiday to sunny California, 7 days in the San Francisco area. No diving though as I have the other half with me. So no reports from me for a couple of weeks but intend to make up for it when I’m back. I’m sure Ed and co. will keep up the good work when I’m gone. At least they’ll have less competition. :D

Dave
:wave

Last edited:
been pretty quiet in Jersey in the last week or so as well.

do you guys ever fish in sark? I am heading across there this weekend and was thinking of taking the gear. any good spots?

ahhhh, that'll be a no then! good job the locals didn't see me spearing the mullet last year then!

I had chatted to the guy who whizzes around sorting out the moorings and he didn't raise any objection to me diving. or maybe he was just waiting to catch me in the water!

think I'll just take the rods then, at least I can have a beer that way, which after all is the main reason for a trip to sark.

Nada bass for me too of late, Jamie managed a 3lber. They really are few and far between at the moment. Shame with some nice weather for a change too.

Wanny - I always thought that you could spearfish in Sark waters as long as you consumed the catch on Sark. Can't be sure that I am right though - wouldn't want you to have a run in with a Sarkee on my part. Might be worth a call to the police/consulate or whatever they have over there.

Fantastic session on Sunday....

I went in at an 'unusual location' but think I have discivered where bass go for the first two weeks of August. I went in with my brother Will and soon shot a medium sized bass on aspetto in about 4m of water (and bootlace naturally !).

I showed Will how to hold them and finish the deal and then string them ... about two minutes later he was yelling at me to help him with a fish. I dove down and retrieved his slightly larger bass from the weed (bit tangled) and he sealed the deal with my knife.

Really sunny and a nice short dive - about 40 minutes and both with a medium sized bass - about 4 pounds for me and a flick over for Will.... We called it quits as Pete had led us astray the night before and the last thing I really remember is drinking treble Pernods with a shot of whiskey thrown in for good measure at 3am....

Cheers
'Slightly Jaded' Ed

(pix to come)

Last edited:
Dawn raid reloaded.

This Saturday &/or Sunday. Who is in as I can't do it alone! Tides are good for early morning escape from harbour. Sark or Herm?

Come on guys!

g.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT