• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
How'd ya get on... someone better be getting out in this weather... looking like my next window is wed morning (

No such luck...viz is still crap down here, the strong tides are pulling all the rotting weed off the shore and back into the water, the sea is just brown :(

I was out again last night for a quick dive, went out in a spot I have not been to for awhile. Viz was abit murky but 4mtrs in spots and big shoals of Pollack, Bass and Mullet around.

Took two average size Bass

I went out on saturday and sunday in Kinsale. vis was very poor for an area around 3-4m . see no bass. got few mullets and small pollock .

Was there anyone resently diving anywhere in Beara penisulla ? anywhere near Bear island ?
just wonder is there any acceptable visibility in a water ?

I was out again last night for a quick dive, went out in a spot I have not been to for awhile. Viz was abit murky but 4mtrs in spots and big shoals of Pollack, Bass and Mullet around.

Took two average size Bass

Photo's or it didn't happen :)

what spot was that... I'd say a lot would be fairly brown all right, espcially that place I went with ya and the place I suggested?

Rob: I went in just around the point from where we were, tried the beach but the viz was crap.

I am still waiting for the batteries for my torch as normal ones do not fit so can't make the night dive, when I order them did'nt realise they have to come from China.

Might go out later this afternoon as finished work at 2:30 on a Friday

what type of batteries are they? What type of torch?
Let me know how you get on, still thinking bout this evening... Tides not perfect, but maybe as good as it gets!

It's one of those Trust fire torches from Ebay, never realised it needed a certain type of rechargeable battery and their taking ages to arrive

it didnt come with a battery? thats unusual all right!
My backup uses atandard AA batteries, you can borrow that until your comes... not terribly bright though.

Cheers for the offer but will probably leave it until I get a main torch as could'nt see anything last time.

Will be around on Sunday evening for a dive though if I can get the permission slip

Cheers for the offer but will probably leave it until I get a main torch as could'nt see anything last time.

Will be around on Sunday evening for a dive though if I can get the permission slip

Yep, I'm looking at doing the dog for the next few days and hoping I get some permission too :)

I have just the place pickout out for winds and swell for sunday!

Let me know how you get on today and the viz you find :)

very funny scott.... Not!! :)

no didn't get out. Craig reported bad viz. I was really hoping to get to a spot at dusk, check out viz and dive into the dark, but by the time I got home from work it was already dark, plus I'd be diving the high which was not ideal.
decided to leave the viz improve a bit and try this afternoon on the low. Then perhaps go west for a dawn dive tomorrow.

I've a lull in college and my second job just finished a project so I've a bit off free time.

Went out yesterday to a local beach with family and I got in for an hour but conditions were crap. Saw a few but all too small. I got out after an hour.

Up this morning at 3.30am and made a break for west cork. There are no stores in west Cork open at 6am for a cup of tea...................................................
Got to site and had some tomato soup and sambo while waiting for sunrise, got suited up and hit the water in the pitch black just as a the dawn was breaking. Used the torch for a little bit. I went hunting for fish first off. And while I wasn't looking for pollock I couldnt pass up this beauty... 6lb 7oz. There were shoals of pollock but not much over 3 or 4 lb.
Saw plenty of crabs took this and lost his bigger brother at some stage.
Got to a new scallop spot and filled up my float, then headed back to shore looking for something exotic, but nada :(

Still... not a bad mixed bag :)
422964_4515636686321_1356225231_n.jpg

Bout 3+ hours in the water. Cork was 14'c yesterday, but west Cork was 12'c today... a noticeable drop. The place was CRAWLING with jelly fish of ever kind...
Viz was about 3 in general, but about 5m at the scallop spot.

Reactions: Derekn and foxfish
Up this morning at 3.30am and made a break for west cork. There are no stores in west Cork open at 6am for a cup of tea...................................................

Now that's dedication :)

Well done Rob, some nice eating in that catch.

Well done Rob, that's a very nice pollack. In my opinion the big pollack give a much nicer, thicker steak to batter and deep fry. I sometimes salt them for a few hours first too.
Can't give you rep 'til I spread it around.

Well done Rob, that's a very nice pollack. In my opinion the big pollack give a much nicer, thicker steak to batter and deep fry. I sometimes salt them for a few hours first too.
Can't give you rep 'til I spread it around.

Thanks Dave, Yep I salted these for a while before using them (read about it in the book "Cod") but I also left them overnight in the fridge and they firmed up really well. 1 fillet did the 4 of us for tea 2 days ago, with the other in the freezer, we had crab cakes last night and some scallops on monday before. Few scallops and a pollock fillet in the freezer should keep me going for a while :)

I'll post a few pics as the forum is gone a little quiet... Winter mode as Chealy suggests?

Monday night - scalops on a spicy chickpea puree with garden beans
Tuesday night - Deep fried pollock gougons and scallop + black pudding parcels. Homemade chunky chips.
Wednesday night - Thai Crab cakes on crispy black pudding with chunky garden veg.

Attachments

• 426205_4516745674045_1242478882_n.jpg
    426205_4516745674045_1242478882_n.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 546257_4525727178577_1082341277_n.jpg
    546257_4525727178577_1082341277_n.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 548806_4521411470687_6092842_n.jpg
    548806_4521411470687_6092842_n.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: shiny1
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT