• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holiday Guernsey 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just can't wait until we arrive:friday:friday

I seriously need the break at the moment and i can't think of a better place to be

Yeah, its good having a break lined up and something to look forward to...
The water is sooo much clearer than last year too.
Looking forward to seeing y'all!
You guys have any particular plans/hopes for this year? spots do dive etc.?

At last I am back on line :friday
flattie bashing will be the plan for the first day over the low tide, this is a good idea because it will keep us away from the shore where we might encounter the guys fishing a bass competition.
So for the chaps arriving on the morning ferry it could a long day!
If we assume the hotel check in is 10.30 (at the earliest) & the ferry docks at about 8.30? High tide is at 10am - maybe a bit of boat fishing on Daves "Spearfish" for a few mackerel or if its to rough, coffee at Victor Hugo's a spot of lunch & a low tide dive getting in the water at one hour before low = 3ish. Not a bad tide, 1.1mtr
Evening entertainment - hopefully fish in the firehouse?
Tuesday I think we should try a morning dive over the incoming tide & another dive around 4pm however the ferry for Herm departs at 7pm from St Peter Port so perhaps we can discuss the dive time?
Wednesday might be an opportunity for a night dive but as low falls around 530pm it will be a half tide coming up dive! Dave will be in charge of night dives & he might have other suggestions?
Thursday will be Lobster night...menu & details yet to be announced.

All sounds good to me mate! I will try and fit in diving and drinking so that I don't get into too much trouble with Mrs Spaniard! roflrofl. I'm sure we can manage it............

Aah Spaniard! Mrs Foxfish here!! You will be pleased to know that in our local rag at the weekend, they had an article on "Sarnie Cherie"! Basically, the best places to get a crab sarnie in Guernsey. What I propose (even though I don't eat crab!) is that myself, Mrs Spaniard and Miss Spaniard Jnr, take a jolly, when I am off, and Mrs Spaniard can see for herself which Establishment is the best and which one gets her vote!

I am really looking forward to seeing you guys again along with Podge, Jim and meeting Gloworm when you are all over in August. Party on!!

p.s. "There seems to be an issue between hand picked and air blown crab....."

Reactions: podge
Hello Sarah my dear, glad to see you on here! Camilla loves crab sarnies so any excuse to eat them will do.......... Can't wait to see you guys again and introduce you to the family! see ya soon...............:t

Reactions: foxfish
There seems to be quite a few crayfish around this year, I could possibly organise one if you guys are interested.
However be warned they are not cheap, about £10.50lb so a nice one is going to be £100. I recon a 10lb-er would give about 6-8 people a decent eating experience.

Mart I should like to try one, just to see if it’s that much better than Lobster?
So that’s a big yes from me.
Not long now!!!

I was offered a 9lber today for £95 but turned it down because we have a big party tomorrow with all the food already organised.
I quite fancy trying the butter method on a big cray - boil him for two mins, get the meat out the shell & simmer in Sark butter for 6 mins & let it cool, finely cut the meat with a razor sharp knife into 2mm slices & serve with a cheese based salad?

That does sound very nice mart.

Does Guernsey have it's own brewery for real ales?

As long as it comes with Salad then it must be healthy right, uummm Crayfish cooked in Sark butter but by the sound of it a 9 or 10 LBer might not be big enough….!!

Well done Derek, you've sorted a first course for Podge but what will the rest of us eat? roflroflrofl

I can get big deep sea crabs & lobsters ok but do you guys really want to eat fish every day?
I cant guarantee a cray but will have a chat with my mate to see what can be done, most respectable fisherman dont like to keep crabs in store boxes for to long as they loose condition so I wont know about the crayfish until a week before you guys arrive.
PS gave the firehouse a good warming last night as we managed to fit over 20 drunk singing folk in there!

The local beer sounds good.

Glad too see the firehouse has been fired up and working ok.

If you rely on podge,jim and myself to catch fish for food it might be sausages every day

Last edited:
Not long to go now peeps.
Hope you’ve ordered the sunshine and it must almost be time to release the Bass stock pile for us all to plunder.:martial
Spaniard how’s yer zider arm???:friday:friday
Dave get well soon mate as we’ll be lost without you.:head:head

My zider arm is ok it's my 'load-a-speargun-and-shoot-a-fish-arm' which is worrying me! Oh well, can't go around spearing bass which would be a turn out for the books....I'm sure you will all be gentle with me.roflrofl

Yep not long now!
I have had problems with the Cray but not giving up yet - pretty sure we can get one but because of the spring tide the week before you come the netters cant set their nets.
Soooo..... my mate is going to try & get one this week, cook it for 1.5 mins & freeze it in a block of ice!!
That should make it as fresh as possible so I can then slice him up & cook in the Sark butter.

Well we are committed now, 10.5 lb crayfish = £125.00!!
Lets hope it is worth it.
Not long now....

Mart by the time you’ve finished with it it’ll worth more than every penny.:king
Sorry I didn’t have to much time on the phone this morning only work has been frantic ever since I got back from Cornwall.
Meet you at Victor Hugo’s on Monday morning when the ferry has docked and it’ll be coffee and pastries for all.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…