• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mifsud announces STA WR attempt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have read an article about Will T. where it says that he does not do any aerobic workout . At that time I was suprised because I believed that aerobic training plays an important role in freediving training.Now that I've read Eric's post, maybe I will concentrate evem more on anerobic training and reduce my bicycle sessions....

That's certainly what many athletes have found. In fact, some of us have tried and had significant (10-20%) performance drops by doing aerobic training, myself included.

Well, there is no rule... one can go different ways... for example I did my DYN swim 2 weeks ago in middle of my cardio training... and I did 222m. Also last year I did 220m after 3 months of just diving with no cardio... if nothing I'm looking bather now ;)

PS. This is kinda off topic.. so sorry.

Damn it again!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ZQzvUbRzY"]YouTube - professional freediver WR stephane mifsud demo&spearfishing[/ame]
When I look at the white edge of the pool in this WR (?) 8:28 min (in the video at 2:54), I don't want to ask where he did his packing. More coincidences after coincidences...?

He does really much aerobic trainings, too. And didn't use monofin in 213 m DYN?!

I watched my sideprofile in the front of a mirrow during a packing (you can do that ourself, too ;) ). My breast and back was like a really big balloon in the end, and I really hadn't inhaled and packed over 8 L, maybe 7-7,5 L. How would a slimmer and smaller man than I looks out with 11 L, and still be relaxed? Yes, 11 L is possible, no doubt about that. But look him at that 213 DYN (WR?!?) in the video (push pause at 0:36 just then when he's breast is exactly in 90 dgr angle to camera), you can see his side profile.

Just questions, and easy to check, why I ask these. All can be just coincidences, that's possible. This is his own video, so the potential ego issue - mentioned here too - can easily be checked by this video. In some way maybe a good extreme sport video, but I don't like that somebody wants to sit on corals (soft corals may easily be destroyed that way)...even if multiple WR holder (!?) as shown in the video.

Last edited:
The video said that his 8:28 in Monaco was a World Record....

They most meen a local world record.... at that point.

/B

I always was impressed looking at Tom´s back after packing, looks like a balloon, far from what i saw from Mifsud, and i also don´t like him showing off in the corals and holding sharks by the fin :-(

Damn it again!

When I look at the white edge of the pool in this WR(?) 8:28 min (in the video at 2:54), I don't want to ask where he did his packing. Yes this in France. More coincidences after coincidences...?
I'm sorry, but this video is so fragmented on the point of his final breath and packing for this static, that I can't say anything about it. There is just no information there for me. I can say that every person that has ever coached me would have killed me on the spot if I ended my static max attempt and did my recovery breath the way Stephane did in this video. A deep forceful exhale after a max. I’ve learned that is a fast route to a blackout after you came up clean.

If I look at how the pool was constructed, because it looks like a pool that was made for the purpose of the attempt, than this is absolutely one of the best possible setups to hide an O2 cylinder. On the other hand, you see him do at least a few of his packs with his face right at the camera and not close to an edge or machine which would contradict using O2. He does move a lot and comes up mightily fast and with a lot of movement. Not a great way to conserve that last available bit of O2. I think it’s a very strange attempt that raises a lot of questions. It makes me wonder what he could have done if he hadn’t moved that much and really pushed it.

Just questions, and easy to check, why I ask these. All can be just coincidences, that's possible. This is his own video, so the potential ego issue - mentioned here too - can easily be checked by this video. In some way maybe a good extreme sport video, but I didn't like that somebody wants to sit on corals (soft corals may easily be destroyed that way)...even if multiple WR holder (!?) as shown in the video.
I totally agree.

i also don´t like him showing off in the corals and holding sharks by the fin :-(
Me neither! I've seen this behavior with more world record holders and champions. They should be a role model with regards to their environment.

The worst I've seen was a jellyfish fight in Sharm, with around 50 freedivers... :naughty

I can say that every person that has ever coached me would have killed me on the spot if I ended my static max attempt and did my recovery breath the way Stephane did in this video. A deep forceful exhale after a max. I’ve learned that is a fast route to a blackout after you came up clean.
If packing a lot: 6l lungs + 5 l more packed, there is quite a risk to get a packing BO. And after these kind of static apnea performances ("both" WRs), there is a really big risk to get a surfing BO. BTW by what I have read, exhaling strongly a big amount of CO2 out after a very long apnea is a different case than avoiding surfing BO because of lack on O2. I mean, IF there is no lack of O2 in the end, you do it in a different way.

Isn't there always lack of O2 at the end??
In a normal case absolutely yes. But not necessarely, if there has been much more oxygen in inhailed air than 21% in the start. Much CO2 is then the problem in the end, if it has been a long apnea. It (must?) be exhaled strongly out.
And yes, damn it, the surfing exhaling like there wouldn't be a lack of O2, but much CO2, is one more coincidence in these Mifsud cases, too.

Last edited:
In a normal case absolutely yes. But not necessarely, if there has been much more oxygen in inhailed air than 21% in the start. Much CO2 is then the problem in the end, if it has been a long apnea. It (must?) be exhaled strongly out.
Exhaling CO2 won't really help you, because the PaCO2 remains unaffected by the exhale. And it's not the absolute amount of CO2 (the volume), but only the PaCO2 that influences the diffusion of CO2 from the body. In fact, I'd tell the exhale (without inhale) would rather agravate the blood acidity, since due to the smaller alveoli surface after the exhale, the gas exchange will slow down.

When I look at the white edge of the pool in this WR (?) 8:28 min (in the video at 2:54), I don't want to ask where he did his packing.

don't most pools have white edges? I don't get your point....

Like a few other people, I'm far more concerned about his attitude to the environment from the clip (sitting on coral, catching sharks by the tail and shooting stuff) than by any mysterious oxygen bearing white paint that clearly only works in france......

Reactions: bite ya
Exhaling CO2 won't really help you, because the PaCO2 remains unaffected by the exhale. And it's not the absolute amount of CO2 (the volume), but only the PaCO2 that influences the diffusion of CO2 from the body. In fact, I'd tell the exhale (without inhale) would rather agravate the blood acidity, since due to the smaller alveoli surface after the exhale, the gas exchange will slow down.
Of course exhaling and inhaling, but different way than normal, when need to avoid BO. No need to hook breath etc. but strong and quick lung ventilation. I have read, that you feel a need to get quick rid of that CO2 and that's why you breathe that way, strongly and quick out and in.

Trux, there are so many strange things in those Stephanes cases and videos that so many questions arraises... If there were just one or some, but it seems to me somehow systematical. Like he wants to be best, but just the way HE wants, by means he want himself to use. Anyway, Stephane can now update his video, again with a new WR. Now, after seeing his own video, I understand even better, what Will said here:
http://forums.deeperblue.com/genera...d-announces-sta-wr-attempt-12.html#post770890

Last edited:
Sam, i see Timo´s point, it's not a paint, but something like a white nylon cover in the pool´s edge, but only that, i don´t say that he was breathing oxigen from something under that cover. I´m with Jorg that this professional freedivers should be a role model, more than if he has 200 kids learning from him, as he stated before, all those kids surely will watch his super-teacher´s video, and will think that this kind of behavior is ok.

Last edited:
don't most pools have white edges? I don't get your point....
There are many holes in the edge for e.g. O2 tube, especially because it's not normal pool edge, instead there are plastic covers, put there afterwards just beside there where he is doing he STA performance. Extremely easy (much, much easier than in a normal pool), IF somebody wants arrange some O2 enriched air for last inhales before performance.

In a magician show a magican did 18+ min static, everything in the front of TV-cameras. Afterwards they show that O2 tank was almost 10 m away, and only a narrow, almost invisible plasctic tube came from tank to near magician. You couldn't see it, altough TV cameras were close there.

Of course I can't say there was something in that "WR", but AGAIN (coincidence?), very easily it could have been there, and the performance was abnormal, strange and unbelievable (in a good or bad way).

Last edited:
I like statistics... So take a look at my latest one. It's the static world record progress diagram in all these years. The red line are the women, the blue line is the men. Amazing jump in the end of the blue line! To amazing?

Static Progress | Shark Freediving

I noticed, that total time is in seconds, so Sietas 612 sec and Stephane 695 secs, almost 700! Yes, it's absolutely amazing.

If "the Big Lung Tom" broke a steady 15 years long trend, this exploaded it (just one more coincidence or anomaly, now statical one). So we are waiting for next WR, hmm it seems to be 13:00 min by this renewed trend, and very soon! But who - in the Earth - shall be the one?

(Think about it: after "easy" 6:30 mins there will be another 6:30 min left, the very hard 6:30 mins).

Last edited:
You know what is much more interesting? If you look at the total picture of all performances being done between 2000 and 2009: how fast the top 5 in each discipline is walking away from the 'normal' freedivers.

Not only that, but if you look at the performance graphs of some top freedivers that have been in the sport since many years, there are some who are improving in an upward curve.

Not implying anyting, but if it's all just training, then please tell me the secrets! I want to be in the club as well! ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT