• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch 214m News from Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Will do for sure, I am waiting on Herberts contact details. In fact if Stephan is ok with it, I will try to put the interview onto DB for all to hear.

Regards

jeff

The HF CC EqEx is up on Ebay...

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140131060374]eBay.co.uk: Herbert Nitsch World Record 214m HF CC EqEx (item 140131060374 end time 25-Jun-07 13:12:44 BST)[/ame]

:O)
MIG

Great film. I just have to stop work now and get my raft out, maybe its windy enough to get it on the plane. Anyone in Weymouth around 5pm, come over, will be in Portland harbour.

Got out bid on the EqEx though, thats a bit of a bummer.

Don't forget:
"Freediving... yeah that's with those guys jumping from high rocks in the water..."
I even once got the comparison with jumping out of planes... !?!?!
Hunlee from SA was interviewed by a paper (very stressed journalist). She explained how lovely the freefalling part of freediving was. The article stated she did freefall jumps from 30 meter without parachute from planes :)

Sebastian

Suggestion of Aida mediastrategy

Last edited:
its an edit dude. Not a mistake. Its drama, its not meant to be technically accurate.

"The article stated she did freefall jumps from 30 meter without parachute from planes :)"

Ha ha wonder why the interviewer didn't ask how she did repetitive dives

Ok now I am all confused... I was there on saturday 16th june at 13:35 (approx) when Herbert did the 214m dive... how come I have heard (ebay add + the D9 photo) of the 214 WR dive taking place on the 14th of June (Thursday) ?

As far as I know during the week there was one cancellation on Tuesday 12th, a 185m WR dive on Wed 13th, a 195m training dive on the 14th, photo day on the 15th and 214m WR dive on the 16th...

Can MIG or someone else who was there please clarify what happened when as I am starting to get a bit puzzled hearing that the WR I witnessed took place two days earlier..................

Cheers Stavros

Thank for the support and video Alki!

About the media being stupid, pathatic and willfully ignorand at many times. It's just a fair exposee of how much they really care, and where their true alliances are. Most, like dogs, are becomming like their masters, consciously.

I much rather spend my time with truely intrested, human people.

Love, peace and water,

Kars

Just to let you know I am selling a very rare signed T-Shirt 185m on Ebay...

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140131229450]eBay.co.uk: Very Rare Herbert Nitsch Signed Freediving TShirt 185m (item 140131229450 end time 25-Jun-07 23:51:42 BST)[/ame]

:eek:
MIG

Directly after Herbert 214m dive he sign his EQEX, the three special D9s and two t-shirts. (after the 185m dive he sign only one t-shirt)

The D9s are back at Suunto.
The EQEX is on eBay
The 185m shirt is on eBay
ONE of the two 214m shirts will be find on eBay tomorrow.
(this will be the only one for sale)

214tshirt.jpg

Hi everybody,

I´m not sure are you interested but here´s couple of little pictures from Herbert´s event: Freediving Pictures
Feedback is also welcome, I´m only trying to learn how to take these :)

- kimmo

ps. I put this link here because I couldn´t remember all the organizer addresses anyway :)

Last edited:
From Jorg's site:

Update: So I had a talk with Bill Stromberg, president of AIDA International. And he confirmed my idea of what happened. June 14th was the real deal, and June 16th was the show dive for the media. This way freediving was marketed the best way possible without any possible ugly stuff videotaped or anything. The funny thing is that on the ‘’show” dive there were 3 Greek AIDA judges on site as spectators and they did not see that it was not the real dive. And they even didn’t see that Herbert didn’t do his surface protocol the right way. Of course delaying announcements of new world records can only be done with record attempts and not with competitions. And it’s in the best of AIDA and all the freedivers that the media is happy with us, so in my opinion this is totally acceptable, as long as afterwards everything is honestly told to the hardcore freediving community.
clip_image001.gif

UNQUOTE

So the story NOW is that the 214m dive actually took place BOTH on Thursday and on Saturday... I am sorry but in my humble opinion it is not very likely that the "show" dive was to 214m because:

1. Why put Herbert in additional danger for no reason when a 50m hang would be sufficient. (the team was already worried about the danger in each and every deep dive to allow an extra 214m dive when it was not really necessary ... or not?)
2. The organiser's didn't allow anyone in the water on Saturday apart from their divers - no matter how far from the dive platform we said we were going to be...with the additional info it sounds to me that they didn't want anyone in the water seeing what was going on...
3. If you are going to go to 214m on Saturday anyway why do it two days before too?

So I have to conclude that the Saturday dive was just a "shallow show dive" - anything else would not follow common sense...

I have to say that this deeply saddens me - is this what we want for freediving? To present stunts for the media instead of the real thing? Is this going to give our sport the media attention we want when it leaks to the media that what they were invited to attend was a hoax and not the real deal? Does it give credibility to AIDA when the judges are part of such an attempt were the media is being misled (keep in mind that the media was invited to witness a record dive being made according to AIDA rules)? On top of that the freediving community was misled with "live" coverage of "the WR dive" etc (which I guess is a minor thing)...

As far as the Greek AIDA judges - there were two judges present (a third one was actually part of the organising team so I guess he knew what was going on) ...none of the judges (I am not a judge by the way) were allowed in the water and none were timing the dive to the second...we had watches but there was time given by the official judges during the dive so we accepted that - so we all actually accepted that what we were witnessing was a WR dive going well and not an attempt by the organisers to mislead us...furthermore Herbert did a surface protocol when he surfaced coached by Markus which might have had some tiny flaws (I think the ok sign was not given directly to a judge but cannot be sure, the 30sec period after completion of the protocol seemed a bit fast and there was no white card given at any stage which seemed strange...) but all in all nothing really unacceptable

So, they pulled a big one on us, but it’s understandable with all this media pressure and sponsorship these days, that failure is not an option. Now everybody must be convinced that it wasn’t a lucky shot! Two times in 3 days to 214 meters for Herbert… wow!
UNQUOTE

Sorry Jorg but what sponsorship and what media pressure are you referring to? The event sponsor was Alki who also took part in organising the event...(so its not a distant sponsor demanding results but one that is involved in the day to day goings on of the event)...and media??? come on !!! did you see any news about this anywhere? On Saturday there was only one TV camera (no reporter) from a local TV station and about a dozen people with their compact digicams hanging from the side of the media boat...is this the media pressure that would stress the athlete??? COME ON!!

I have to say that I am deeply saddened by the trend that is developing during the last WR events to mislead people and press about what is really going on - I think this can cause significant damage to the image AIDA has as a credible governing body for the sport of freediving, when the press gets the information that the records they are invited to attend actually took place a few days before...

Stavros

Last edited:
Reactions: trux
So the story NOW is that the 214m dive actually took place BOTH on Thursday and on Saturday... I am sorry but in my humble opinion it is not very likely that the "show" dive was to 214m because:
In my first version of the article I said he did it twice, but in the update I wrote after talking with bill I clearly said he did a show dive. And you don't do show dives to 214 meters! :t

I understood that there were a lot of media present, but now I have heard there was almost none there, and the one who was there was from Alki himself.. So that changes my mind about this somewhat. Looking at the media worldwide and the lack of coverage about this dive, it seems logical there was no media present... otherwise we would have seen this stuff in the news.

When this "double" event was planed we did not know how much media there should be. We got the info that there should be a lot of media and I guess Alki can tell you more about this.

When there is record attempt, AIDA has the possibility to delay the announcement for a new record, just to make sure to gain as much media we can. This is not possible for competition results. Herbert got his record, Herbert, Freediving and AIDA got the media - and media got there news. Media simply ask us if we could help, and we did.

Everybody there had a great time - some of us more than one times.

/B

ps. Herbert did the SP in wrong order the 16th

Last edited:
To Herbert and his team WOW, WOW and WOW.
Whether it was using the EQEX or not - it is still simply incredible.

So very very deep - Herbert what did the dive feel like?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT