• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Keys Kraze 04'

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Got this one saturday off Sugarloaf.

Attachments

• 5-3-04.jpg
    5-3-04.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 463
Do you use your free-shafting scuba gun for free-diving too? If so, do you attatch a line or still free-shaft?

Some taken scuba some freediving. The mutton and black wer in 120fsw, too deep for me to freedive. The smaller black in the photo of two was taken breath holding. I only use a float line if I am free diving deeper than 50 fsw. Most fish in this shallow are not big enough to take my shaft. And most reef fish will hole up when shot. I feel like free shafting gives me a higher percent of kill shots. Most of the time I can shoot and retreive the fish on the same breath.

Thanks for the info!

Just realize I didn't say this before - Nice fish! :D

i recommend carrying a float with you at all times. the proof comes in the 30lb. kingfish as seen in the pic to the left i shot in Key Largo in only 30 feet of water. Luckily i had my float since we were coming in from deeper water :duh.

Since then i have always been skeptical when people advise me to leave the float on the boat when we are shallow. especially since your are further down the keys you should take something as often as possible. it would really suck when you were just debating on whether or not to take the float or reelgun and "It" come by ...:waterwork

Reactions: bobbybuttr and thud
I hear a new King of the Kup has been crowned :king!
I don't know who it is yet....standing by for breaking news....:cool:

King O da Kup!! (for a day anyways...)

Day 2-

It had been a year since diving with the brothers Montero, Mike and Andy and the seasons had given them both time to nut up for this year's show. To prove their seriousness, Mike rolled into the first dive day with boat in tow, a belt too short and a major will to win. Buddy and brosero, Rolando carried the gear, shined the fins and generally held back until the water. Then it got ugly.

Out of Homestead, DQBN, Mike and El Rollo and your own Sultan of Smooth survived a full throttle, tabs up and balls to the wall run straight out to water bluer than my toilet bowl and definitely warmer.:p Suits on, floatlines out and the Matrix 30's slipped into, I dropped into the stuff of wet dreams. I mean, there are aquariums that don't have this much going on!

Aquiles grumbled about it only being 30 to 50 feet, but took zero time in popping a decent mackeral. Now out in the great Golden West, mackeral are what you use for catfood and bait, but when in Rome...:t El Rollo got done being Mike's lackey and loaded up his Euro to start popping the snappers and triggerfish in attendance and looked very at ease doing it. Major ability points and a genuinely good guy.

I too got into the trigger fray as experiencing their taste at KK03 swayed me from considering them just pretty and got my personal best by just "going a weeways over there" One shot-one fish. Smooth.

And then the Mike backed up his smack to take ownership of the Kup for the day by supplying the boat, being on the receiving end of some serious smack and supplying me with a front seat on the way to Key Largo. Oh yeah, and then he popped this... :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolando
El Rollo

Rolando lobbed some stainless at these morsels towards the end of the day and scored points by donating them to the dinner. Karma ensued. These are a couple of the small ones he nabbed. There may have been bigger around, but not where I looked. And looked. And looked.

I do look to have El rollo providing serious competition next year now that he's sure, well pretty sure, that we're good guys. ;)

Last edited:
and going, and going, and...

Mean while, Aquiles just kept on going. Deep. :cool:

Sinuses or not, the guy can flat out just dive. Here he is admiring my hybrid on the way to the bottom 80 some odd feet below. :crutch

Last edited:
Turning heads.....

Now those pics are what I call pretty!!
DQBN looks great under the water....something about the pressure pins the EARS in place, eh?

Keep the photos coming, fellas! :king
Here in San Diego, surf's up, viz is down...so the hunting season is not quite in swing. Yet. :eek:
:p Nice fish, gentlemen!!! :cool:

Re: El Rollo

Originally posted by icarus pacific
I do look to have El rollo providing serious competition next year now that he's sure, well pretty sure, that we're good guys. ;)

"Good Guys" for sure! Mad props to ya Bra! Sven is a class act and top notch diver, even if he's Medicare eligible:D . Aquiles, well the flaco can dive and colonize the world with his Elephant ears and Sinatra eyes;) . Montero, well just check out the pic. That's a mug only a mother can love:D Sunday was great especially for Miami.

Tuesday was awesome as well as Mike (Rigdvr) and the mighty Anderson joined the fray...well sort of. Wahoo shooting, wreck diving, and smack talking highlighted the day. The DB brethren sure are a bunch of classy guys. Thanks for a wonderful two days fellas! BTW, How was the Yellow Jack Tuesday night?

Pictures to follow, I'm sure.

EL Rollo

Reactions: DeepThought
and this ain't the new King either

Day 3.

Fresh from the lush and lavish digs of Islamorada where girlfriends and spousal appendages are encouraged and the wild climes of Mississippi came the Freeman's bearing numero tres and newly committed Anderson and spousal in training. Let the games begin. Begin? :confused:

The majority of the Keyz Krew were finally together and with the kurrent King, Stylin Jay Styron on the way with HIS better 1/2, the only things missing were the fish. :head Yeah, El rollo sacked a very nice Yellow Bar Jack that combined in a picatta style sauce was veeery tasty, but the major slabs of protein were off in points elsewhere.

Anderson and rigdvr took their betrothed out for a float the previous day and managed to not only fit in their suits but also damage anderson's turbinates, or something that strts with a"T". So the SPF challenged local, SPF being Still Pretty Fair was relegated to shoulder massages to his galpal on the bow. The Mike wisely left his baby-packing babe at the spa and modeled Picasoo's latest in wetsuit tech- the Picasso thong.

We hit the Bib wreck to find not only really nice viz and not a lot of current and damn if the rig didn't go after a couple of wahoo. And that was the start of a serious quest for wahoo that netted several more sightings, but no flesh.:waterwork Wong, Alexander, RA and Rabitech aside, no fish. Same deal at the Duane. At least as far as wahoo went.

We floated the patch reefs nearby and laid seige to several grouper, a fistfull of hogfish and another very large yellow. I'd love to show the phot's of that day, but photoboy left the getup at the concierge desk.:hmm

But here's a photo of another member in attendance that ain't the newly crowned King 'O the Kup. Medicare my ass.

Last edited:
Well. it is sunday and the Kraze is over. Cheers to all those that participated. I just dropped Sven off at the airport this morning at 5 am. We were already planning for the ab grab. Tommorrow I go back to my patients and back to the grind. It was fun to dive with all the guys. Im still not coherent, I just awoke from my slumber. I will post again when I am more witty and awake.

Aquiles

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Ol' Yeller

Here's a picture of nice yellow jack I shot with the DB gang on Tuesday...

Attachments

• yellow jck tuesday.jpg
    yellow jck tuesday.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 379
Reactions: OceanSwimmer
more losers...

Lest you think that all we did was goof on eachother, nah we also got to shake or gear in front of eachother. Here's King of the Kup 2003 Stylin' Jay Styron checking out the new OMER BAT 30 fins kindly provided by Mark at Technosport (by the way, these things rock! ) whilst yours truly works on his sitting and tanning static.

The Styron left North Carolina some 14 hrs earlier the day before and managed to look like it was only 13. But all to be with the guys... well, something like that. This guy was the one I was looking at to be the first repeat winner of the Kup if he could just manage to keep me from reaching his fish first. ;) But nope, the pesce protein avoided Jay as well. To the guys credit, he did manage to stick a wahoo on the Duane wreck but had the thing figure out how to have the shaft let go and leave the thing doin' the spine shudder until it got its bearings and said later daze. :head If nothing else, Jay gets the tough love award.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT