• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help. Building a gun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Last question. What could I use that would bond well on the epoxy track guide? I dont like the colour of the epoxy and it chips quite a bit. Something really thin? Fibre?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Like I mentioned, glue powder is something I use all the time, it comes in many colours, I mix this into virtually all applications using difference viscosities to suit the project.
Things like tracks need to be very smooth & very strong so a mix of micro fibre (glue fibres) & any pigment you like will work very well.
Some folk use graphite in the mix but I don't like it much as it ruins router bits.
My preferred method is to route out a 12mm track, fill it with a fibre mix & re route with an 8mm bit.

Reactions: lawstraljan16
Thanks again foxfish. Wont use epoxy for the guide again, ill look into the glue powder for my next build. Happy new years everyone

Ready for a darker stain, a few coats of Polyurethane Varnish (Perfection Plus used for yachts) and then assembly. Just waiting for the epoxy resin to touch up some holes to fully dry and sand it a little more.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388848196467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388848196467.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 140
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388848222659.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388848222659.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 142
Perfection is two part poly & is as good as it gets but, will show any blemish in you sanding prep!
Use it very sparingly on the brush or use a sponge roller to apply & tip it with a good quality brush.
You need to mix a small quantity at a time & store the brush in the freezer between coats, when you have about 5 coats, leave it for a week then rub it with 1000 grit wet a dry paper then polish with T cut = stunning finish :)

Awesome thanks foxfish. Well I do have some deep scratches that im unable to remove but ill be sanding it a little before giving it a stain. Do I sand it down between each coat or only after the 5 coats?

Im also thinking about adding the matt additive, thoughts?

Looks good! Keep on sanding until it's real smooth - the better it looks before the coat - the better it will look after the coat - It's worth the effort.
I'm with Foxfish.
You could consider to give it one coat, let it dry for 2-3 days, install everything and test its balance in sea water.
Then ballast it and sand it 400/600 before the final coats 2-4 with the recommended time between them (The shorter intervals, no sanding between them). This is it if its matt.
If glossy: Sanding 1000 and polish.
Jégwan

Assembled parts to see if everything is right, so far so good! Also gave the wood a few coats of darker stain to my liking. Next a coat of Polyurethane varnish and then for balancing, followed with 4 more coats after.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388958004814.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388958004814.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 125
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388958016713.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388958016713.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 129
I use 10ml measuring spoons to mix the poly, you probably wont need more than 40ml per coat so mix up to much at a time.

Haha thanks mate. A few mistakes made, and they really show after the stain but overall Im happy with it as its my first gun and I was bound to make some mistakes lol. I sanded down really fine and quite a lot but a few scratches didnt go away.

Now I just hope im able to balance it properly and that it shoots good or itll end up a wall decoration haha

Will be giving a coat of the varnish today and will then be taking the gun out for balancing after it dries for a few days.

So, what should I be taking with me when I go to balance it besides lead? Any specific lead weights I should take with me?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389138696272.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389138696272.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 128
Will be giving a coat of the varnish today and will then be taking the gun out for balancing after it dries for a few days.

So, what should I be taking with me when I go to balance it besides lead? Any specific lead weights I should take with me?

Just a little arsenal of different sizes or something you can cut (with fx a diagonal cutter) to make smaller and enough tape (electrician type) to hold them. You can fx use the lead used for wheel balancing on cars and motorcycles.
Good luck,
Jégwan

Great idea. Ill get some wheel balancing lead. Thanks :) should be trying the gun on saturday

Exciting; I'm looking forward to hear about the results...
Jégwan

Does the balancing look good?

I ended up half naked in cold water as I wasnt anticipating shooting the gun but the excitement got the better of me so I took a shot half naked. I could hardly see through my mask as it was fogging up, and wasn't holding the gun steadily enough with the all the shaking my body was doing. But I still took a shot to see how it feels.

The gun has awesome horizontal tracking and doesnt feel heavy at all in the water. When shooting you dont feel the recoil either which Im happy with. So far the gin has come out better than expected.

I havent setup the bands and power to perfection yet but will do next time with my wetsuit and not half naked, and will check aim and distance with a target and markers.

Thoughts? Please be honest and point out anything good or bad.

I did notice the gun lifts up after the shot but am unsure whether if the shaft has left the muzzle completely or not, I will be redoing the balancing and get a more neutral balance than it has on this video, and try fix the upward tilt. Any ideas? I thought of adding some weight to the muzzle and removing some from the front end 3/4s of the way.

Was reading some stuff online about ballasting and balancing.

My idea is for the gun to slowly float without a shaft and sink slowly with the shaft. At the moment it sinks a bit too much so Ill be fixing that.

I added lead at the bottom of the handle to that the gun always floats and sinks with the handle downwards and not float/sink sideways.
I then added some lead infront of the reel, but I will chsnge that also and get it closer the the trigger gaurd for a better 'pivoting' movement when moving the gun around sideways.

Then, I added some lead 3/4 of the way to the front but was thinking that I should move them a little closer to the muzzle, maybe help with the muzzle lifting when shooting. Thoughts about my ideas?

Im trying to read as much as I can before I do something, but insight from you guys would be great.

Maybe it ia a personle preference but I aim to get my guns to hover in the water with the spear in.
So if you let the gun go at 5mt it will just stay there or just very slowly turn over.
With the spear out I want it as buoyant and visible as possible.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT