• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

oct 13th

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Whopperhead

Wisconsin Speargun Hunter
Mar 2, 2007
hey I have off again on Sat. ILDiver wants to get out again- I was thinking maybe Upper NEMAHBIN Lake - It looks to have Carp and vis around 12' Or Like Bgill said Golden Lake - just not sure if they have Carp- I want Carp. I don't think Mendota will be clear enough - otherwise I'd even try there. Open for suggestions.

:martial

Golden is nice..but VERY limited parking...I suppose it would'nt be a problem though. We could always park at the walk in spot at the north end of the lake and stuff everyone in my van to get to the south end. I'm sure you already saw the pics Scott!!! YES THERE ARE CARP IN GOLDEN! No boats would be needed...My yak and canoe are always good to put stuff in though.

One of these days I'll have to drive more than 30 minutes to try by someone else...But there are literally 10 or 15 GOOD lakes that close to me...Some even closer!

Last edited:
I was out running by Lake Monona today and the vis was still crap. If there's vis over in Waukeshau I'd be up for heading that way.

Jon

I dunno Dan, there looks to be plenty of parking here??? I'm sure we could scare up a golf cart to haul our stuff to the water too! Golden Lake is good for me. As always, I'm a sheep when it comes to picking the lake, I just follow.

Attachments

• GoldenLakeParking.jpg
    GoldenLakeParking.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 160
Those pics of the carp are persuasive - I say we try Golden Lake. What time?

UNFORTUNATELY......I might be up north bowhunting for deer in Bayfield Co. - Again I say MIGHT be...It really depends on what checks come in or not. Right now I have more upcoming bills than money. I can't feasibly make the trip up there if I'm too broke - Or take days off to do it. I won't make the drive up there unless I take two days off. It's just not worth it to me. It's the only place I have to Bowhunt besides my back yard where I don't see small game hunters, dog walkers, hikers, etc. In my backyard I hear the neighbors & dogs & small game hunter's shooting it up at the Vernon Marsh...Less than a mile from me.

More than once I've had squirrel hunter's shooting up into trees very close to me while hunting on public land. Pisses me off - But it's thier land too! I even started wearing blaze orange while bowhunting! Even that did'nt help!!!! So thats why I drive almost seven hours just to hunt deer.

Too many times on public land I've had my hunt spoiled right at PRIME TIME. I now hunt public lands in Bayfield County - And have been for the past 5 years. I have yet to even SEE another hunter...Even during the gun deer season. Peace and solitude at it's finest. Above water anyways!

I own my own business..So it's usually feast or famine when it comes to money. Golden Lake however is just a short drive for me! I may end up hunting in my back yard if no-or only small checks come in. If thats the case I will be there Saturday. I'll just hunt the back 8 early morning that day. I'm not lucky enough to have land or any relatives that do. Every place I've ever obtained permission at has been either sold or leased right out from under me. So I've all but given up trying to get permission anymore. I rent the property I live on. One ex wife and a 10 year bad relationship cost me EVERYTHING...TWICE!

Never the less...Golden Lake can be awesome for carp. I would'nt say it holds alot of them...but most of them I SEE in there go way big. There are some REALLY nice panfish in there too. The lake is rather small as far as lakes go - But it does receive LOTS of pressure during the summer...And through the ice...Alot of VERY FINICKY and TIGHT LIPPED fish...We have a solution for that though!!!!:martial

If I head up north....Good luck guys...I'm sure you'll do fine without me. Remeber...There IS more parking a mile or so up Golden Lake Road if the launch is full. Or maybe you could ask the owner of the bar just east (I think) of the launch if you guys can park at Millers Sandy Beach...Tell them you guys are out to decimate the carp population on the lake. It might do the trick! Then you can just walk across the street and jump right in!

P.S. for some reason the local game wardens AND the town of Summit police watch this lake like hawks...They even put a boat in once in awhile. So MAKE sure you are all legal IN EVERY way!!!!

Last edited:
Jon, Golden Lake good? Another spot you got your eye on?

Bgill, I've been thinking about what you said on the gun and putting foam in the barrel to give in float. Just some thoughts here.

1) You want the gun to be balanced, you don't want to be fighting on end sinking while the other end is floating, you'll be fighting it to aim.

2) You don't want it positively bouyant when the spear is on it. It's best to get it neutral. Then when the spear leaves, it floats.

3) I'm not sure how even that foam will lay in the barrel. You may end up with air pockets, or spots that are more dense. And worst case the barrel could bulge.

It just occured to me that I have a short piece of round foam that might fit in there, but it's way two short and might shift inside. What it is, is the same material as the noodle floats for in a pool. What I would try and do would be to cut one of those down to length, then use the barrel to try and "core" it. Set one end of the barrel on the carpet, put the foam at the other end and try to pass the barrel through the center. Then it is removable if you find that is won't work. I'm not sure how thick the wall is on that barrel, or if the edges would cut the foam. But at least if you got it in you could get it out with a dowl rod or something. DUDE PIPE INSULATION, it's split and hollow, but that may keep it from being too bouyant.

P.S. I talked to Mark Laboccatta today, he said to tr the suit on again with a few suggestions and he is POSITIVE it will fit! So I'm trying it on again today.

Last edited:
That is an awesome suit! Great for Spearfishing! I'm sure your scuba shop has them on-hand. Is it the Red in the hood that has you hooked ;) I emailed those pics to you.

Reactions: ILDiver
We need to figure a way to get gun pov shots or over the shoulder shots of a kill or 2...or 10.

oh we will get some good shots- what is POV shots? Have you seen my other videos? on youtube - just type in Whopperhead

I have a camera mount on my wood gun for just those kinds of shots. I was too busy playing around with my new Pneumatic to use it, but I have gotten some nice videos with it in the past.

I've never dove golden, but have heard good things about it. I have dove Upper Nehmabin in the past and wonder, if we had Scott's boat, if Lower Nehmabin might be better for spearing?

Rock Lake could be another possibility as it looks to be clearing. I know that we got skunked there this spring but I have gotten big carp in there before.

Jon

Last edited:
POV = Point Of View, like Jon's pics there. Or the camera operator comes in just behind the shooter, but that takes skill as they have to work together and the camera man does not want to spook the target.

Nashotah Lake should be relatively clear...don't know about access though. Moose lake is also "right there" in the area. TOO MANY TO PICK FROM in my neck of the woods!

Great pics guys! Next time I'll bring the can opener! But hey, Khel's dive knife looked like it opened that kraut right up!

that was my knife- Rock Lake is A nice lake- It doesn't matter to me where we go- I can bring the boat ANYTIME! Jon- I say , since you can go this Saturday, You make the call on where we should try.

Also, you guys said you can't copy the pics? I just did. I click on the pic- it brings it up bigger, then I "right Click" and "save Picture as.." If any of you want larger copies of the Pics from Saturday- PM me your email and I'll send you the whole load.

Whopperhead - You probably have 6 of them (dive knives) anyways!:t

Only joking! (but it probably IS true!) I can sharpen your knife for you if you'd like. I like to keep my knives shaving sharp. You can literally shave hairs right off of your arm after I sharpen a knife. It was hard for me to watch you open a can with it!!! But afterall, a knife IS a tool.

BTW - I discovered yesterday that you have my life jackets!!! I did dig up two more from a friend though. No need to rush to get them back to me...I'll see you sooner or later.

If I don't get up north - I'll be wherever you guys wanna go. It's looking like I'll probably be hangin' out with you guys...HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY!!!

I can't beleive all the days federal workers get off and WE pay them for it...Wanna solve the national debt problem? Thats EASY....Take away Columbus day as a PAID Holiday - Martin Luther King's birthday - George Washington's birthday - And Veterans day (Except for ACTUAL Veterans) - But thats a whole 'nother topic - Not for THIS site.:naughty

:vangryI'm a Veteran - ILDiver is a Veteran - Tass is a Veteran...Wheres OUR paid holiday off? What B.S.!!!!:vangry I think I'll take off Tomorrow...Afterall - IT IS JOHN LENNON'S Birthday....:martial

I'm ranting because I drove to the post office today to get mail (checks) and send out invoices...THEY WERE CLOSED!!! Here in my world...It was just another MONDAY!:vangry

Last edited:
Rock Lake would be nice for carp, but if there's way to get onto Moose I would love to go.

I used to dive there all the time, before the resort went condo and we lost our access.:head I know we would have the lake to ourselves and there would be some nice pan fish to shoot. There's also a little wreck in there at around 25'.

We would need a boat for sure to gain access on their, but it should be worth it.

Dan, do you know if the old boat launch is still open on the south west end of the lake- and is there parking?

Jon

DAN! The waters are calling you. The carp are taunting you. You know you can't resist hanging with us! We are full of laughs!

There IS a small NEW launch with VERY limited parking not too far past Nashotah park. It is a NICE Launch...Yaks and or Canoes would suffice. But you CAN launch a boat there. Lots of structure in that lake (Moose)...It's a FAVE of mine too! I suggest evryone pile into one or two vehicles....NOSTRES WHERE ARE YOU? NICE VAN DUDE!

Psssst...Don't blab too much...Not many people know about it!!! (and here I go putting it up here for the world to see!):t

Not sure about the clarity...but in the summer when I stopped going there - it was about as clear as Lake Geneva was the other day. Just two weeks before that last trip it was crystal clear. The sudden algae bloom had me going to Lake Michigan...Which was well worth it when the Perch were in! I'd Imagine the vis may have gotten better since then?:confused:

I told you guys...There are just TOO MANY good lakes to pick JUST ONE down here!:)

And yes...We do make a fun bunch!

P.S. - With all the fun stuff I liketo do....I am so torn between bowhunting and spearfishing - I never though ANYTHING could get in the way of bowhunting....Well, I have the sickness! It's like having two beautiful ladies and you love them both!!! What does a man do? I'm so confused!:duhYOU ARE TAUNTING ME ILDiver!!!!:waterwork

P.S.S. - Jon, The launch is CLOSE to the wreck in 25 fow. The wreck is just off the tip of a small island -The launch is near the other end of it! We could just "fin out" real easily....Thats what I usually do. Then I work my way over to the old sunken stone piers. If I have a buddy along I bring the canoe. I usually have a small bite to eat near the stone piers.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT