• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey summer fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
TONIGHT (Sat) George and I are off out for a night dive to Pembroke. Be at the car park at the far west end (by golf club and apartments) of the Pembroke. 8pm. Bring a torch if you can, otherwise we'll share.

See you then hopefully.

Marcel

Good luck George and Marcel - hope you find some sole and plaice - can't make it tonight as am cooking...

Went early this morning for a quick dive locally - found a couple of bass and Pete saw plenty of the 'big ones'. Marinating gravalax style with dill at the moment - anyone else tried this with bass ? (My new book is called 1001 ways to cook bass :))

Take it easy - Ed

Ditto - good luck lads. Look for the colour of their eyes.
Like Ed, 'fraid I am committed tonight. However, did drive past on my way home (I live at Lancresse) from dropping my son at the pub, but must have missed you, It was about 8.05. It was just to put a face to a name but...next time.
Dave

4 Sole - 2 big, 2 little.
1 red mullet - gorgeous fish. :p
1 Chancre - thrown back for next time.

Good vis. Quite a low one. 1:45 out. Good night had by all. Sorry to have missed you Dave, I was waiting in the car park - G was late.
I'll leave G to post pics if he can.
[m]

btw. found great weather site... http://www.gyweather.com/

Last edited:
Sunday 31 July 05
Out in my boat again. North and west to try for a few big flats on the offshore banks. Very overcast and rough enough that I wouldn't have wanted to be in a smaller boat. Dead neap tide and soon found that it was good vis as I dropped into 90 ft for the first tank.
Three tanks later had only managed 4 fish. Two brill, one turbot and one sole. Biggest fish was one of the brill at 7lb.
Glad I'm no longer making my living at this game, although my mate John had a few fish as well. Eventual score, for 6 tanks, was 4 brill, 1 turbot, 5 sole, 4 plaice, 1 gurnard, 1 mackeral, 5 scallops.
With the deck washed down and all the gear stowed I climbed up to the fly bridge. As I opened the throttle, the big 370 hp Cummins roared. Spearfish heaved her 5 tons out of the water and we planed on home at 20 knots.
We'd been out for 9 hours and with a box (small box) of fish to split between 3 of us ( 2 x divers + 1 boatman) every one went home happy, if not exactly loaded down with fish.
Long day, I was contented but tired. Must be getting old.
Dave

Last edited:
Food for thought.
Heard this story last night. Apparently, one of the local professional mono-trotters (monofilament long liners) was hauling his gear only a mile offshore off the west coast when an “incident” occurred.
These guys work their gear, comprising strings of 25 hooks, baited with live sand eel, in water 10-100ft deep, mainly targeting bass and sometimes flatfish (brill, turbot, ray). They work single-handed and set and pull the hooked line (trot) by hand. They work 8-12 trots, letting each “soak” for 3-4 hours and setting and pulling twice in a day.
So this guy is pulling in a trot and getting ready to lift in a hooked bass when a bloody great big porbeagle shark appears from nowhere and grabs the fish right next to the boat. Must have scared the sh*t out of him but that was the least of his troubles ‘cause the shark rolls in the trot and shoots off. The hooks he’s already pulled in are ripped through his hand and around his arm and back. Luckily to main line breaks before he’s pulled overboard.
One trip to the hospital to remove said hooks, which were stuck in his back.
Next time you spearo’s are trailing bloody bass (or any other fish) tied to your belts off the west coast of Guernsey – watch out.
Food for thought.
Dave

Sorry to hear that i hope he will be ok.A large porbeagle has been seen by a couple of divers off portland bill in the last two weeks making it,s prescence known.One very experienced diver who collects flats and scallops off the bill was buzzed a couple of times and harrassed enough to get straight out.Be carefull guy's i look forward to your dive reports i would hate to read about an accident.

Thanks Glowworm
Heard a few more details. The fisherman (Andy) is okay. Apparently he only had to have one hook removed in hospital, as it was too deeply embeded in his back where he couldn't reach. He took the others out himself. These guys are tough!
I found out exactly where the "incident" occured. It was only a mile offshore at a spot one mile inshore of where I was on Sunday. Since then an angler has also had a pollack he was winding in taken on the surface by a porgy in exactly the same spot. Must be the same shark, so it's still about.
This is exactly the same area that I had my only shark encounter. However, mine was over 20 years ago.
I had surfaced from a commercial scuba dive for flatfish on a small gravel bank on the edge of the tide in about 70ft of water. I climbed into the boat and my boatman was hauling in a load of brill that was attached to my line. As he heaved the fish over the gunwhale he let out a "statement". "F*cking H*ll look at that". About 100ft from the boat coming exactly up the trail of my bleedng fish,a fin was cutting the surface.
The shark came to within about 10 ft of the boat. It was about 6 ft long but absolutly massive in the shoulders, like 3 ft across. Must have been a porgy although just possible it was a mako. Whatever, must have been 200lb+.It didn't hang around long but then neither did I.
Although Ive seen lots of sharks from the boat I've never seen one under water.
I don't know of anyone locally whose had a real problem with sharks while diving but I must admit that I am a little concerned that I might be trailing a load of bloody fish around in this area.
Dave

Last edited:
Is it more reports or encounters with more sharks or us in the water more?A commercial fisherman in cornwall caught 130 porbeagles in 9 days fishing this year when we know very little about them.I plan to book a charter boat for a spot of shark fishing this year to get a good look at them.I must admit knowing a large shark was off the coast was playing on my mind while i was in last night.Mind you i'm probably the safest as i seem to shoot the least. rofl rofl rofl

Glowworm by your reckoning on fish capture that makes me in mortal danger. :D
Great news tonight. Ed and I went for a quick dip and got the usual bass. Ho hum boring. However, we both saw bream swimming with the bass. I've never caught a bream with a speargun. I had never even seen a bream while snorkeling, although I've started to see them offshore while tank diving in deep water.
Until about 2 years ago bream were pretty rare over here, at least since the late 60's when they were fished out (mainly by Belgium trawlers targeting breeding shoals). During the last 2 years bream have started to be caught in numbers by rod anglers (worm drowners) and by netters, especially in late autumn/early winter. This year they are currently being caught "close in" by anglers, which is much earlier than last year. All of this bodes well for us spearo's.
Tonight I saw about 4 bream swimming with about 10 bass in shallow water (3ft). I could have shot one but unfortunately I had bagged a 3.5lb bass from the shoal before my old slow brain registared the breams presence. Oh well - next time!
Excited Old Man Dave

Hi OMD, your reports keep planting the seeds in the back of the brain that we need to go back in just in case we spot something new.

Good stuff
Regards

water temp : 17 C
max depth : 9.3m
max dive time : 1.25mins
------------------------------ (some nerdy stats...)

Yes - I'll second that - excellent short dive !

Really fun in the currents too and you could sit on the edge of the tide which I guess was doing about 6 knots (not sure ? maybe less ?) anyway, I found a spot on a point where the tide was ripping about 10 foot away and tried a few aspetto in about 7m to 9m of water straight onto bootlace and rocky outcrops that peeled down to kelp and what I am guessing was sand beneath that (a good spot at low water with a shelving drop off onto sand about 8m below so I guess the sand ws about 15m down maybe... )

Anyway I caught a nice 5 pounder last time in the same spot but not this session - nothing to be seen... Well alot of pollack and smaller baby fish in the botlace... It looked soooo bassy too ! Bugger ! Next time...

Like Dave mentioned we found a small spot inthe shallows that is my new high tide spot (and Dave's high tide spot of some 30 years :) - great minds think alike) - a spot we both discovered for ourselves and found that we could share - it is juuuuust big enough for about 2 shots each and then the fish are spooked.

I managed a nice bass maybe a bit smaller than Dave's and tried a shallow aspetto for the second shot but as about 10 went past I didn't see one bigger so let them fin another day...

Great news on the bream - I am keen to catch a few this year and that is one of the areas I had earmarked for likely bream spotting. All we need now is a bit warmer water and for dentex to appear in September :) - I think if that happended I would be out of the door after work even quicker :)

Cheers
Ed

glowworm said:
Sorry to hear that i hope he will be ok.A large porbeagle has been seen by a couple of divers off portland bill in the last two weeks making it,s prescence known.One very experienced diver who collects flats and scallops off the bill was buzzed a couple of times and harrassed enough to get straight out.Be carefull guy's i look forward to your dive reports i would hate to read about an accident.
I think we know the same person :) Apparently he was terrified and he had to ditch his belt with his flatties on.

Just a thought, i've still got English nationnality so I don't think i'd have any restrictions but if I wanted to come to the channel islands with French friends would I have any paper work to do ?

We have a limit on bass shooting foreigners - sorry but we already have one here so the quota is full... you'll have to wait until Fabio gets tired of shooting Guernsey fish...

Just jesting :) - I think that you should be fine but if you check the guernseyhome site (something like www.guernseyhome.gg I think ? And mail them they should be able to let you know any restrictions - we have plenty of French and less Spanish tourists here over the summer so I don't think you will have a problem - give any of us a shout if you fancy some spearfishing whilst over here - there are a few good spots :))

Take it easy - Ed

water temp : 16 C
max depth : 7.5m
max dive time : 1.19mins
no of dives : 23
----------------------------

Well headed out after work (there were scorch marks on the doors on the way out...) with Pete to see if we could find a few fish.

Thought that the east looked nice so parked up and finally found Pete (there are 4 possible carparks that I could have meant apparently Pete tried them all :) I knew where I meant !), changed and I thought I'd try the 3mm suit today as my brother is over soon and I was thinking of lending him my 5mm as I doubt he is acclimatised to the sea yet.

Pretty strong currents and we headed out to an offshore reef to hopefully have a look in the lea for a bass and also for a bream or two. Bream have been caught in the last two weeks so we were hopeful...

Really strong currents... But we got to where we needed to be. About 5m above bootlace that broke into kelp and then tumbled down to mixed gravel and sand at about 8m or so.

We were both fishing aspetto and Pete is getting good at it but both of us found it hard in the current. Came across a small area right out of the current and one went down while the other stayed to keep an eye out and mark the start of the breathe up.

I shot a nice 3 pound bass on aspetto - just a solitary one - let it bottom out (reels are nice :)) and then went down to retrieve it.

A boat was about coming through the channel at the other end of the bay past all the moored boats so we hugged a rock and waited about 3 minutes until it drew level - I thought it might have been Dave's boat (about the right time if you had been coming back) but instead the guy yelled at us that we should have a bobber... Maybe but with two of us having seen him about 500m away and patiently waiting until he was past with two spearguns in the air I guess that was good enough (no legal requirement for us to carry floats according tothe harbour master... But according to him boats need to avoid divers in the water, so perhaps they should have taken a course that didn't bring them within 5m of us [we were on an inside channel - and anyway they headed over to Herm after seeing us... weird])...

Anyway we drifted down to a small island taking the occasional drop down to the bottom while the other watched for boats. Really nice to drift with the current at about 5knots(?), I came across a large bass (I reckon at lest 6 pounds) that was sitting in the current - I drifted over it and rolled under to get a shot but as I rolled it buggered off.... Anyway hit the island and fished on the point that sits on the edge of the current.

More aspetto in about 5m onto bootlace - we were both seeing alot of 'big ass bass'... I landed a 5.5 pound bass that I noticed at the corned of my vision and waited for it to swim across behind some weed before swinging to where I thought it might come out - lucky me :) Nice head shot too. It bottomed and I went down after a bit of surface time to grab it.

Time was ticking and Pete had a meal to make so we beetled back to a small bay (you might know this one Dave ?!) to look for Dave's bream but sadly another 3 pound head shot bass making a trio for me and none for Pete... to be fair I was alongside Pete and he didn't shoot the larger one out of the shoal so after 10secs I thought what the hell and lined up for a head shot.

A bit of monstrous swimming back across the 'river' and home...

I was planning a 3am start tomorrow but this turned into a 5am start but this is waning to a 'sod-it have a lie in' start ... so maybe in the afternoon.

Pics to come later... Happy diving - Ed

Last edited:
More on the local larger fish life....

http://www.postmodern.com/~fi/sharkpics/ellis/porbeagl.htm
"All the porbeagles can be characterized as temperate or even coldwater species. This is one of the reasons that there have been no documented attacks on swimmers; even though the porbeagle is certainly capable, there are just not very many people in the waters where the porbeagle lives.......The porbeagle is not as deadly as the white or as graceful as the mako, but it is among the fastest swimmers in the sea, and therefore it ranks at the very peak of the food chain. It is the "top predator" in its own territory."

http://www.zoo.co.uk/~z9015043/porbeagle.html
"Although observed and filmed subsurface whilst showing apparent curiosity and close-quarters approaches to divers, this species is not implicated in any attacks on humans (despite some spurious claims to the contrary). Nevertheless, the active behaviour, large size and dentition of this shark should invite the respect of those who encounter it."

More dreams...
=============
Also I forgot to mention that Pete saw and missed a very large bass tonight - he said it was so long it was swimming strangely (but was def. a bass) - he estimated it as being in excess of 10 pounds... the mythical ten+ pounder...

http://servicios.eldiariomontanes.es/pg050804/prensa/noticias/Sociedad/200508/04/DMO-TEL-137.html

Last edited:
Porbeagles are basically fish eating sharks, not prone to attacking humans.
But if you have a bunch of bleeding fish hanging round your waist then Mr Por. Beagle could be forgiven for Biting a big chunk out of your ass, while attempting to eat some fish.
I would recommend the use of a float and stringer to hold fish while diving in this area.
The teeth on a Porbeagle are Tricuspid that is to say each tooth has two smaller points each side of the main point, and while not nearly as ferocious as a Mako tooth would still go through neoprene and flesh with not much bother.
Have fun and be safe , and if you do see the Shark try and get some underwater pics!!

Thanks Huan
Apparently the easiest way to tell the difference between a Porbeagle and a Mako is to get them to open their mouths. Then you look inside and if they have a pointed round section tooth with 2 side spikes it's a porgy but if it has triangle serated teeth it's a Mako (or a great White).
Must try that next time!
Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT