• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My New Spearing Boat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice boat Miles,

Looks similar to the Zulu-Cat......how much did you pay? if you don't mind me asking. I see you bought it from a Vaalie or is that just the trailer :)

Originally posted by miles
Easy to just drop the bouy overboard when boat is on anchor, should a need arise to pick up divers quickly.........normally big shark in the area!!!

:hmm What was that you said the other day, "never have problems with sharks", "youll make sure I come back alive" Im filled with confidence :) and admiration to you SA guys who dare to get in the water with those cuddly creatures rofl
Nice boat though! Twin 50's it must fly, lots of fun as a ski boat as well, Guess I'm jealous too :t
Have fun and stay safe
Ali

Hiya

Mlungu, yes, very similar to a Zulu-cat. Problem with zulu cats is that you can't find them!!! Boat is built in Cape Town, was taken to Transvaal, used on a dam for waterski-ing and catching carp:D :D . Never seen saltwater in its life!!!. Brought back to cape town, where i bought it.

Alison, what shark???? It's not THAT bad!!!! I'm still here, aren't i??? :D :D Better to take precautions and to be prepared.

Regards
miles

Originally posted by miles
Alison, what shark???? It's not THAT bad!!!! I'm still here, aren't i??? :D :D Better to take precautions and to be prepared.

You have significantly more "HWYL" than me mate!!:mad: Yeah I know its not that bad but just watch out for the one you didnt know was about yes ;) Maybe dip my toe with you guys sometime, its one of my ambitions to see a GW close up! And the SA GW's are the ones to see!
:)
Ali

Miles,

You 've got yourself a bloody good bargain by the sound of it....especially if its never been in the sea before...the Vaalies never cease to amaze me!!!

Nice boat, Miles. Have lotsa fun (spear lotsa fish) with it! :cool:

hi miles, nice boat! that's exactly the setup that i aspire to own one day. not too small so that there's no space on deck, but not too big that you need an army to handle it. how does it tow? are you going to take it to moz? arent you stressed about the fire extinguishers getting trashed if they're out on deck like that?
and one last question, what happenend to the rib?
cheers
mark

Hiya Griff

You understand my problems!!! Too big a boat and it becomes a nightmare towing, launching and not everyone can handle a big boat. Too small, then you're limited with deck space. No matter where you put your fire-extinguishers, corrosion will still come and say hello!!! I normally just buy new ones every 3 or 4 years anyway. Mozambique is definitely on the cards, thats the main reason for getting a boat with a breakneck trailer. Need to install ss keel strips though. Tows quite easily behind my 4x4. I reckon a 2ltr car will tow it with-out much hassle. I normally tow at 80-90km/h anyways, but have pulled it at 130km/h just to see!!!:D :D 3.3ltr V6 in my Hilux 4x4 :D :D

Just busy putting on new whell bearings. Will hopefully take her on her maiden spearing trip on Saturday. Hope the weather holds!!!!

Oh, RIB will be up for sale from next week. Just waiting for the machanic to serrvice her motors so that the new owner will get everything running nicely!!

Regards
miles

Last edited:
Maiden Spearing Trip

Hiya

Finally took my boat out spearing. Flat sea, very little swell, no wind, but lots of rain, cold water at Cape Point (13Degrees). Eventually found the schools of yellowtail around the seal island area. Same place the documentary, Air Jaws, was filmed. Here the water temp. was 18degrees, viz. was nil!!!!, dirty brown water. Many schools of 'tail smashing bait on the surface. Even saw a small GW of about 3m smashing into the 'tail!!!! Awesome sight, unfortunately i was too slow with the camera :(

Ended up with a couple of 'tail caught on spinning rods. Only had two rods on board, so the usual fighting over who gets to fish!!! Good day in all. Got to test the boat out and have seen some areas that can be improved upon. Will sort them out next week.
YF tuna, watch out, here we come!!!!!!:D :D :D

Regards
miles

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yeah! these are the ones that your boat is missing :D nice catch miles! ;)

Hiya

Took my boat to Struisbaai today. First real spearing trip. Water was a murky 4-6m viz, with the temperature of 20 degrees. Slight swell with a fresh wind. Boat went beautifully. No banging or hanging onto for dear life!!!:D :D . First dive resulted in a 9kg yellowtail, third dive resulted in a 2.5m dusky shark charging my fish and after gobbling it, charging me!!!! Not fun:( :(

Anyways, shot some reef fish as well as some more yellowtail. Then had a 3m dusky bend the shaft on my 115cm rabitech, after a tussle over a 7kg yellowtail :( :( Sharks 2 miles 0. Don't like those statistics:) . Will hopefully improve on them next time!!!! :D :D

Had loads of fun none-the-less!!!

Regards
miles

Attachments

• struisbaai catch.jpg
    struisbaai catch.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 520
Another picture.....

Attachments

• c4 and rabi and tail.jpg
    c4 and rabi and tail.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 632
Looks like you did pretty well despite the tax collector. Glad to hear your boat is working well.

Brad

Hiya

Thanx guys!!!

Murat, i normally start out with my 115cm Rabitech. I'm a bit lazy and my rabitech is easier to load. The C4 is a beast to load, especially since i fitted short 20mm's instead of the normal 18mm Omer Power's. If fish are very skittish, or the schools are swimming fast and don't want to come in, i'll use the C4. Spear travels a bit quicker than my rabitech. Both the fish shot in the picture was with my rabitech. Shot the smaller fish with the C4, because of the bent spent on the rabitech. Tried straightening the spear on the boat, but ended up with a S-shaped 7mm SS spear.

Regards
miles

Cape Point, Cape Town, South Africa

Saturday 24th April 2004. Time 6:30 in the morning. Swell 2.5m, wind 40km/h NW, water temp 17degrees, viz 6-8m(reportedly!!!). Thinking what the devil am i doing here putting on a wetsuit in the rain (forgot the warm water again!!!!), should've stayed in bed!!!!

Result, 36 yellowtail (kingies), one 20kg Yellowfin tuna and one skipjack.

All shot with my 115cm Rabitech with Omer Pelagic Reel.
At this rate Rabitech should start thinking about sponsoring me!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Regards
miles

Attachments

• good catch tail 2.jpg
    good catch tail 2.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 587
Reactions: Mr. X
The disadvantage of being a BIG BLOKE!!!, you make the fish look smaller than what it is!!! :D :D :D

miles

Attachments

• miles plus tuna2.jpg
    miles plus tuna2.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 372
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT