• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My New Spearing Boat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hey miles, leave some for us;)
nice tunny!
38 fish! i wouldnt even be able to pull the rubbers back

Party pooper warning.

We're always bragging that spearfishers are responsible fishers...
Eventhough you are a big bloke, could it be that 36 fish are more than enough?

Let them grow!

Here in NZ you could some days kill hundreds of kingys over 120cm... yet the guys know where to stop and that one or two are more fish that you need, and then move on something more challenging... the poor things just seem to like the tip of the spear.

Congratulations for your nice fishing... but with this kind of catch you will have more and more problems to find anything to shoot, specially with this "rats"... as we call in here the small kingfish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
sweet...that buoy connected to the anchor is a brillant idea...

i like how your boat has twin engines and places to store guns even being such a small boat...

Reactions: bobbybuttr
No "rats"

That's what I was talking about... and you can see that for must of the kingy season!

Attachments

• kingy.jpg
    kingy.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 382
Hiya

Pablo, you're very fortunate to live close to such great hunting grounds. Unfortunately here in SA, especially Cape Town, our 'tail seldom grow that big. According to our records the SA Spearfishing record stands at 34.2kg's which was shot in 1962!!!
Average size fish for Cape Town would be 4-6kg's and a good fish is 10kg+. Anything over 15kg's is considered exceptional.
Fish at Struisbaai are of a bigger class. There your average fish is 8-10kg's whilst fish in the 15-20kg class gets shot fairly often. Very seldom does 20kg+ fish get shot!! Biggest 'tail in that picture is 11kg's.

Deepthought, remember, days like these are rare. Even though there was plenty of fish around, we stopped spearing. We are how-ever still within our limits as prescribed by the Marine Recreational Fishing Regulations. I come from a commercial fishing background. Spent 8 months two years ago operating my own commercial boat. Just for interest sake, my 3 friends with their commercial boats (handline fishing) landed 2tons, 1.8tons and 2.4tons of 'tail respectively on Saturday. Our government has, after consultation with various marine research institutes, deemed it fit to allow commercial harvesting of certain sustainable fish stocks. Anyways, i do however hear what you are saying and agree with you, but as stated above, we were within our legal limits.

Rui, next time!!!! I was wet and tired!!!:D :D :D

Griff, thanx!!! Looks like we're gonna have a good 'tail winter season.

Regards
miles

No prob Miles, I may yack a bit sometimes... can not avoid it!

Originally posted by miles

Rui, next time!!!! I was wet and tired!!!:D :D :D

Good luck Rui...rofl rofl

No problem!!!!:D :D :D

One day i'm gonna come visit you guys. Would love to shoot a 30kg+ 'tail (kingie)!!!!

Watch me smile then!!!!:D :D :D

Regards
miles

They are plenty of big fish in NZ, but get over the 25Kg mark need a lot of dedication and know the good spots.

They are a few really good trips to target big fish, like Mullin marlin (taken on one of those trips) and is one of your best chance to get something really heavy on a short trip.

But if not, I'm more than happy to take anyone to see some real fish... or at least try.

The law in here let you take 3 'tails over 75cm (he has change recently and could be over that...). For myself I try to never shoot a kingy looking under the 20kg mark... and move to other fish: if not I'm eating the same for a couple of weeks and my friends kind of avoid me!

During the season is tricky to shoot at anything: So many times the vibrations bring in the BIG BOYS... while you spear is on a small fish :waterwork :waterwork , but still nice to enjoy the show of this huge 'tails all around you. I've seen like that fish well over 40kg.

Hiya

i know exactly what you mean. Went diving a couple of weeks ago. No fish. Spent a couple of hours drifting in the current, but nothing to be seen. Eventually i decide to shoot a reefie for supper. I go down to the bottom, about 18m, see a 4kg fish, shoot and miss!!!! (long shot, bad viz, etc.......the usual excuses for bad shots!!!!) As i kick off the bottom, a school of 'tail kept on circling me, until i had reloaded my gun. Just as i finished loading my gun, they depart!!! Fish were 10-20kg class!!!!! Now i try not to shoot reef fish when hunting 'tail.

Good trick is to let your mate shoot the first fish then dive down and look for the bigger ones attracked to all the commotion!!!

miles

Hey Miles.

Well, I can't really know what's going on in your part of earth, It's just that 36 fish sounded a lot for me (Not to mention 2 tons!).

The thing is that legal limits are obtained usally as a compromise between environmental/conservative pressure and financial/political/recreational pressure. My general feeling regarding that is that this compromise is not done right (and that you should never trust a politician!:)).
We usally manage to harm nature even when trying to limit the damage. I'm not saying that spearfishing should be banned, I just want people to ask themselves if they really need so many fish in one hunting trip? that's a lot of food, and I consdier spearfishing/hunting as something the revolves around food, not sports, since that's what keeps it justified. What will you do with so many fish?

Just my conservative point of view I guess. I think this matter can benefit from a discussion once in a while.

Reactions: Pablo
Hiya

Here we go AGAIN..........

Considering we were 4 spearos, that shot 38 fish, each spearo therefore had just more than 9 fish each. Now, that is within our legal limitations, and realistically, 9 fish per person is not excessive. Considering that the fish we were shooting is quite prolific everywhere in the world, i fail to see me being irresponsible, and giving spearfishing a bad name. Spearfishing is one of the most selective forms of fishing you get. We don't shoot undersize fish or restricted species, nor do we sell our catch.

You do mention that you consider spearing to revolve around food. If that is the way you perceive the sport, doesn't mean that i've got to view it from the same angle. I love the sea, and i love spearing. The hunt is what i like. The solitude of being alone in the water, away from the daily grind, the anticipation, the exilirating feeling when you do see a good fish, the shot, the exitement of the fight, the taxman wanting his share.........all of these is what makes me go back for more. So for me, its not ONLY about the fish, but so much more!!!

All fish that is shot is taken home and given to family members or friends and neighbours. Its amazing what a fresh fish given to a neighbour can do!!!!

I fully understand your concerns, but you're barking up the wrong tree. Sort of preaching to the converted. The trawlers catching prawns dump so much unwanted fish, loneliners wiping out shoals of tuna, trek netters pulling in all types of fish from the beaches, gill netting, etc are all far greater evils.

If managed correctly, commercial fishing is a sustainable resource. Like i said before, i had my own commercial boat and know what i'm talking about.

It really irks me that as soon as somebody puts up a picture of a good day out, somebody has to mention that its not the image we want to portray. I'm sorry, but i'm not going to lie about my catches, and if you do feel so strongly about not spearing, i would suggest simply buying fish from your local fish market.

Sorry for the harsh words!!!!!:D :D

Regards
miles

Hey Miles.

Thats a Great boat, and a catch to be envied.

PS. GuYs.

Respectfully. To put this in perspective relative to SA. This man is well within his SA daily bag limits and his catch is a drop in the ocean compared to the commercial fishing catches.
Remember, more than 50% of the time the boat comes back empty too and this after the 25% of the time you can launch owing to the weather.
Taking into account the fishing is done in "White" rich waters the impact of Spear man on pelagic fish in the Cape is zero. I appreciate that this may differ in other waters in the world with different challenges and fish concentrations and species.

I would further go to say that SA probably has one of the most advanced fisheries protection acts with many huge protected reserves where neither game fish or bottoms may be hunted. No driving on any beaches anywhere except to launch at certified sites either. Period.

In more than 2500 km of coastline we have less than 15 certified launch sites. So fishing is naturally restricted too. Very cold currents, poor viz , sharks and big seas ensure that spearing is done by very few.

There is also absolutely no culture of fishing from indigenous peoples/ like further up the African coast.
We are all very conservation minded, and exceeding bag limits or shooting for the hell of it because the fish are running, is an exception and not a rule. Should you be caught your boat, your car, and all your equipment is confiscated. Period. Then you go to court or jail depending. No one dreams of spearing on scuba either. The thought is alien to us.

Thanks for all caring though. We need guys like you to preserve all our natural resources.

regards
Greg.

Last edited:
Yeah, I try the trick on my own neighbors... but she wouldn't give me what I want :girlie : will try again with a crayfish!

Miles, understand that most of us don't see small kingys as something to shoot. They are a friendly visit during our dives... and we end up cheering them: that why is so hard to see your boat full of those. I have exactly the same reaction in here when someone bring a "rat" to one of our boats: actually, if the guy do that a couple of times he have a chance to don't be call again!

At any point I go against your right, have no idea about your local politics, and he was a nice fishing party that I wish to have share. But sadly your picture could send the wrong message to anyone don't have been following the forum for a while, or any one having no idea about what we are talking. The same way many words or subjects are forbidden on this forum, and I will not post the picture I have in mind about the "honey on the top of the spear" thread (the temptation is strong... really strong: photoshop is sweating!!!), you can not avoid reaction like ours to "get thinks right": Is part of the interest of this forum... now everyone have much more information, and know a great deal about SA fishing.

That say, is nothing wrong about posting your picture, like is nothing wrong to have a talk about. Is all about share our experiences and learn from each other.

May as well be that you eat too much fish, and then anything you catch looks small against you!!! :D :D :D

And when you came in here bring your boat...;)

Hey Miles,

Congratulations on your new boat and the Tuna's

What did you do with all those Tail? Sell them at the bakery :D

Nice one ;)

Shane

PS Dude you are a big bloke. Has eating too much bread got anything to do with it LOL

Thanx Shaca!!!!!

(In my best Homer Simpson voice) FOOOOOD!!!!mmmmmmm........

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Just for interest sake, that fish caused me plenty of grief. Dropped fish off at all my neighbours houses, but this one particular neighbour has a lovely daughter that seems to have taken a fancy to me. My GF is well aware of THAT situation. Problem arose when i dropped the fish, neighbours daughter thought that i was trying to get into her parents good books!!! She now wants me to take her out on the boat!!!! GF is not impressed!!!! I'm now banned from taking fish to the neighbours. GF reckons she'll do it from now on:D :D Only problem is neighbours daughter is rather lovely..................

miles:D :D

Women................

what else can I say. Drive us nuts!!!!!!!!

Rabitech suit and all. Man you should be sponsored.

:D :D :D

Thats my cold water 5mm suit. The whole bottom is 5mm, so i've basically got 10mm covering my mid-section. Thats my prefered suit for Cape Point and surroundind areas, because the water temp can be anything from 8-18degrees celcuis.

My Omer Ocean Mimetic i use for Struisbaai, where the water temp seldom drops below 16degrees. Need to get a 3mm Omer Ocean mimetic for the next season. Was overheating too much in my 5mm omer in 18degrees water!!!

Would be nice to be sponsored!!! (hint, hint to any manufacturers out there!!!!:D :D )

miles:D

womens...

I am sure that your GF will not understand 4 wives concept, so you better to stay away from your neighbor's daughter;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT