• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Man Dave - sad news.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Can't believe it's been two years already! me n James were only talking about him the other day. A true gent and very much missed!

Reactions: foxfish
love the pictures Mart. Dave is and always will be sorely missed by many.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I did not have the pleasure of meeting Dave but it goes without saying he was highly regarded. It is nice to see all the compliments paid to him and take in all that spearing brotherly love. Very nice for his family.

I know Shiny will be happy for Dave and his family with the video he compiled. He spoke highly of him and his effort was very fitting.

You’re a sad loss to us all Dave.
May the Flatfish on the sands in Heaven be the sweetest of them all.
RIP Dave.

I can't think when I've been more upset about the passing of someone I've never met in the flesh than OMD. He was like a big brother I never met. Must have been amazing to have him as a real big brother.

Ditto. I still stumble upon posts by OMD from time-to-time* and forget for a few moments that he is no longer with us. But he is still with us, I often think about him, his stories & Mart's stories about him. I remember him as a maker of things as well as a spearo/fisherman of considerable experience (judging by those wonderful images**, even longer experience than I had imagined). An example to inspire us and aspire to. I miss him.

*Came across one of his posts that I hadn't seen before recently - still things to learn from Dave.
**We had masks like that as young children back in the late 60s, hard to believe they were used for spearfishing - compared to modern masks they were awful but they got a lot of people started. And he is using double bands too! A wetsuit would have been a big deal back then.

Great pictures Mart. I can never visit DB without thinking of him and I had a cider or two the other night in his honour. RIP Dave, gone but never forgotten !!

he once told me that he-s going to visit me...here... http://forums.deeperblue.com/fish-photos-regulations/70667-hunting-black-sea.html
he never did actually, but he wrote into my thread...and i'm nothing...and he wrote into my thread...
don't you think that annother title can be written bellow his forum name?
that offline sound so sad....:(

after three years nothing has changed...:(:(:(
so i have to renew my wish to change that status please
and i apollogize if reopening this thread i do hurt some feelings...that was not my intention:(, but OMD deserves more...

We have for a number of years put any members who have sadly left us to a status to Offline. It was designed as a non-contentious status for any members who have passed away - however I am open to suggestions.

Obviously this is a very personal thing and people's families will all have their own preferences which I don't want to step on, but for consistency across the forum and to avoid confusion about whether people are still with us or not could we have a standard format with a link to a tribute page?
For example we could have their user name, followed by dates of life, followed by a link to a page written by family or friends paying tribute to the person. In this way new forum users who didn't know a great man such as OMD will immediately understand that he is no longer posting and also be able to find out about him.

Reactions: Spaniard
I read the thread every so often...

Although it saddens me to the extreme I have to celebrate a fellow waterman's life... it provides me with enlightened understanding of my own life cycle.

Three & a half years now!
It would of been Daves sixty second birthday two days ago & he would of been retied for two years!
He worked as a teacher all his life, professionally & on the forums, it was an untimely death but his soul is embedded in many of his students forever.
His boat, 'Spearfish' is still a locale sight & is now moored out in deep water at Cobo bay - I like this as it reminds folk of Dave :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT