• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch 214m News from Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: the broader vision

CNF is the Formula One of Apnea.
Big Blue was before yesterday. Open your mind and see the future!

Look, it's just an arbitrary comparison. I compare 'NLT vs. CNF' with 'Formula One vs. Marathon', in as much that one goes to more visible extremes (F1/NLT), but the other is much more awesome from an athletic perspective (Marathon/CNF).

You're most likely right, CNF is a big part of the Apnea future. But again, all that depends if the over all focus shifts or not, and I seriously don't think anyone is capable of controlling that path, 'cause no one can control Human Nature. I still think NLT will always maintain a fascination, simply and only because it reaches the greatest depths. Or maybe it won't, who knows?

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Last edited:
I think Herbert will solve this dilemma rather quickly - once he does the planned 1,000 ft (~305m) NLT dive, I believe it will take a while till we need to argue about removing or keeping NLT under AIDA again :D

I think it would be polite towards Herbert (and towards his team and sponsors) to stop poisoning this thread with this discussion, and rather starting a new thread about the need of NLT. It should come with a poll. We would then list arguments for and against it there rather than here. Although I know it is not true in most cases, questioning NLT here looks more like people are jealous of Herbert's achievement than wanting to make AIDA or freediving better.

Last edited:
Well said Trux.

We should at this point be congratulating Herbert and team on their amazing achievement. They not only smashed the record but they developed a range of methods of improving safety. (Now if they could only sort out their camera troubles.)

We freedivers are all pushing boundaries whether they are our own or WR's. Herb and team are to be commended for their approach. When he gets to 300 metres we will all no doubt have many questions. And if AIDA distance themselves from NLT now they just might miss out on all the fun!:t

Herbert 185 meter dive the 13th of June and the 214 meter dive the 14th of June, where both follow the advice in AIDA Guidelines and Protocol for Sled Diving published 19th of January 2007
- both dives went perfect.

How many athletes are seriously doing NL?

Re: the broader vision

This is a stale point of view and without any knowledge in Public Relations.
CNF is the Formula One of Apnea.

Hhaha! For me formula one is REALLY something that came out of the ass of mankind. A real waste of this planets resources and nothing I want to use to compare with freediving. I understand what you are discussing though.

Now back to topic. Great dive Herbert. And this is just a step towards something bigger? Unbeleivable.

Herbert knows he is no#1. We have all told him. I dont think he minds that his achievements stir up ideas and emotions and that this thread evolves.
"congratulation threads" are soo boring.

Would be interesting to hear what kind of counterpart Herbert would like to have as an athlete. How would he want NLT to be regulated in the future.
Is he happy to comunicate with the board or would he want a more specialized group?

Sebastian

"Ultimate fighting/K1" compared to "olympic boxing" is a better comparison :)

Herbert 185 meter dive the 13th of June and the 214 meter dive the 14th of June, where both follow the advice in AIDA Guidelines and Protocol for Sled Diving published 19th of January 2007
- both dives went perfect.
Yeah, after Carlos nearly died and after this:
Dangers of No limit
...was discussed here on DB.

All of a sudden freedivers (and the aidaboard) realized that DCS actually exists down there in the depth. Re-active or pro-active?

Yeah we know KIMC - Aida is great - perfect - no improvements needed.
Why dont you write your name or piss off.
(Is it allowed to be that blunt?)

Sebastian

Last edited:
Did Carlos have any big experience from NL before his dive?
When he had all info from Musimu NL-DCS dive to 209m, why then make a NL dive to 180+ for over 5 minutes? Improvements needed? Of course, YES but also higher IQ, please.

Last edited:
I don't think you could accuse him of possessing a low IQ.
Its me he is refering to. I am the one with the low IQ. Its a common fascistic way to debate. It has actually been written many scientific papers on how it works.

If you feel accused:
1) Deny
2) Attack the messenger
3) Blame others aswell
4) Admit half

Under number two you can use several techniques: make up silly nicknames for the person in order to deminior (?) ("come on sweatheart you know better than that". Bill often used that technique before him and me got thrown out of the swedish board) / imply that the person has no experience (like Pipin told me to shut up because I had not been down to 170 meters) / Straight forward promise to beat up the person when you see him - then you take it back and say it was a joke (but the other person might still be worried and think twice before voicing his opinion) / or say that the person has no IQ (as in this case).

Which is interesting. Since it is some kind of defence for the aida board (oh why do people take it so personal and feel attacked, we are just talking about possibilities and alternatives). Claiming that Carlos had no depth experience (one of the most experienced deep diving persons in the world, with lots of VWT training and records). And then refering to Musimus dive which is an incident that should have been enough for the initiative for a "training document for NLT".

Sebastian

@sebastian: dont feed the troll!
DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

Reactions: cebaztian
Many years ago, Jacques Mayol became the first human to officially reach 100 meters, and from that story came 'The Big Blue', and from 'The Big Blue' came a worldwide interest in this thing called freediving. The media discovered it, and thousands of people, like myself, were inspired enough by images from that movie to eventually make it into this thing called freediving.

The media have been slated in this thread, but I am in the media, and understand the concerns, and thankfully I understand freediving. From me, this momentus day has recieved the most positive coverage it could recieve on the countries biggest radio stations. Thanks to efforts of guys like Mig and Herbert's team, I was able to follow it 'live', and it was reported as live. And thanks to Mig and Herbert, I will hopefully this week do a telephone interview with Herbert to broadcast on my radio station. The difference is, this time around, the listeners know who Herbert Nitsch is, and what he has achieved, because they followed it 'live'! When I got the news as it happened, I yelled with joy, a mixture of relief that he was OK, and a mixture of exhiliaration that I had witnessed 200.

From a media perspective, and a freedivers perspective, and a human perspective, saturday was a momentus day. With all due respect to all the record holders 'in between', Saturday will go down in history as the day that a human passed 200 meters. I fully understand and appreciate the skills and committment that goes into CW, CW NF, FI, etc etc, and that is where the history of this sport lies for the majority. But what Herbert achieved on saturday had all the ingredients to be realised as a 'Return to The Big Blue'.
The human drama was there,thanks to the tragedy of the past few years with Audrey, Louic etc, the sense of occasion was there thanks to technology, and the depth was there...not 185m, or 197m but 215 meters. It may as well have been 201...the fact is, it was 200 hard, cold, deep and dark meters below the ocean that had every listener and every journalist in my circle in it's grip. I stood alongside people at my radio station that had never seen a freedive before, watch the video of the dive on DB, and I saw them get goosebumps! It was raw emotion, and Herbert had thousands of absolute strangers with him as he rode that sled. I got goosebumps just seeing what ONE DIVE has done for my sport.

Why? Because he went past 200 meters, and he entered, after 'The Big Blue', the next frontier. Rightly or wrongly, for the media, this was a defining day, and ALL FREEDIVERS will benefit. I felt the emotion, and I was proud to have witnessed it. And now I will move on to my own freediving, be it CW, FI or spearfishing. But I recognise that I have just seen something special, and for that I am pleased.

There may be many who disagree with what I've written here, and who will feel that I've got too emotional with this, but this past saturday was, in all indications to this Capetown journalist and freediver, a massive, massive day. Maybe we can forget for a short while the politics, and the bickering, and all raise our glasses to Herbert, to his crew and the NL for what it's done..again..for our sport.

Kind Regards

Jeff

I do congratulate Herbert, really. He and the team have done wonders and may have developed a safer system. The proof of course will be the many dives during the next year as Herbert refines and tests the equipment, his ability, courage and care. We are all aware of the dangers faced at this depth and the dangers have to increase as the depth is increased by such a margin as is planned. Mortality rate at around 175m is currently acceptable. However, it is a very dangerous arena, probably the most dangerous arena in the World and I cant think of anything that has claimed such a high percentage of human life. No Limits underlines the most extreme of physical and technical challenges and we have to applaud Herbert with honour. I am sure Herbert is very aware of the risks involved with these endeavours and we all only concerned for his safety.

I do agree with Trux, a new thread could start to examine the pros and cons. I dont like playing the devils advocate here, but I do believe contrary opinions assists the discussion.

Nolimits is not my sport!
In my opinion it isnt a sport. It is an dangerous experiment with a human body: When will it breaks?

Finally someone saw a positive side to what happened on Saturday... I was lucky enough to be there during the 214m dive.
Although I cannot put my finger on it something happened that afternoon...

I was one of the first to voice concerns about the preparation and new equipment etc involved in this dive but what I saw was that Herbert and the team made big leaps in NLT diving technology/planning/execution and what they did worked. I think this dive will have an impact in the way sled diving is done and it will even give us ideas about what could be done differently in the more "athletic" diciplines.

Bottom line: Herbert and every member of the team deserves congratulations on a job well done...

As far as the rest of the NLT discussion and who controls what I think many valuable lessons are there to be learned from this event and we need time to take all this info in.

Cheers to everyone and I wish you all a great summer (its diving time :D )
Stavros

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT