• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

News from the 2005 AIDA Pool?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well I got 2/3 on names for both m/w, but not the exact numbers, I had predicted 204m for Tom and 166m for Natalia, and 175m for Alexey. I think I predicted 143m for Nordblad.

I wish we could see our own guesses from the lotto, cause I forget what I wrote on some of them.

got both #1 spots almost exactly
i said Natalia 175 (3m off) and Tom 215 (7m off) ...
that F1 will be mine... :D

-Correct name in the correct placement: 3 points
-Correct result in the correct placement: 2 points
-Correct result on the correct name: 2 point
-Correct name but in the wrong placement: 1 point
-Correct result but in the wrong placement: 1 point

strange that you only get 2 pts for a correct result - that is surely harder to predict...?

Hello from Renes. Just a quick update.

Natlias performance may not be a wr since she got penalties for late start, that's what they said anyway. We'll know better tomorrow.

Like someone speculated, Sebastien Murat has not arrived, I too guess he'll show up only for DNF.

Some may not be aware, but not everyone is doing every dicipline. I for example am only taking part in static...So it's a competition of it's own for every dicipline, no total points are counted.

For each dicipline, there is qualifying in the morning and in the evening finals with the 8 best. All 8 start at the same time in 8 lanes, which was pretty cool to watch.

I think it's a bit sad that the competition site is still not up with the results and you have to depend on hearsay and rumors. I'll try to keep Teppo updated as results come in, so you can check the fdtf site for "almost current" results.

Tomorrow is static day, starting around 9 am local time. There is a rumour going around that "there are 2 guys here who have done over 10 minutes in training". Maybe just a rumour...

By the way, it started raining really hard today, I sure don't envy the folks staying in tents (which is a lot of athletes). Well, should even things out a bit ;)

Something to note from DYN. 3 guys were left out of the final 8 with performances over 150m...So the level of performances was pretty high IMO...

it would be ridiculous if her dive was not considered a WR because she was late starting. why would that make it less valid?

I've heard that 10 minute plus rumour too.... exciting day tomorrow!

I would say that it was incredibly strong competition since two athlets broke old world record without all the special WR preparations (and they had to compete that morning in the trials..). And Alexey come just 1m short... Amazing.. Big congrats to all three of you champs!

yes, outstanding results. i met Alexey in Dahab last year when he was doing 60m+ constant weight. not bad going for a 17/18 year old.

static should be interesting... i have a feeling we'll see some blackouts... at the top levels too.

i now understand the format of the competition -with qualifying and finals. i like the idea of the final 8 starting at the same time. it must be great to watch!! i wonder if videos of the finals will be available on the net.

Last edited:
The only record that was broken was the 172m women's record. The men's record was 212m and was not broken.

Hello from Renens

I'm on site allso. Actually did my first big competition and manged 23. place with 111m. Well coulda been worse.

Stigs second 202m was avesome. I couldnt belive it. Tom was shaking quite hard after his 208 and almost forgot to take his googles off. Only after the whole croud aroung shoutet "googles" did he take them off. Still an amazing performance. Im just so impressed from this first day ... and everybody here is so nice. I eaven got a picture with Tom and Stig. The womens finals where also avesome. Natalija did the WR. I also heard about the late start but they mistaken her I guess because they said aftervards its a new record.

The mysterious man who everybody is talking about that did 10 min in statics is Sam Still. He announced 7min for tomorow.

have to leave now but will try and come ol tomorow again and report something.

If ud like to see some pictures U can go to www.h2oteam.com. the site is stil new so no english language yet but you can click on "fotogalerija" and then select "14. APNEA slike iz svetovnega prvenstva v Švici 2005" from the dropdown menu. Maybe u find something interesting.

If anybody from u guys is here just look up the slovenia team and ask for Sandi i would like to meet U guys and girls of course :).

Reactions: DeepThought
i find it very impressive that Stig did 2 x 200m dynamics in one day! sounds like Tom was pretty close to blacking out? what is the current rule on samba/BO now? you can samba but not BO?

ahh... our Sam. it seems everyone knows now. he nearly did 10mins a few weeks ago.

Sam Still?

You poms have kept that one quiet :mute Well done!

This is an amazing comp - I was theorising with my training buddy last night that because the constant and dynamic were split there would be some fantastic performances as everyone is a bit more fresh seeing as they haven't had constant first. It's exceeding all our expectations. Though I wish I hadn't missed the apnea lotto cutoff... my picks are looking good!

Has anyone BO'ed or samba'ed (samba either according to the old rules or new)?

Best of luck to everyone for the static and DNF

Ben

Last edited:
Those are some outstanding results.

While I'm not particularly nationalistic, really pleased to see the 2 kiwis (New Zealanders) doing well in the dynamics w fins:

Suzy Kensington placing second with 159m and Ant Williams managing 4th with 184m.

Great effort guys :king

Yes its realy amazing here.

Just for info statis are delayed for one hour. Its because of too much chlorine in the pool. They said yesterday they will try to worm up the pool as much as possible. I guess then something got wrong.

As for BO and samba/LMC. LMC is aloved acordng the new rules but BO is not. But now there is a problem of deciding what is a samba and what a BO. They where giving red cards to bad sambas aswell. Acording to judges head tillting and punching is a sign of BO because it should be like switchng off and on... Well it hit me also. I had a samba but not that bad. No head tillting only my shoulders where shaking for a few seconds and I got a red card. After protesting they recognized my performace...:)

And yes Tom was pretty close to BO I would say. But still he did amazing.

I find the new rules ok but i think there is still too much subjective judging involved at deciding what is a samba and what is a BO.

so it's the same problem all over again.

i think they should have left the rule as it was. the no samba rule was fine. ok, so a few competitive freedivers may get disqualified when they were clean - so what - it's not the end of the world. i think it's better that beginner freedivers don't see top freedivers setting world records with obvious sambas, because they'll think it's ok to do it themselves and set their own "PBs" with sambas, and safety standards could tend to slip...

SanSan said:
The mysterious man who everybody is talking about that did 10 min in statics is Sam Still. He announced 7min for tomorow.
That explains: Sam Still 5 7,14% 3 4,29% 4 5,71% 12
Well, it's not like I had a chance, guessed only 3/6 in dynamics...

So headbanging is back in fashion is it? AIDA rules are as changeable as the tax code...
Interesting to note that the only two persons (I can think of) who have ever had positive doping tests (and then had their names cleared mind) are the two same athletes who have exceeded 9 minutes (and both have gone on to reach 10).
Still, Sam's got a good name for static, and Sietas is an anagram of Siesta :)
The men's DNF will be very interesting - I think 7 of the finalists will get a pretty generous head start...

Sam has never taken any banned performance enhancing substance. to help dispel any negative rumours that may begin i can tell you that his very best times are mainly down to changes in diet, which have a massive impact on metabolism. it's not rocket science. he went from 8mins to nearly 10mins in the space of a couple of weeks!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT