• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Freediving Computer to be unveiled at DEMA 08

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
the screen, with those big LCD characters, certainly looks cheap enough, compared to those higher resolution LCD's (d4) so hoping for a good price here (= <200 US$)

the screen, with those big LCD characters, certainly looks cheap enough, compared to those higher resolution LCD's (d4) so hoping for a good price here (= <200 US$)

Yeah, but if it's not an OLED better that it's bigger for legibility. Can't use it below 30m here, anyway! :)

It's too bad it's not more frequent than 1sample/sec. Perhaps there were restrictions on the cost/compatibility of other pressure sensors that are better.
I do not think that the sample rate has anything to do with the pressure sensor. Those are analog devices with continuous output digitalized then with an A/D converter, so you can sample it as frequently as you want. Well, at some sensors, there may be some hysteresis causing that the sensor may react with a slight delay on turns, but at a continuous movement it would not play a role.

More than the capacity of the sensor, it is rather the concern about filling the watch memory too fast with a high sample rate. AT devices of this size the memory is still rather limited, so unnecessary wasting is not desired. And since 1s sampling rate prove to be rather sufficient for freediving profiles, I think they decided to keep it too. Well, again, if the firmware source code were open, we could make a version of it recording the profile with a 0.1s rate if you wish. So let's hope that Aeris is wise enough to open their firmware, allowing so users to adjust their watch to their specific needs.

Yeah, but if it's not an OLED better that it's bigger for legibility. Can't use it below 30m here, anyway! :)
I agree that OLED would be much better. But if I understood well, in contrary to other watches, you can program this one so, that the backlight goes automatically on at certain depth, so the display can remain readable even there without the need to push any buttons.

Great feature list by Kars.

It would be great to have all those features, but I´m concerned about what the price would be at that point.

For my part. The timer / lap function with the three depthalarms with automatic backlighting are enough as long as the price can be kept decent. I´m doing tables and depth with my mosquito now and the most irritating features are the inaudible depth/time -alarms, the backlight and its tendency to "jump" out to normal mode during a longer surface interval. So as long as the Aeris fixes these problems and the price is at the level of a D3 I´m more than happy.

-J

And if there were any need for dark / cold water testing I´m happily volunteering for that job ... ;)

Thats crazy, i found d4 for 320$ online.

Thats the way they liked it here,UAE is competing for "the most of everything" in the world including prices and rents. Nothing comes cheap here anymore.:crutch:crutch:crutch If its not about the warranty, i will buy it on-line.:head

Personally I am not really interested in Suunto anymore, but wonder what happened with the AERIS F.10. It is four weeks now that it was announced here, and then exposed on the DEMA, but there are still no traces of it anywhere on the Internet, or at dealers. It is not even on their own website. Well, it is briefly mentioned in the PDF catalog, but that's about all. Was the announcement premature? Is the watch not ready yet for production? I would expect that the company would want to use the momentum gained on DEMA and with the announcement here to sell as many computers as possible, but there is suddenly no more any news about it. Even the representative of the company who took the effort to register on DB and posted an encouraging message, disappeared as fast as he came, despited writing that they wanted to hear our wishes and comments.

Anyone has any news about the f.10?

Hi Trux

not completely sure but i think the "launch" of the F10 at DEMA was more a view for next years product line (could be wrong) but the rep also said they were interested in our comments which says to me that they are still fine tuning the softwear side of things. i know for example that it won't be available in Australia till at least Christmas. but i do know however that it will retail at below the cost of the Current Aeris manta/Oceanic Geo computers which are currently available. so i dont think that it was ment to be released to the retail community with DEMA it was more of a marketing exersize to show there new and up coming products etc. they will have a reason for not releasing it yet, just not sure what it is. but rest assured the computer works well (i have one) and it will be available at worst within the next 12 months.

DD

As DivingDane said, DEMA is just a show and tell for next years products. The F.10 may not be in stores until March. I believe it was that late when they started shipping DataMasks.

This was in the DEMA day 4 report:

"The F10 offers a selection of multiple alarms: elapsed time,
programmable depth interval and time interval, elapsed time, and three
programmable alarms. The distinct alarms are critical according to
Stepanek so that the diver need not "waste energy looking at a gauge to
see what's going on."
The F10 offers a variety of other unique features,including setable
surface interval, and a dual mode which allows a safety diver to
descend while continuing to track a buddy's bottom time.
Oceanic expects to have this availabile in time for the holidays, with
an estimated $419 pricetag"

DEMA 2008: Day 4 Coverage by DEMA Team on DeeperBlue.com

Price is a bit high, but sounds like a freediving dream coming true. :)

-J

oops. at that price the D4 starts looking OK again...........

oops. at that price the D4 starts looking OK again...........

Not realy:

First: the catalogue price of D4 is much higher (street prices may vary at both computers).

Second: f.10 has many more useful freediving features than D4.

Third: I believe the PC cable is quite a bit more expesive at Suunto. Usually it is not included, though a quite important accessory

And fourth: f.10 has a user replaceble battery, while D4 you have to send back to the workshop for the change. So if you use it frequently and have to change the battery each year or two, the overall price will be considerably higher over time

(shhh trux! I'm trying to get the representative chap here on DB to decide to launch the watch at 250US$ to make a real "splash" on the market..)

I was hoping for price tag in range between 300 and 350USD :( Well we will see once this comp hits real market maybe price will be tad lower

Latest word from the factory is that it will be out next May. :head

Jon

Well if they incorporate our proposed feature and function lists, than it would be worth the wait. That also explains the price, by that time inflation may have caught up... I hope my income stays the same in relation to the inflation...

Still very happy my D3 works fine.

May Doug can give us some updates on how the F10 is progressing?
Is he happy with the DB community input?

Kars

Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT