• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lake Geneva October 6th

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be able to make it on Oct. 6th?

• Yes and with Friends - "Say HELLO to my Little Friend"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Saturday is better for me as I work Sunday night. Pretty much just riding down with Scott anyway.

Saturday - Williams Bay - Launch time 10:00am - I plan on getting to the Launch (hopefully) by 9:30am.

I'll leave here at 6:00 - 6:30 and try to be to the launch at 9:00 - 9:30. I'll need a little extra time to get that dang suit on! (If Whopperhead is bringing Tass, then it may be after 10) rofl

bgill, if I could crash there that would be great. Sunday we can do Lake Geneva or Michigan or any other lake deemed fit to dive!

I wouldn't mind doing some straight freediving on Sunday as well. Maybe learn a little technique and see what I can do. I know I can get to 30', would not mind trying at least that again.

Jon any ideas for Sunday then? Time and place?

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I dove Geneva. Last time I did I was working for a shop that ran charters on the lake- huge, triple pontoon boat that could carry 20 divers. We dove deeper walls offof the old amusement park and the shallows by the old military school.

I'd be up for whatever Nick decides- since he knows the area better then the rest of us. I've never dove her from shore- always a boat.

There is a shop on the lake that runs charters for diving, but they want nothing to do with us freedivers. :rcard There was at least one other charterboat on there about 15 years ago, but they sold out once they had a death on their boat- 300+ pound guy had a heart attack on the ladder, or something like that.

I've got a couple of guns, and a polespear, I can bring along for someone to try if they need one. Nostres, if you want to go deeper I can bring my monofin along, otherwise it will be bi-fins only.

Jon

[
I've got a couple of guns, and a polespear, I can bring along for someone to try if they need one. Nostres, if you want to go deeper I can bring my monofin along, otherwise it will be bi-fins only.

Jon[/quote]

Hi Jon! This time I am not looking so much for the depth, I just want to bring some fish home Are we talking saturday then, because I can't make two days, I am coming on Sat as most people can't make Sunday.

I can only make it on Sunday- maybe I'll try Rock Lake instead that day.

Scott should have an extra gun, or three, for you to borrow as he seems to be collecting an armory of spearguns. ;)

Jon

Jon, I can do Sunday as well. With this new gear I just want to get in the water! I dunno where Rock Lake is, but if you want someone along with you, let me know, if you don't that's fine too.

Nostres - I will have 2 extra for you to choose from - The "woody" or a super small JBL D6. Woody has range but may hurt some of the smaller fish- (in half). Or you can use the 115cm Beuchat That I use to hunt the LOCHNESS MONSTER. It's got the smallest spear diameter 6mm and wouldn't hurt the panfish- if that's what your after. Or "NESSY" ;)

Update* I just got a call from my mom and my step dad hurt his foot- So, I can ALSO go out on Sunday. I will just follow/go where everyone else is going.

BUT- Saturday is still WILLIAMS BAY, GENEVA LAKE 10am.

My place is open for anyone wanting and or needing to spend the night Saturday. From my place Rock Lake is almost an hour away. I am questioning the vis just because I've never been there except to ice fish. But then again "aspetto" hunting can be fun too!

Lake Geneva is about 30 minutes. Lake Michigan about 30 minutes...Moose 30 minutes, etc. etc.

I'm pretty much 30 minutes from ALOT of good lakes. There are SO many good lakes around - many I have not even looked at yet - but I KNOW they are relatively clear....Like Lake Beaulah for example.

I can go anywhere really on Sunday...But SATURDAY I WILL be IN Lake Geneva with the rest of the guys hopefully gettin' some fish. I'm open for suggestions. Either way - I'll get wet somewhere!

Supposed to be in the mid to high 80's on both days...Bring some sunscreen!

P.S. The big Lake Geneva crappies got me a little excited. Jon....I've seen pictures of some nice stringers...Maybe you could show us how its done?!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Whopperhead
So, how up-to-date is the vis reading?

Is it real time, average over the last year, etc?

(Sorry, I found out my answer...Late summer reading of 1999, 2001 or 2002.)

Gene

Last edited:
Well, I talked it over with the wife and it looks like I will be there on Saturday- not Sunday.

I've got a new Pneumatic gun to try out, and will bring my old stand-by as well. I've also got a pole spear if someone wants to borrow that.

As long as Nostres is coming i guess I'll drag the monofin along as well.

Does anyone have a recent temp from Lake Geneva? I lasted over 3 hours in Michigan two weeks ago in a 3mm so that's what I'm planning on wearing- but I might have something thicker along just in case. rofl

Those lake measurements from that site are averaged throughout the year from what I understand.

Ted can't make it, it's his anniversary, so I can't promise any monster stringers of crappie, but I'll give it a shot anyway. ;)

Jon

JON- that's awesome you can make it! Water temp on Oct 2 was 68 degrees. Looks like 3mm for me.

My eldest son & I were by Camp Norman Barr (on Lake Geneva) a little more than a week ago...He did'nt even have a wetsuit on. He wore a tight wool sweater and a wool watch cap! He said it helps - But I think its maybe just in his head!

We were in for over 4 hours - No fishing that day...Just basically snorkeling around and doing statics & a some relatively shallow dives.

I think I'm heading down there today if I can find a partner locally. I would like to find some crappies. But first I gotta hammer out some invoices to keep the cash flow going!

I'll post conditions tonight. (if I go)

hmmmmm....scouting or getting a head start bgill!?!?! I smell a conspiracy! :)

Well- I just took the boat out to see if it works- I haven't used it all summer- It's running good! I can even get it to "Plane" (big improvement from trying it on Rock Lake - huh JON? ) :head

I took it on SWAN LAKE - I didn't go in the water cause it looked to have about 2' of viz- But, I did get dumped on. It rained pretty hard for about 10 mins. That was fun:t

So, If the spot were in is not producing fish- We can move easy enough - I have 6 Life Jackets and 1 floatation mat/cushion thing - but not sure if it counts- SO, Bgill if you could bring your life jackets, "just in Case" .

Tass should be bringing BRATS & Krout, Everyone is in charge of their own Beverages. Should be a good time. :friday

Khel - your still coming right?

Anybody have an address to where we are meeting to I can plug it into map-quest?

Are we all going to be able to fit on Scott's boat or should I bring a kayak along to paddle myself around? I have an extra kayak, but am not sure if I can get two on top of my car.:confused: Either way I can bring my own life jacket to keep us legal. I also have an extra stringer if someone needs one- it's a crappy one, but it's a stringer none the less.

Jon

Reactions: nostres
Never did get out to Lake Geneva today for the "pre scout".

As usual...when I want to play things get busy here in the office. So sometimes even planned days off are in fact "office days" and I'm not off anyway! Man I miss my wife doing all of the office stuff! It'll probably be a few years before she returns to my office work full time. Never really realized what a time monster my business has become...or how much work my wife:inlove really does! Oh well. Atleast I'm paving my own way in life.

Whopperhead...I'll be sure to put my TWO dorky lifejackets in the van tonight...Just don't forget my new toy!!! I got 'yer cash!!!:t

See you all at the launch... It's gonna be such a nice day I hope it isn't full!!! I figure alot of guys have put thier boats away already...I hope....If not I hope most of the early morning fishermen will be coming off by then.

I'll be there by 9:30

If anyone needs a flop let me know...You'll have to follow me home or know how to get there. Anyone who definately knows they're gonna spend the night could get to my house before 9:00 and then we can car-pool to the lake in my van.

I too have a Yak AND a canoe...If we need them.

My address S.67 W.25455 Skyline Ave, Waukesha....But I think most of us are meeting at the launch? I have PLENTY of parking here at my house so any and all are welcome to meet up here (or even sleep over) - Park and car pool down or to follow me down to Williams Bay Launch - Or to offload or strap down yaks & canoes & stuff. If thats what people want to do...Get here a little early....Williams Bay is about 35 minutes from here heading south. I'll be up at 6:30 a.m.

I'll check this a few times until about 10:30 tonight...See you guys!!!!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT