• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

News from the 2005 AIDA Pool?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Attachments

• 89_syrenki_Ola_i_Gosia.jpg
    89_syrenki_Ola_i_Gosia.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 01_reprezentacja Polski.jpg
    01_reprezentacja Polski.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 85_medalisci_z_Renens.jpg
    85_medalisci_z_Renens.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 83_DNF_podium_kobiet.jpg
    83_DNF_podium_kobiet.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 30_DYN_Johanny_Nordblad.jpg
    30_DYN_Johanny_Nordblad.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Wow amazing comp.
Incredible performances, big congrats to all, specially Natalia, Alexey and Sam Still. Natalia has totally blitzed the old records, and in competition. I'm thinking Mandy definitely has some serious competition in the constant. I was doing longer statics then Sam in the last Cyprus, amazing someone can improve 3minutes+ in less then 1 year ?!
Alexey's results are scary, just 18 years old, not exactly a peak age for freediving, he would have a greater potential for improvement then any of the other top freedivers. Imagine what he will be like 1-2years from now, he could be the new Martin. :)

Does anybody know what the story is with Tanya Streeters "National Record" ?
Doesn't make any sense as she didn't qualify. Did they open the pool up for National Record attempts like they did in Canada or something ?

Cheers,
Wal

Walrus,

For each event (qualifying, finals), there was an "opener start", where people that are not in the actual competition would do performances. I guess this was to verify that safety, judges, cameras etc are rolling and ok. Sort of a "sound check" if you will.

The athletes that had not signed up for actual competition in a dicipline or had dropped out or something had a change to sign up for these "opener rounds" if they wanted (as well as safety divers, coaches etc). You won't get into the actual competition, but since all the judges are there and it is done "officially", it is my understanding it's a valid performance for AIDA ranking.

Tanya didn't make it to the finals, se made a dive under 100m if I remember correctly. But she gathered her self and dove in the opener round for the women's final, and did the record there (incidentally the surfacing looked very strong from where I was watching). It's my understanding that it won't be considerend a WR because it would have had to been part of the competition or announced as an WR attempt before hand. It sounds silly, but if you think about it, it's much easier to bust a record in an opener round, since basically all the mental stress is gone. I'm not saying it was not impressive, just that there is a reason WR attempts have to be announced and realized on the announced date.

Many athletes didin't realize the potential before, but towards the end alot of "dropped out" athletes started appearing in the opener rounds. I for example opened for static finals and DNF. I figured that if I've traveled all that distance, I might as well get all the experience I can.

Funny thing is, in my DNF round there were only 2 openers. Me and a swimmer. Just before top, the announcer said something like "on lane 1 we have an actual freediver and on lane 2 a swimmer who has never freedived in his life". So there I was, with huge neck weights, paradisia, impressive looking warmup routine, breathup, packing, everything...And diving to 65m or something. And then this swimmer, no experience, no breathup, no equipment, swimming a few laps for warmup goes to 90+ meters...Kind of embarassign ;) Well, DNF is not really my thing...

Last edited:
jome said:
Tanya didn't make it to the finals, se made a dive under 100m if I remember correctly. But she gathered her self and dove in the opener round for the women's final, and did the record there (incidentally the surfacing looked very strong from where I was watching).
How much did she do ???

Billextreme said:
Check the rules, point 1.30 and 1.31.

/B

(time to drive to NIce... ciao) :wave

thanks for you very obscure answer... rules of what ? about what problem ?

Walrus said:
I was doing longer statics then Sam in the last Cyprus, amazing someone can improve 3minutes+ in less then 1 year ?!

Wal, Sam didn't go to either of the Cyprus comps. Must have been someone else you were thinking of? His time in the UK Nationals last year was 5:41, and in Vancouver last August, 6:14.

I know it's a bit late, but big congratulations to Sam, Anne-Marie and Hannah, and all the other athletes that made great achievements. See some of you tonight in Nice :)

A clarification about what Bill is saying, check the rules from:
http://www.aida-international.org/Pdf/documents/AIDA Rules - v11.1.pdf

1.30 All athletes disqualified from a final heat will also be disqualified from general ranking of the discipline.
Performances realized during elimination heats do not enter in the reporting line. The result from the elimination
heats can in this case only be used for claiming World, Continental or National records.

1.31 All athletes realizing a smaller/lower performance in the final heat than the performance in the elimination heats
will appear in the general ranking with his performance realized in the final heat.

the same answer than the other deeperblue topic about this theme (in the same worst english/sorry)

there are the rules, but it is really fair?

actuelly the qualification and the final are two seperate perfomances:
pawel didn´t 146m in the fnale. he was bo.
but he did 139m in the qualification.
still the final he was better then all the other 40 athlets.
he wasn´t it in the final. in the final 6 other athlets are better...

in the end: he is one from the 8 best athlets in this comp (maybe with 0 points in the ranking). and he did the 139m for the aida-ranking2005.

what is the problem? who will say that is wrong? the rules should only help to be fair...

Actually, when there was a voting about the rules, I did not read this qualification/final section. Now when there has been this kind of competitios (Monaco static and Renens), it is easier to think and discuss about these rules. If I were a competitor, who did good performance in qualification but failed in finals, maybe I had a clear opinion.

Cool, Thanks for the link.
Hoping they would with so many records set.

+ Interesting too See what fins they use., and brand/type of mono

Here something different :
A movie of the mens finals Dynamics !!!!
Its big (40mb) but wanted to keep the quality up a bit.
Enjoy and sorry about the shaky last bit (i had to screem to Tom to take of his goggles ;-) )

"http://www.glennvenghaus.com/freediving/media/movies/WK2005_DYN_men_finals.zip"

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT