• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

oct 13th

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I was thinking more along the lines of Golden Lake, after bgill's success there this week, or Moose Lake- because of the lack of boat traffic. Both of these lakes would be much warmer than Lake Michigan right now.

Jon

Wreckrunner, your more than welcome to join. Lake Michigan was a good dive last time, just not a good hunt. Well, until the last hour then the vis dropped and we started seeing the fish.

The pictures of bgill's carp from last sunday make Golden lake appealing. I'm not sure where Moose lake is, but it sound questionable on access? Rock Lake looks like a bigger lake, we would most likely need a boat for that one. I'll go ahead and vote for Golden lake this time. What say ye?

I'm in For GOLDEN LAKE- Bgill- do We Want to meet at your house- and maybe 2 vehicles instead of 4,5,6 vehicles - Think about the enviorment man! ;)

I went to Crystal Lake today to see If I could sneak in on some Monster Carp- But No can do - The vis was about 2' - ALL the water was Milky in color ? Weird. Water Temp was 60 degrees- Swung by Lawrence Lake to check conditions and that lake was Crystal Clear- I could see the bottom in 7' of water- That was a big improvement from this summer.

Wreckrunner- If your gonna shoot fish- you might want to get into Wisconsin Earlier and pick up a Fishing license- you can go 3/4 day for about $12 or get annual for $50- If you don't want to shoot fish and just want to Dive- Don't worry about it then ;)

Wreckrunner,

Welcome aboard. It is great to have another one to add to the sport. We are starting to get a nice following here. Might be a little cooler than in FL, but we have a good time with it. Be certain to come to the Ice Dive (Freeze-A-Paloza) in Feb (see sticky thread on top of "Wisconsin Freedivers & Spearos" forum).

Hope to see you at some outings.

Gene

I have not had a chance to get out since I was at Golden the other day...I DO LIKE GOLDEN LAKE THOUGH...Vis was not the greatest but should be improving a little every day. The green stuff was stratifying just above the thermocline...But under it there was awesome vis. Good vis in shallow too...Where the bigger carp were!

Moose may also be O.K. but like IlDiver said...Parking COULD be an issue. No problem to meet at my place though. I don't see Moose being any murkier than Golden..In fact it's probably clearer...

We COULD do BOTH lakes in a long day easily. They cant be more than 40 minutes apart from each other - and I'm willing to bet they're closer than that.

There are so many lakes really close to me...Alot of them stay relatively clear all year long. I have yet to check out Phantom or Wind or Kec-nongo-mong Lake (Long) or Wabesee or Denoon or Little Muskego or Beaulah (very clear) and Pine and Beaver and Lac Labelle, or Hunter's or Fowler......I could just keep rattling off lakes! Most of them I've fished but I've only dived a few. Some are LESS than 15 minutes away from me.

Okauchee, Oconomowoc, Nagawicka, Silver, Beaver, Pine, North, Crooked, Eagle Spring, All 3 Genesee lakes, Henrietta, Waterville, Keesus, Upper & Lower Nashotah & the Nemahbin Lakes, Upper Ococnomowoc, Ottowa (state park), Pretty, Utica, & Willow Spring.

SO....WHERE DO YA WANNA GO? All of these lakes are less than 40 minutes from me!!!! Most of them are relatively clear...The usual brown/green ones I did'nt mention. There are plenty of others too that have decent vis...But maybe a bit farther than 30-40 minutes...Lake Geneva th...35 minutes for me.

I say Golden and or Moose - Just because I am very familiar with them...Meet here at my place? What time? I like 9:00 or earlier...But thats up to you guys. I like to dive ALL day with barely a break...Golden would be really nice for a lunch on shore if anyone wants to bring a grill...Also no problem for parking...I'll make sure of that...Even If I have to talk to Mrs. Miller.

JUST got off the phone with Mrs. Miller of Miller's Sandy Beach - Mrs. Miller is kind enough to not only let us park there but she is ALSO opening up the lounge AND bathrooms for us!!!! Providing her maintenance guy has'nt drained the water yet...:t

I say we all chip in and leave her a few dollars...She is 92 years old (I think) and I'm sure could use it...She is the sweetest lady you could ever want to meet! I told her we would be freediving/diving and that we would be picking up any garbage we see plus trying to get rid of some carp...She only requested that we take the carp with us but we can dump any garbage in her dumpster.

Last edited:
Golden Lake it is. I'll meet you at the lake, if this place you talk about can handle the parking. Is Whopperhead bringing the boat again? I don't mind swimming it, just curious if the lake requires the boat to get anywhere good from our start point. I'll be at the lake at 9:00 - 9:30.

Last edited:
I'd like to meet at the lake since going to your house first would only make me backtrack to get to the lake.

I'm up for 9 or 10. If I can get Unirdna to tag along 10 might be better since he likes his beauty sleep. ;)

Jon

I'll meet at the lake 9-9:30ish - - If you want me to bring my boat I can- otherwise- I'll leave it home. I'll take what ever carp people don't want to take with them. I like to put them in my bathtub and roll in them. Not really. But I do put them out in my fields.

Bgill - get us a address of where we can meet- and I'll punch it in my nav system-

I hope I can get better video this time-

MEETING AT THE LAKE:

460 S. Golden Lake Rd.
Oconomowoc, WI. 53066 (Town of Summit)

See you guys there!

If you get there before me make sure you go AROUND the building and park in the grass just below the road...The bathrooms and changing rooms should/might be open JUST FOR US!!! I'll probably be there first though...I'm closest. Only 25 minutes drive for me.

Scott, you CAN bring your boat but there is really no need to...The lake is only 244 acres. The launch IS free and you can park your trailer by Miller's Sandy Beach...Usually the spots at the DNR launch are taken...but that don't matter to us! We don't have to park there! :eek: WE'RE SPECIAL!

P.S. - Pretty much the WHOLE lake has good huntin'!!!

0775900z.gif

Last edited:
I will be leaving the boat at home then- Save on Gas. My wife just informed me my Birthday is Sat. Oct 13th. :confused: - But I'm still coming - cause Spearing fish is what I would want to do on my Birthday. rofl (i'm turning 32 and I'm already forgetfull :t)

Thanks whopperhead, I have a license already. And I did the same thing for my 30th birthday earlier this year......great way to spend it! Would you guys like me to bring my diveyak as a platform for everyone? It was always a great thing to have in FL.....like a giant floating bench with a cooler.

As far as the yak, if you don't mind dragging it, it's up to you really. Last week we had Scott's boat to get out of the water on to. At lake Michigan we just shored up for a small break. If you have a float, that is prolly easiest on you.

Whopperhead, can I borrow one of your steel stringers? My parents are bringing me one at the end of November.

Last edited:
I'll probably bring my Yak & just anchor it somewhere near where I'm diving...Big carp can get to be a pain to drag around all day. Plus it gives me a reference point and a resting platform.:cool: Not to mention I seem to stack some garbage (dumped beer cans & bait containers)up in it too on some days. I presume its a few hook & line fishermen & some of the pleasure boaters that toss their trash in the lake...:confused:

Again...The beach (if you want to call it a beach) is open to us for cooking, resting, etc. As well as a grassy park like area where we will park our vehicles. I usually don't eat much if diving but them brats last week were good! Not good for my subsequent breath holds though & that saurkraut seemed to make my back end more buoyant!rofl

I would like to team up with someone or sometwo & kinda do the one up one down thing like me & ILDiver (Chris) did on Lake Geneva (at the last spot). Actually we ALL should do that. This lake only goes 40 foot or so...I like to go deep sometimes here...I dont see as many fish deep, but the ones I do see then are usually bigger. I like to play it safe IF POSSIBLE. There are big enough fish in this lake to make a guy push it just a little too far sometimes - Me included.:duhI've seen and took some incredible sized panfish here.

:inlove This lake is my hands down personal favorite for spearing and bringing the family to swim & picnic it's so close for me...I get pretty comfortable there for some reason. (BIG FISH!!!) Also the boaters seem to keep thier distance better than most other lakes.

WARNING: HAVE A LICENSE IF YOU ARE GOING TO SPEAR AT ALL!!! THE DNR IS VERY HOT ON THIS LAKE!!! YOU WILL GET BUSTED HERE! :naughtyAlso be careful not to spear any walleyes...Alot of small ones in here lately...They ALMOST look like nice sized perch at first glance.

This is gonna be fun....Supposed to be in the 60's and sunny!

:martialGIANT FAT CARP WILL DIE FOR SURE...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!:martialGettin' pumped already!

Last edited:
Chris - i will bring my extra stringer- along with all my other EXTRA'S. I got some new Tips in the mail today that I'm excited to use- They look like some real Carp Punishers.

I haven't taken pics of them- they look like the ones I have already except with a 4" wingspan and VERY sharp Point- They are just VERY VERY SHARP!

Chris, you mentioned that your fins were on the small size last week. I will bring along a pair for you to borrow tomorrow, sorry I won't sell them, and I guarantee you can wear your normal scuba booties with them. If you like them I'l let you know where you can find a pair- if you don't it's a cheap way to find out.

Scott, I'll bring along my ICE fins if you want to try them out (42-44) as I will be wearing my thicker socks and my C4's tomorrow instead.

Looks like Ted (unirdna) can't make it this week, but I'll still be loaded for bear- I mean carp. ;)

Does everyone have a surface float, otherwise I have a couple extras I could bring along?

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT