• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Objects found while freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
One pair Dolce/Gabana sunglasses...Wife was happy.

Too many anchors to count any longer.

A boat. A t-top for a boat. A helm chair for a boat. Fishing poles. Dive tank. Dive weight belts.

Word is a three carat single diamond and platinum ring is on the bottom of Lake Boca. They were scouring the area three weeks ago to no avail.

However the most useful thing to date was the Shimano TLD 20 I found on Thursday. Great shape, must of dropped over the side of some unlucky fellas boat.

Oh yeah, an alligator (several) and iguanas.

Reactions: Mr. X
When I was a broke kid in college, I had a Spring Break tradition, "Diving For Dollars." College kids used to wear cutoffs a lot in the water. Paper placed in cutoff pockets usually swam out into the ocean over time. Money sinks and in the spring there can be a weak offshore component that causes a seaward drift along the bottom. This heavier than water money would lodge on the land facing ledge of the reef. So, just tool down the reef and pickup the bills as you saw them. One weekend alone I found $175.. I was broke but had priorities despite that, drove two hours up the coast and bought a couple of trolling motors to build a diving scooter with. Kids.

Oh, did find some interesting, abandoned jetsum from a lost sailboat that eventually floated to shore once. A new 70 hp outboard, some gold jewelry, etc.. Being a broke college kid at the time, the cash from the sales came in quite handy. Boats, an 8 ft. former $1 M side scan sonar fish (surplus at the time, damn), plow anchors, a ton of stuff over the years. Never know what you might find out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
wooden duck decoy, fishing poles, anchors, ice auger, masks, snorkels, dive knife, weights, boat.

o.k... with a black bear added in just for fun:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X9mE1YLfIM]YouTube - Collecting Lures 2009[/ame]

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish and Jon
Amazing vid!! shame you couldn't get the lure from the pike though.

Garden folding chair. I thought it was the metal kind, not the plastic one. Not going to touch those without gloves :)

found lots of crab traps,shot gun shells ,brand new deep sea rod and reel,cell phones ,slip blades ,boat motor,ironing board,sail boat lol the whole thing,nuts bolts misc rusted objects,crab calipers,dead seagull on fishing hook weighted to the bottom. and a field of golf balls and or a very large area 20 by 20 feet square

Found: Cannonballs, RML practice shells, lures, fishing weights (to make into diving weights), a nice bronze propellor, and a £20 note in the Blue Hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Four small, dead hammerhead sharks and half of the shark mom in 70 ft.. She had been hit by a ship or maybe just chewed up by some other hammers while birthing. I was looking for a scuttled Hatteras at the time, which sadly I never found. It was supposed to have pot on board. Planned to send the pot drifting off north over the bottom to be lost forever with the Florida Current and salvage a nice expensive and clean sportsfisherman. Next time!

I found a D3, with some button damage, but when I repaired it and changed battery, it works! :D
The last dive with this D3 was done 4 years before I found it, the first one 6 years ago.

Anyway they don't make 'm like this any-more... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
There is a trolley, a bike and a bath tub in the bar / river where I grew up!

I’ve not found any valuable treasure but each and every time I dive I find an inner calm that seems to cover me from the shit of the outside world. It covers me like fresh sheets on a warm bed and I can for just a while completely relax and listen to my own heart just slowly thumping.

Sorry soppy 2 mins there, normal service will now return, right who needs banning!:blackeye

When I was teen my family lived on the Bay of Quinte in Ontario, Canada, across from a golf course.

My brothers & I would boat over to the shoreline of the course and snorkel around scooping up bags of golf balls, which we would then play with back at our place, mostly playing catch with the dog or seeing who could drive them farthest out into the bay from our dock.

I have two items to share here...

First: found off of the San Mateo County Coast of California while freediving - a huge water worn fossilized tooth. I don't know what species it came from but whatever it was, it was big.

fossils011.jpg

fossils023-1.jpg

fossils024.jpg

Second: found in the hills surronding San Francisco Bay while hunting for chanterelles - a fossilized cetacean ear bone that had been modified into a sphere shape by Native Americans. I found it in a thicket of poison oak where I was gathering chanterelles.
fossils015.jpg

fossils019.jpg

Here is an email I received from California Academy of Sciences...

John,

I showed your two found items to several people from other departments, and the consensus is that the the spherical piece is the ear bone from a whale, although it would be difficult if not impossible to say which whale. It is a bit larger than usual and it might show some human modification, but again, no one is positive. The second piece is definitely the remnants of a tooth. I couldn’t remember if that was the piece from the Pescadero area or not, but our geologists said that area does turn up some large shark teeth from the Miocene era, so it could be that. Let me know when you’ll be at the Academy again so I can arrange to return these to you.

Russ

Russell P. Hartman
Senior Collections Manager
Dept. of Anthropology
(415) 379-5385 (ph)

(415) 379-5739 (fax)
rhartman@calacademy.org
www.calacademy.org

California Academy of Sciences
Golden Gate Park
55 Music Concourse Drive
San Francisco, California 94118

***************************************************************************************************************

Its an Ithinkisaurus tooth.........

Podge, give yourself a slap with a wet fish. We wouldn't have an emotional outburst like that up here if we'd just lost a limb rofl

I know where your coming from though ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

ok.. time to come clean!

Whilst in Florida on a boat excursion we stopped over the reef to snorkel. Great fun and a great swim with a large Ray. Anyway on our way back to the boar my wife spotted a set of car keys on the bottom. I dived and collected them and took them with me back to the boat.

Being a smart arse foreigner I said in a loud voice... someone has lost a set of car keys! One of the crew took the keys as we sat down and dried off. When everyone was onboard he asked has anyone lost a set of car keys (I'm sitting on the bench looking very proud for the booty that I (my wife) had found.) :D

Reading from the car hire keyfob he read its an Avis Car... (Still grinning and no response from anyone).... Its gold (not grinning :eek:)... Its a ________ .. (not grinning anymore as it was our hire car! ... the embarassment of then saying "I think they might actually be mine"). :duh

By amazing coincidence I had lost the keys from my swimming trunks pocket on the way out but we had passed directly over the top of them on the way back.

I of course blamed all of the above on my wife! :thankyou

Reactions: Kars and podge
Its an Ithinkisaurus tooth.........

Podge, give yourself a slap with a wet fish. We wouldn't have an emotional outburst like that up here if we'd just lost a limb rofl

I know where your coming from though ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mate I went straight home and cut of my pie eating hand with a blunt Scallop shell just to bring me back down to earth.:blackeye:blackeye
Pav, nice one mate and buggered if I’d have owned up to it, sooner have walked back to the hotel.roflroflrofl

Reactions: Bill
ok.. time to come clean!

Whilst in Florida on a boat excursion we stopped over the reef to snorkel. Great fun and a great swim with a large Ray. Anyway on our way back to the boar my wife spotted a set of car keys on the bottom. I dived and collected them and took them with me back to the boat.

Being a smart arse foreigner I said in a loud voice... someone has lost a set of car keys! One of the crew took the keys as we sat down and dried off. When everyone was onboard he asked has anyone lost a set of car keys (I'm sitting on the bench looking very proud for the booty that I (my wife) had found.) :D

Reading from the car hire keyfob he read its an Avis Car... (Still grinning and no response from anyone).... Its gold (not grinning :eek:)... Its a ________ .. (not grinning anymore as it was our hire car! ... the embarassment of then saying "I think they might actually be mine"). :duh

By amazing coincidence I had lost the keys from my swimming trunks pocket on the way out but we had passed directly over the top of them on the way back.

I of course blamed all of the above on my wife! :thankyou

This is the answer Pav. Great invention. Got one a couple of years ago and swear by it.

Dave.

Attachments

• keypod_combination_padlock_key_safe_surf[1].png
    keypod_combination_padlock_key_safe_surf[1].png
    56.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT