• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is there any countries that u dont need spearfishing licence

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
In Greece this year the spearfishing was free and needed no tax or permit.
Anyhow, there area aereas where spearfishing is forbiden. In order to find more infos, it is adviced to visit the Port Authority and inform directly from the source in this matter.
For the next year, there are no info's about the regim of spearfishing in Greece, as far as I know.
Regards

In the USA Maine requires no salt water license, Alabama you need both license and an additional spearfishing endorsement. Most other places it's general but species are listed that can not be taken. Often there is a lobster and abilone stamp/endorsement/license required. There are also zones and areas that are preserves or parks and off limits. Check local rules first before you go and get in trouble. Enforcement can be very strict and there is NO bribery. That'll really get you in trouble here--not part of our culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawstraljan16
oo-caaaa-nada... Not only that, but you can scuba with spear gun. Would be interesting to try. Like mentioned above, just standard fishing licence, 20$ or so, free for kids, good for a year.

oo-caaaa-nada... Not only that, but you can scuba with spear gun. Would be interesting to try. Like mentioned above, just standard fishing licence, 20$ or so, free for kids, good for a year.

Not in Ontario tho. It's illegal, except for carp and a small white sucker season. :(

Scuba and normal spearfishing is free in Norway (in the ocean, in freshwater only pike (Esox lucius) is legal to hunt)

:p I grew up doing both, but I have later discovered that the "holdingyourbreath" type is normal. ;)

Southen Cyprus does not require a license for breathhold.
North does.
Turkey does(weak controlls though)
What about UK now? how does BIG BROTHER control the spearo there now?

I'm afraid you're incorrect re Southern Cyprus. A licence is required for spearo (currently 35 euros per year) and spearo using scuba is forbidden. I know this because I have spoken in person to a member of the main branch of DFMR (Department of Fisheries and Marine Research) in Nicosia for definitive confirmation of the situation as I plan to go to Cyprus (from the UK) hopefully next year.

I was told the following specifics during my phone conversation with them (on 23 Oct 2014) :-

a) You can buy the licence from the main DFMR office in Nicosia or any of the 5 district offices in Larnaca, Paralimni, Limassol, Zygi and Paphos.

b) All that foreign tourists need to take with them for ID is their passport. I asked whether any photos or any other documentation were required and I was told no.

c) No matter where in Southern Cyprus you buy the licence, it allows you to spearo anywhere in Southern Cyprus (excluding locally specified restrictions of course as ever).

As for Turkey, a few years ago I rang their equivalent of Cyprus's DFMR (i.e. MARA Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs) and depressingly foreign tourist spearos are NOT allowed to spearfish privately. Instead you HAVE to find an official 'Tourist Fishing Guide' who can organise boat trips where he is authorised to issue each spearo with a 3-day licence, but this must be used within the guide's supervision. You can't THEN go off and use it to spearo privately. I very much suspect that that is STILL the current position. I do occasionally check the MARA website and there seems no sign of any change.

Can I say, Guys, that the ONLY way to get the definitive position of any country's policy regarding whether licences are needed to spearo there is to telephone that country's respective fishing department and get their ACTUAL policy position (from the horse's mouth so to speak!).

Their phone numbers ARE available on Cyperspace because I FOUND them!

Last edited:
Spearfishing isn't technically allowed in Cuba, but there is no enforcement and if you're paying guides to take you out... There'll never be an issue.

Scuba and normal spearfishing is free in Norway (in the ocean, in freshwater only pike (Esox lucius) is legal to hunt)
NoFair- can You tell a bit more about pike spearfishing (as I understand- it's basically lakes where You can find pikes). Is there some limits or places where freshwater spearfishing is forbidden (national parks or something like that) ?

It is legal to shoot pike with shotguns and rifles and then this has been extended to spearguns/spears. If there is trout or salmon in the lake you can get in big trouble since they are off limits in for spearfishing everywhere. So spearfishing is only legal in lakes if you have pike and no salmon or trout in the same lake

It is legal to shoot pike with shotguns and rifles and then this has been extended to spearguns/spears. If there is trout or salmon in the lake you can get in big trouble since they are off limits in for spearfishing everywhere. So spearfishing is only legal in lakes if you have pike and no salmon or trout in the same lake
:) It's quite trickie to find out in wich lake there are no trout or salmon!!! (in my opinion almost in every lake there are trout) Maybe there are some list of the lakes where definiately are no trout or salmon? Have You ever spearfished in freshwater lakes(any success)?

Never in fresh water. There is quite a lot of trout in the river next to our house, but I just look at them while I'm lying on the bottom. They would have been pretty easy to shoot if it was legal..

I have also seen trout out in the sea, but always small and I know its illegal to shoot them- so I catch them with rod and reel.
What trophy fishes have You spearfished in the sea?

Not really trophy fish. Not many in Norway either:oops:, but I've shot cod, saithe, wolffish and plaice etc. (and of course a few others, but no trophys)

I'm going to Norway every year- mainly to try hunt halibut or kveite. This year the biggest one was 25 kg. But I know guy who shot a 74 kg. halibut about a month ago.
Where in Norway are You located?

I live in the Southeast (close to Oslo). I work in Lofoten a bit, but there isn't much time to spearfish when I'm there..
I have dived along much of the coast, but I rarely spearfish when scubadiving.

Kveite can be impressive, never had a chance to shoot one. 25 kg is very nice.

Wolffish get pretty big and are great eating too.

Lofoten islands are very beautiful both under and above water. My companion lost his spear shaft, after shooting a large halibut (as he told me- about the lenght of his own ~1,90m) also in Lofoten.
My biggest kveite so far is 29,7 kg. But its like a lottery- You never know when the big kveite will wait for You.
Wolfies are very tasty (I love to eat all types of fish) and its a bit extreme to put them on the stringer, especially if they are big. I have shot some over 10 kg, but have seen photos of 18 kg wolfie.
And I really love a fish called breiflab(monk fish), but unfortunately I have seen them only 3 or 4 times :/
Around Oslo aren't the best spearfishing places as i have heard(?)

Not that good around here. A bit out the fjord is better (decent for plaice though)

The family has a summer home on an island further down the coast and conditions are much better there. (Wolffish are plenty)

I haven't seen monkfish while freediving, only scuba and at sub 30 meters and very rarely. Remember my father shot a huge one when I was a kid. Looked like a monster, but they do taste great.

Some prefer to take wolffish with a spear since then you have something solid to hold on too, they look more dangerous than they are and I don't know about anyone getting bitten.

Where do you spearfish when hunting for halibut?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT