• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

oct 13th

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jon, thanks, I'll try another fin for sure. I didn't have near the problems with my new booties. They are 3mm, but I was able to get my feet in with less trouble. I may slpit the top of the foot pocket and lace it.

I have a float. Lokks like we have 5? not a bad group!

I may slpit the top of the foot pocket and lace it.

Do that and wear your red hood!!!!!But make sure you use yellow laces!!!!

roflWATCH OUT CARP...HERE COMES RONALD MCDONALD!rofl

Sorry ILDiver I could'nt resist!!!! I sure can tell it's FRIDAY!

You know that hood is dead sexy! And yellow laces are not a problem. Was actually considering it.

Jon, how long is the tuna bungee you use on your float? I assume it's a tuna bungee, I noticed it's neoprene and I figure it prolly stretches. Technosport has them in 60', I was going to see if they could make 2 30' cords out of it.

Whopperhead, you bringing a kill gun along? When I tie into a 50lb carp I want to have a security blanket. Can't have the fish story of it pulling off the spear!

So my gun is rigged with an open muzzle now and I'm ret-ta go!

Hey guys, if anyone has an old speartip for a JBL I can borrow or buy, I'd appreciate it. I can't remember what box I packed mine in when I moved up here.

I'll be bringing a hawiian sling just in case, but if the bottom looks anything like lake geneva, I'm gonna likely lose a shaft in the weeds if I try to use it very much.

see you guys in the morning.

Jeremy

WreckRunner - I have about 7 extra JBL speartips- I might be able let you borrow one or you can buy one of my older ones- by older I mean from this last summer-

ILDiver- I plan on Having a gun in my hand and have another one strapped to the float. If I'm close by and see/hear you or anyone else shoot one- I'll zing over and see if they/you want another shot put in.

Jon- I would use those ICE FINS cause they are nice- but I think 44's are a bit small- I have big feet i guess- I ordered a pair of those Ice Fins From JIM- I thought they'd be here today- but I guess not. I had to order 45-46.

Reactions: bgill
Thanks Whopperhead, if you have a plain cheap one you are ok with me borrowing for tomorrow.....I'll take good care of it, and will replace it if something happens to it.

9am sounds good.

Bgill, have you ever checked out Utica Lake? I see it's very close to Golden and the lakesat.org website says that it's super cear.

Jon

Jon- Utica IS SUPER CLEAR...But its ONLY 14 acres...And only about 25 feet deep. I have been there before several times...it is full of Largemouth bass and billions of stunted bluegills...thats about it. The only access I know of is through a loooong trail in muddy cattail swamp...Walk in only - and parking is practically non-existant. Things may have changed a bit since then...That was when my now 20 year old son was about 12!

Yup...I have a 20 year old son too!!!! A woman I now call "The Sea Hag" had bore him for me when I was just 19!!!!

It is a nice lake to bring little ones though...NO BOATS! Nowadays my 20 year old son wants nothing more than a wetsuit and a polespear...He's hooked too now...I credit our Utica trips for his never ending love of water and nature.

And because it is totally spring fed...The water is clear and very cold year 'round. Little kids just love to see all the little fishies...and cold water never seems to phase them!

Definately not a lake for spearfishing - The VIS is OUTSTANDING though.

Golden lake is 244 acres - And is considered small by most standards. But I LOVE IT!

I better go to sleep...See you all in about 9 hours!

Last edited:
Great day of diving- 6 people showed up!

Water temps was a little bit cooler than last week- 59F. Vis was pretty good once you got below the surface. Water was flat calm and we only had to share the lake with a couple of other boats.

We got more than a couple of carp. Whopperhead got the biggest one which came in at just over 29 pounds. I got a couple of 20 pounders and there were even a few bluegills and crappie thrown into the mix. ILdiver got a dogfish and I saw some nice garfish in there as well.

In all we spent more than 6 hours in the water- burning off more calories than I care to think about.

Here's a couple of shots from today:

Last edited:
Wow Jon!!!!!

That's a lot of carp!!!! Who's gonna eat it all?

Too bad I didn't make it this time cause I am sure there was a lot of fun there. Well, I'll see You guys in November.

good job!

Today was alot of fun! Vis was ok- I had a hard time finding the Carp= I did end up with 2 - and a PB carp of 29#1oz - I saw LOTS of Northern and a few Gar- I even caught a Gar with my Hand- :) Here's a few Pics and I'll pull more off the Video camera. I'm done with my 3mm for the year- I started to feel the cold in the last hour.

All the carp will Taste Great rofl (to the Eagle that eats them)

Attachments

• IMG_0011-1.jpg
    IMG_0011-1.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0013-3.jpg
    IMG_0013-3.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0002-1.jpg
    IMG_0002-1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 155
That was great guys........thanks for showing me how it's done with these monster carp you have here.

I look forward to tagging along on the next trip.

-Jeremy

PS - best quote of the day goes to ILDiver, in response to some lady looking at the group with distain..... "I think it's because I was dragging my bloody fish across the highway...."

That got funnier the more I thought about it......especiallay with that calm monotone voice.

Reactions: ILDiver and bgill
Great job you guys...so what was the vis like, & what was the key to finding the carp? Did they have a pattern?

Gene

I'm glad I could show you guys a nice lake with some NICE carp for once...I'm probably hanging up my wetsuit for the year in exchange for bowhunting deer...I too started to feel the cold. But maybe thats cuz I forgot my hood at home!:duhIronically the guy from Texas "Wreckrunner" had an extra hood on his Diveyak I was able top use! Thanks Jeremy! I was fine until I got out for awhile...I thought EVERYONE was already out! I was thinking "What wimps!" then when I got out I discovered it was Wreckrunner and Khel...Too bad Khel could'nt stay longer - I did'nt even get to say hello.

I do think I may take a ride up to the "outlet" though atleast once. I'm sure my crappy "ScubaMax" will work for an hour or two...IF I REMEMBER MY HOOD!

Awesome outing guys....I wish I woulda stayed in longer...I did stick two carp but they pulled off somehow...They were heading away from me when I stuck'em so I imagine I just hit soft tissue. Man them carp are really soft when they get big. I never did see any pan fish worth shooting today. Thats what I'm usually after...The carp are just incidental targets to me. I did see lotsa northerns though. Cool to look at & man are they FAST!

P.S. - Me and Wreckrunner ended up leaving little 'ol lady Miller $23.00 all together. I think everyone else must've forgot about the little donation I requested we all pitch in and leave for her...I was gonna leave only three bucks but I felt bad and left her $10.00 more....Me...The guy who probably needs the money the most right now! She did open the place up JUST for us and allowed us to park and use her beach. In the summer she charges 9 bucks per car! That & flippin' burgers in that little shack all summer with no A.C. is her only income...Oh well :naughty...Next time I'll make sure you guys don't forget!

;)NOW I KNOW HOW YOU GUYS CAN AFFORD ALL THAT FANCY GEAR!;)

Last edited:
Bgill - Sorry bout the $$ - I had my wallet out to go put a few bucks in- but then we all got to talking and I just forgot- I'll reimburse you ;) I would think in a couple week or a month - the OUTLET should be good and ready. Here's a few more pics I pulled off the Video Cam- KHEL - sorry I missed you, I would of hung around that area- had I known you were coming for sure. get some video of you. Next Time.

Attachments

• PIC_0029.jpg
    PIC_0029.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 160
  • PIC_0033.jpg
    PIC_0033.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 160
  • PIC_0032.jpg
    PIC_0032.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 164
  • PIC_0038.jpg
    PIC_0038.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 159
  • PIC_0041.jpg
    PIC_0041.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 160
I didn't get many pics of WreckRunner or Bgill- but that's cause they weren't by us- I was thinking about this today- What if we would of all gone in A line (one in towards the shallow all the way through the deeper end) In A line I wonder if we would of got more carp? I might have to bring 2 totes rofl

Attachments

• PIC_0042.jpg
    PIC_0042.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 172
  • PIC_0028.jpg
    PIC_0028.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 154
  • PIC_0026.jpg
    PIC_0026.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 151
  • PIC_0025.jpg
    PIC_0025.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 155
  • PIC_0048.jpg
    PIC_0048.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 167
Ok - this is the last of them. If any of you want the larger files - Just PM me you email otherwise - click on the pics then right click and "save photo as..."

Attachments

• PIC_0037.jpg
    PIC_0037.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 161
  • PIC_0029.jpg
    PIC_0029.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 146
  • PIC_0044.jpg
    PIC_0044.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 157
  • PIC_0047.jpg
    PIC_0047.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 143
I haven't read all the posts, just skimmed them and looked at the pics. Dude I'm so sorry, I was going to get up there and drop money and I got to talking and my short term memory sucks. I'll make it up, next trip up I'll give you some cash to drop off or something. I know we will be going back to that lake. I feel like crap.

Nice pics guys.

Ok, after reading, I still feel like crap for not leaving $. Overall, grat time. Saw some big carp the got away. I saw the weeds moving and tails swimming away multiple times. I also feel bad that Wreck and Bgill din't get any fish. I got a decent bluegill on my way out and I heard Wreckrunner say he saw a carp, I figured they were into them. Khel got a few shots in, then his shot line broke and that was his day.

The 5mm OMER suit did great. Kept me very comfortable!

Last edited:
Great lake for carp spearing!! Too bad I didn't have enough time (was diving for 50 min or so ) - had to go to work :( Probably could have stayed a bit longer, but the line on speargun broke off when I took a shot at carp. So, I said "goodbyei" to spear, but to my surprise, I've found it :)

Oh, and I've learned 2 things:
1. I need a BIGGER GUN for carp, as my 60cm pea-shooter with single band doesn't cut it. Heck, I had my spear bounce from some bigger rock bass before. So, next time I'll bring my 90cm for carp outing.

2. I need to get a good floatline.
One of the carps that I've seen I was just afraid to shoot, cause I wasn't sure that I'll be able to wrestle without a floatline.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT