• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Stephan Whelan said:
Who says he is advertising it in that way. I hate to be picky (but I will :D) but you just said he doesn't say he is going to break the AIDA world record.
You misunderstood, Stephan. All I told was that Blaine did not claim to try to set a new AIDA World Record. But he does claim to be going to set a new world record in breath holding and that's absolutely incorrect, because if we do not respect AIDA as the official organization for certifying such records, then the world record is much longer than 8:58.

Last edited:
trux said:
You misunderstood, Stephan. All I told was that Blaine did not claim to try to set a new AIDA World Record. But he does claim to be going to set a new world record in breath holding and that's absolutely incorrect, because if we do not respect AIDA as the official organization for certifying such records, then the world record is much longer than 8:58.
On that point - I agree wholeheartedly! :D

It's showbiz.
I don't want to get edgy with all this - but he's not 'disrespecting' anybody by going for an official or unofficial or whatever. This is his act - it's how he makes his living. Blaine deserves respect for his self-discipline and hard work - he's an athlete in his own right. But this is his act. It's not the same as Martin and Doc and Many-Rae in the Caymans.

He works in the realm of pop culture - performing amazing Yogic feats for the masses. He can pretty much say whatever he wants in that realm.

Sure - people in general might start to think he holds the world record - but if they get interested enough to care they will quickly learn it's not true - and there will be that many more people interested.

Why look at Blaine as somehow competing? He's performing.

Last edited:
Unfortunately when dealing with a very famous person (Blaine), who makes a living from such events, he would need *financial* motivation to follow AIDA rules.

If someone can explain how Blaine would increase his profit from this event by a sizeable amount (say $20K+), by following AIDA rules, then please suggest it.

If you can't find any way that Blaine could dramatically increase his profit by following AIDA rules, then don't suggest it, because it is not a realistic suggestion. Any extra publicity or recognition (or money) he gets from following AIDA rules will be totally insignificant to the publicity (and money) he gets from the mainstream channels.

As Paul Kotik has repeatedly made clear, the real world of performance stunts lies in the financial profit, not the code-of-the-gladiator or honor or respect.

efattah said:
Unfortunately when dealing with a very famous person (Blaine), who makes a living from such events, he would need *financial* motivation to follow AIDA rules.
If you can't find any way that Blaine could dramatically increase his profit by following AIDA rules, then don't suggest it, because it is not a realistic suggestion.
As Paul Kotik has repeatedly made clear, the real world of performance stunts lies in the financial profit, not the code-of-the-gladiator or honor or respect.
A thief steals because it is an easy means of obtaining money, therefore nobody should bother making suggestions about what a person in the thief's shoes might do to be more honorable, moral, or considerate of those around him, since there is not an easy foreseeable way the thief will make more money that way.

Not my philosophy, but an interesting one.

[Disclaimer]
Oh, and in case one misunderstands, that is a metaphor for what it appears was expressed. I am not saying anybody IS a thief or is stealing. My statement is to emphasize a logically equivalent scenario which I think clarifies the point.

Last edited:
ahat shtayim shalosh - Eureka ! I've cracked the code ! ;)

Neshama I should be showing up there at some point as well although I don't know if I'll be there for the finale, I'll probably post to the Eeastcoastfreediver group before I go.

smellsfishy

First of all I must say (as a former magician) that I take great distance from Blains stunt, because comparing to all his other stunts he is now moving in on a sports area, and trying to break records, which he has newer done before. (I don’t consider standing inside a giant ice cube a sport).
This said you must remember that this is a show, entertainment, a trick, an illusion, and no matter what he cannot fail. I believe that he will get past Tom’s record, of cause with typical “magical” drama, but he will succeed. Just imagine if he fails, how much money that will be down the drain not to talk about his carrier.
So take it for the show it is and rest assured that REAL athletes have the REAL record.

Neshama I should be showing up there at some point as well although I don't know if I'll be there for the finale, I'll probably post to the Eeastcoastfreediver group before I go.
________

Friend - It will be a good idea-

tell the East cost freediver people to come to NY That day-

Im going to be there mayo 3 and the final day mayo 8 - taking some pictures jaja

also Martin and mandy and paul will be there

Im happy because - this is an oportunity to mee some you - my deeperblue freedivers friends!

saludos

I am not sure about the copyright aspect of recording and posting online, but if legal, it would be great to have some footage of the final stunt here - those of us not living in US will not be able to see the ABC show in May.

On a technique matter, i was wondering how David will do the "warm up" for his final attempt, while hooked to a regulator?!?! :head Or he'll be well "warmed up" after a week underwater...

Serge

The way Blaine operates it really does not matter if he breaks the record. Even if he fails the stunt will have been a success. Failing will not hurt his career and may even generate more interest in his next attempt. This is sort of a 'reality TV' thing - part of the appeal is that not everything is under control. His promos say he'll hold his breath for 9 minutes or die trying - they show footage of him ostensibly being revived after an attempt in a pool.

Of course the fact is he may well black out but there is very little chance of him actually dying. From an entertainment perspective all he has to do is try his best - with some good danger music in the background - and attract an audience. He is not banking on breaking the record - he is banking on creating a spectacle by trying. Pretty much 'win/win' for him.

Paul,

You asked us to give you arguments that you could use to convince Blaine for having his attempt confirmed by AIDA, so here you go:

Actually, I do not tell he needs to have it certified by AIDA. Not if he is not going to beat an AIDA record. However, since he is claiming he is going to beat the current world record in apnea, and speaks about AIDA's WR of 8:58, then he apparently recognizes AIDA as the organization being responsible for such certifications and should adhere to its rules.

If he really does not recognize AIDA as the official organization authorized to do such certifications, then he should definitely stop speaking about the AIDA 8:58 record, but rather beat one of many Tom's longer attempts that were recorded during competitions, trainings, or shows. Because if the AIDA rules play no role for Blaine, there is no reason they should play a role for Sietas or anyone else. Besides it, the many 9+ Tom's apneas, the 10:08 Tom's PB (with no Samba or BO), or the 15:02 Tom's O2 apnea are certainly not the longest recorded breath holds. I can find you many newspaper articles about rescued drowning victims who staid breathless for 20 minutes or even longer and survived without brain damage. So as long as the AIDA rules and specifically the surfacing protocol play no role, then we can tell that those accidents were actually world records in static apnea :)

So will Blaine try to beat the AIDA world record 8:58, or the longest breath-hold ever recorded? From what I read, it is the AIDA record. Then, my argument is, he should stick to the same rules, procedures and certification or stop spreading disinformation and lies.

Last edited:
Interesting comment about the black out.

David Blaine surely has infinite will power, I'm sure he can make himself black-out 100% of the time in static. So that might actually be part of the plan. In other words, he will know prior to the attempt if he has any hope of going over 8'58". If not, the agreement will probably to hold until the black out at 7'XX". The public will think that 7 minutes and some seconds is 'close' to 8'58", (which actually it is not), and the spectular blackout will make it look very real and dangerous -- probably creating a massive shock reaction which would increase interest in future attempts -- increasing funding, sponsorship and TV interest in future attempts....

In this scenario there is little reason to do an illusion....

There are some amusing threads out there on magic forums, but this one was particularly entertaining:

[ame="http://forum.gorillamask.net/showthread.php?t=23901"]Gorillamask Forums[/ame]

I like the "ripping the heart out" comment. rofl

Interesting piece: http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_27265361.shtml
He claims he's now at 6:58 minutes in training... If on normal circumstances that's pretty impressive for someone who is freediving for only 5 months.

David Blaine: Drowned Alive, "It's Out of Control"
By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith
Apr 27, 2006

"It's been out of control … ridiculous," reports an extremely weary-sounding David Blaine of his regimen for "David Blaine: Drowned Alive," his latest death-defying stunt.

In case you haven't heard, he'll attempt to hold his breath underwater longer than any human being (current record: eight minutes, 58 seconds) after living with a life support system in a specially built human aquarium for a week in front of New York's Lincoln Center.

"I've been breaking my system down daily, so it's been tough. This hasn't been like the other ones," notes Blaine, whose past feats of physical, emotional and mental endurance have included a 44-day fast in an acrylic box suspended over the Thames River in London, balancing on a 22-inch platform atop a 90-foot pillar in Manhattan's Bryant Park, and being frozen in a block of ice for over 61 hours.

Blaine has been training with a world-class elite free-diving team and Navy Seals to prepare for the stunt that will air live on ABC May 8. He's up to holding his breath for six minutes, 58 seconds thus far. However, declares the canny showman, "This has been the most rigorous training I've ever done, and it's harder than any stunt I've ever done and I haven't even done the stunt yet, so you can imagine."

He says breaking the record for freediving is something "I've always been obsessed with. As a boy on the YMCA swim team in Brooklyn I could win every race by not bringing my head up, and I would challenge kids to see who could hold their breath the longest. Every kid holds their breath underwater, which," he warns, "is a very dangerous thing to do by the way." So don't try this at home.

I just saw this quote that Chris Rock made in one of his show about David Blaine:
Are we so stupid, that we will fall for a TRICKLESS MAGICIAN??Cut a woman in half. Pull a rabbit out of a hat. What tricks does this guy have? "I'm in a box...and I aint gonna eat." Nigga, that aint magic, thats called livin' in the projects.
rofl

Wouldn't it be funny if David Blaine has a Samba... haha I would love to see the audience and hosts expressions.

"Uhh, Nancy it looks like David is having some difficulties there... yes, I think he is pulling up now... oh no, he seems to be going back down, well no, up... no down... umm what is he doing... ok there he is standing upright now... is he dancing... I think he has done it and is so delighted he is going to dance for us... WHAT A TREAT... this man is amazing!... Mind you, is that dribble coming from the side of his mouth?"

Reactions: naiad
tylerz said:
Wouldn't it be funny if David Blaine has a Samba...
He will have not only Samba. I am pretty sure that he is going to go until BO to achieve his goal. And as others already wrote, he needs a dramatic ending and a team of rescuers resuscitating him, so it is certainly fully calculated in. Nevertheless, he'll call it a World Record, even if they let him dropped in water for a minute or two in the blackout till 9:01. And he will call it a world record and "longer breath-hold than any other human being" in spite of much longer Tom's attempts without a blackout or Samba.

Hi Paul,

My opinions are based on the available evidence and not subject to insider information. I am making my own judgement.

1. Deception. Either Davids attempt is a valiant and true effort to break the Aida world record (it has been announced as such and we should therefore believe it). Or its something else. I can think only of three something elses, a trick, cheat or illusion. Maybe magic or miracle. However, if its not an honest world record attempt, we are being deceived. What else can we call it? Tom being robbed?

Now, we know it cant be called a world record (despite the headlines that have come and will come afterwards). Therefore as it is one of the something elses. We must judge we are being deceived, the facts speak for themselves.

2. Not wanting Aida. If we are being deceived, no wonder Aida is not wanted. Is Kirk an active player in this deception? We can try to find a fairer reason why Kirk does not want Aida at this attempt, while he wanted Aida at Martin and Mandys attempts last month. The best reason I could think of, was for us to rely on Kirks integrity by not inviting Aida. As Davids attempt is simply not a world record attempt (despite the headlines), there was no need for Aida. Certainly he must make the invite for a true world record attempt and want them there. Kirk has therefore either made a clerical mistake by missing deadlines etc or has simply chosen not to invite Aida (either choices technically invalidate a world record). However, in choosing to not to invite Aida, Kirk retains his integrity. Imagine behind the scenes, Kirk arguing to the producers why they cannot and must not invite Aida. I do not believe a mistake was made to exclude Aida, but a well argued case for not wanting them. Because of Kirks silence, we have to look at what evidences we have and examine the balance of probabilities. We have to judge for ourselves.

3. Kirk is the first to announce his events on Deeper Blue (often copies of press releases pages long), but when the biggest event in freedive history arrives at the scene, and he is involved, he is strangely silent, despite our requests for clarification. He must be tearing his hair out for want to put these matters straight. Put yourself in his shoes. Can you imagine the uproar if he were ever to spill the beans and say it was all a trick. The TV would sue him for ever if there is a contract demanding silence. There will also be an uproar if Kirk announces the attempt was genuine and a successful new world record, we simply wont believe him, despite seeing it with our own eyes or on the telly. We wont believe him because Aida was not invited and because of Davids profession, as an illusionist, its his job to create uncertainty. Did he or didnt he? Aida being invited would destroy this most important part of Davids job by showing a definitive red or white card.

If Kirk is honestly training David for a genuine attempt and it suceeds. Think of the 'fad' this might create in Americas wealthy elite, running to Kirks door for this most unusual new yoga based fitness training. Isnt it time to replace those 'Jane Fonda' workout videos with something new and fascinating? Kirk is ahead of the game and making it happen. Trouble is, this might happen even if the attempt is fake. Lets see what celebrities turn up over the next couple year. Tom Cruise breaking 10 minutes, Mark Spitz breaking 200m......
Its great. Well done Kirk. Its a great initiative.

Reactions: DeepThought
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT