• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland Spearing 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Brilliant idea !!! Much better then trou away dead fish . On other note - why catch so much fish that should be trouet away ?

I have to agree with you Danas, dumping the best of quality food is just criminal, but the damage that is being done to the sea from gathering it is also a huge concern. This is why the whole sustainability and eco-protection heads of Europe need to get their house in order.

That makes me sick tbh... and is the reason why I don't buy any fish at all unless its caught with a line.
He is just trying to argue so he may increase his quota. All trawler's should be stopped and more sustainable methods used....
130 boxes of monkfish killed and given away for free when they could be increasing the population in the water....

Look at the video at the bottom of this page and look at 0:29 seconds in. A woman is pocketing a monkfish no bigger than her hand bout 23cm in size I'd say... and only the tail is good...
Wexford fisherman gives away free monkfish after exceeding EU quota - RT News
Same at 1:08

Surely they have to impose rules like this, if they let fishermen keep fish over the quotas then there would be no point in having the quota.

It's a waste of fish but quotas are there for a purpose and I'm all for them.

I think he has shot himself in the foot, it just highlights the overfishing that is being done and we normally don't get to see it like this. He is only one trawler that brought in the fish, can you imagine how much more fish is just being dumped and we don't see it. I don't think quotas work as they don't stop the fish from being caught in the first place and they keep the price for fish artificially high. If the price of fish dropped so low because they had to give it away would it not become un-economical for the trawlers to go out and catch it. Environmental impacts and sustainability are unfortunately much further down the list but if they find its costing more to put diesel in their tanks than they can get for selling or giving away the catch it would put them out of business overnight.

Suppose it's a catch 22 situation, no quotas equals no limit on the catches each trawler can have. Then when you have quotas you get the situation in the video or dumping fish.

Makes me want to go stock the freezer a little more so I've enough fish to tide me over the winter.

Might try my luck in East Cork after work but reckon the viz will be crap.

Id say crap till next week !

Thing about quota's is if you limit it to fish, then fishermen will spend hours and hours trying to catch a profitable species which drives up diesel cost and bycatch...
A much better solution is to limit what the amount of "hours" spent fishing rather than the fish themself. Quotas for time spent fishing. let them keep whatever they catch. maybe each boat can only fish 1 day a week or 50 days a year etc. No bycatch and less trawlers on spending time on the ocean.

Tomorrow looks ok weather wise but the viz will probably be poor after all the rain we've had I think.

A time quota is an interesting idea, wonder what they'd make of being part-time fishermen?

lads anyone know where id get a cheap fish smoker from...got some tasty smoked mackeral in the market last week and would love to try other fish...

I think foxfish is the man to ask about smokers. I've seen some for sale from 50 to 150 online but if I'm not mistaken you can make one out of a dustbin, some bricks and a wire wrack. The big hardware chains sell the wood chips.

cheers guys...the homemade one sounds a lot better...nothing like making your own... defo gonna give it a go, something to keep me busy for a while....

went out this morning off blackhead...was well worth the 6am wakeup and drive in the fog, got there shortly before high tide and fog had lifted, water was like glass and crystal clear, best we've seen this year, saw plenty of life, pollock, mullet and plenty of shoals of smaller fish, easily known i havent been out since august, one dive and my head started, stopped the sinus rinses few weeks back and it defo showed.... couldnt dive more than 1-2 mtrs and the pain started... had to swim on surface for over 2 hrs but still really enjoyed it.... great being back in the water again..... only one of us caught anything a nice sized mullet, our first mullet shot there.... water temp was 14 degrees and viz was 8mtrs+....

lads anyone know where id get a cheap fish smoker from...got some tasty smoked mackeral in the market last week and would love to try other fish...

Frying pan, tinfoil and a tea bag :)

Chinese tea smoked mackeral...lurvley

actually found the watch through that website Derek... was searching reviews for the omer MIK1 and under other notes it said also being sold as snorkeling master so searched that... found a few reviews on it and all seem to be good, 90euro for a generic brand that does the same thing suppose i couldnt go wrong esp when funds are tight at the moment... looks identical to the oscaris... same price too

I had a Timex Helix Dive watch for a while which was very cheap but it only lasted one season, I didn't really need all the features of an expensive freediving watch so when I seen a Mares Nemo Excel for 90 euros on Donedeal I went for it. The Timex died when water leaked through the buttons and I noticed from the comments about the Ocaris that it had unreliable buttons but I'd say the quality is a lot better than the Timex.

before i started spearing i would only snorkel and wrecked a few watches by wearing them into the water... some that said 50m resist and one that said 100m.... reading up i found out that a watch would wanna be at least 200m water resistant to go under the water with... i came across a few reviews about the pyle watch, one from another spearfishing forum and they were all good.... if its a pile (not pyle) of crap at least its only 90quid wasted could be worse

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT