• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New STA record attempt pending

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Some people seem to forget that THERE WILL BE AIDA JUDGES for Mifsud's attempt. It will be a national record, not a world record. That's all. There will be a doping test too.
He did the same thing for his 213m dynamic national record which was at the time beyond the world record mark (212m).
And why Mifsud does not do his attempt during the WC ?? And what about Martin Stepanek ? William Turbridge ? Mandy-Rae ? Tom Sietas ? Most records have been set out of official competition.

The only problem to me is Mifsud claiming the world record while it's a national record, like he did for his 213m dynamic record (at the time the german national record was 215m).

It will be a national record, not a world record. .

without any posters like this?:
14265d1183289806t-new-sta-record-attempt-pending-misfud213m.jpg

No, I think there will be a poster like this unfortunately... That's what I blame Mifsud for.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I disagree with, not the poster, but the fact that Aida can judge the greatest distance in the world and only call it a national record. Its a disgrace, its the swim that counts, not red tape that demands other things to happen which have nothing to do with the swim.

I think Stephane is more accurate to claim a world record than Aida would be in pretending his distance was only a national record when it is obvious to all, that he was metres/seconds etc greater than the existing world record.

The only problem to me is Mifsud claiming the world record while it's a national record, like he did for his 213m dynamic record (at the time the german national record was 215m).

In that case he had no rights whatsoever to claim the world record. Only a national record. AIDA or non AIDA.

Here's a good link:

Nouveau record du monde d'apnée - Mediaplayer

Now, for those of us that don't speak French, can anyone share whether anything out of the ordinary was mentioned about Mifsud in the newscast? (such as what the doctor said after measuring his chest circumference)

Well, the comment at that place is that the physician is really surprised at the flexibility of Stephan's rib cage and that during 40 seconds of inhaling he gets 10 liters of air into the lungs (not quite clear if they mean extra 10 liters due packing or 10l total). They also tell that while he is able to get more air into lungs than others and cosumes less, he can achieve better results.

Before that they tell he trains 20 hours per week (swimming, bike, race-walking) since 8 years. Most of the resting comments are just the usual mass-media BS.

Before that they tell he trains 20 hours per week (swimming, bike, race-walking) since 8 years.

20hrs/wk is a lot of training, about how much a serious Ironman triathlete would do. Does anyone know if he does or used to do triathlons? Anyway, his obviously high level of cardiovascular training lends credit to my notion that cardiovascular training should benefit breathholding ability. I feel it's the only explanation for why I'm able to do a nearly-7:00 static with hardly any apnea experience. I've heard the argument that doing aerobic training is detrimental for breathhold ability, because "it trains the body to consume more oxygen"...which makes no sense.

over 10 minutes :duh:duh:duh:duh:duhcrazy.... congratulations!!!!!

20hrs/wk is a lot of training, about how much a serious Ironman triathlete would do.

only for info:
ironman triathlets like faris and co... trains up to ca 48 hours per week....

did tom also the protocol on his "over ten" performance?

20hrs/wk is a lot of training, about how much a serious Ironman triathlete would do. Does anyone know if he does or used to do triathlons? Anyway, his obviously high level of cardiovascular training lends credit to my notion that cardiovascular training should benefit breathholding ability. I feel it's the only explanation for why I'm able to do a nearly-7:00 static with hardly any apnea experience. I've heard the argument that doing aerobic training is detrimental for breathhold ability, because "it trains the body to consume more oxygen"...which makes no sense.

I think the common opinnion is that hard aerobic exercise has a short term detrimental effect on apnea - mainly due to the body consuming more oxygen due to recovery and the metabolism being elevated from regular workouts.

Ie you would train cardio in preparation for a static record, but you stop for a short period to get ready for the event. Personally I find 2-3 weeks to be a good period.

Talking of course of full inhale packing statics now. Exhale constant weight is a completely different story.

I hope he claimed a World Record and I hope freediving organisations accept that claim. A benchmark has now been set for Aida affiliated atheletes to come up to. Well done Stephane, its about time someone broke 10 minutes in a real and organised and very public competitive event.

Haydn, come on! Of course they don't accept this... Should we otherwise accept also Sam Still's and Tom Sietas their 10+ training records? They broke the 10 minutes barrier already 2 years ago FOR REAL... in training.

stephane mifsud new static record 10minutes 04 secondes

dear freedivers
july 12, at 6pm in front of AIDA french national judges stephane mifsud did 10 minutes and 04 seconde in static apnea (first and only attempt). the 3 judges including Guillaume Nery gave stephane the white card. National tv with satelite dish broadcasted the event live
here is the clip from the 8 oclok french news

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GL3phPh70aY]YouTube - stepane mifsud new STATIC WR 10 minutes 04 secondes[/ame]

keep an eye on my youtube page latter this week i will edit another clip with all the details

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

AIDA french national judges... So why o why no international AIDA judges??? I just don't understand. Does he want to make a point?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT