• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Man Dave - sad news.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A friend has kindly sent me this pic of me & Dave, it was taken only a few days before he died.
We had the family around to my house for an evening meal & some music. Dave was happily singing "Whiskey in the jar" & even though he could barely walk he was positive & smiling ...nice pic I thought.
Excellent choice of song ;)

My favourite version:

Wonderful pic, he looks so well, hard to believe he was so ill. It still feels like he is with us.

I went to a funeral yesterday. A family friend I've known all my life, given 3 months to live in the end lasted only 6 weeks :( - he too looked remarkably fit and well.

Last edited by a moderator:
One I know you know..[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EXY4oP1Do]YouTube - ‪The Dubliners - Whiskey in the jar‬‏[/ame]

Don

Hard to believe that a whole year has passed by since this sad day. Deeper Blue really isn't the same without Dave :(

Last edited:
Reactions: podge
Has it really been a year!!!
Dave we remember, and you'll always be the flatfish King of Deeper Blue to me mate.

RIP

Reactions: spaghetti
It doesn't seem that long does it. Still feels like he is here. I guess he always will be - I still occasionally stumble upon one of his posts that I haven't seen before or had forgotten.

A family friend passed away on Sat., I heard the ambulance go down the village. He'd had a number of very serious (normally fatal) illnesses in recent years but was still working the day he died, aged 79 (he was a farmer).

We still miss you Dave. We always will.

We still miss you Dave. We always will.

Dave was and is a true legend to me. He had more love and passion for our way of life than anyone Ive ever known. Tonight I will raise a glass to OMD who is never far from my thoughts

Mart, love and strength to and your family.

Reactions: spaghetti
After life on earth, the good men like Dave go to Heaven.
He must be up there right now, sharing fish stories with St. Peter.

My prayers to the good souls of Dave and Derek, my thoughts to Mart.

Found this, and Dave came to mind:

Attachments

• holy.jpg
    holy.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 264
Reactions: Mr. X and podge
Still very much missed. Its great to see the comp in his name and some of the threads where his thoughts still pop up.

After life on earth, the good men like Dave go to Heaven.
He must be up there right now, sharing fish stories with St. Peter.

I can almost hear Dave shouting across to St Peter, Oi I don’t care what yer name is you ain’t walking on water while I’m fishing…rofl

Well i reckon it would have made Dave smile:)

Reactions: Mr. X
A sad anniversary indeed but OMD is always with us here on the forum along with his brother Derek - we can read their past posts and still learn from their wisdom, especially Dave as Derek had a keener eye for the irreverant and funny rofl. I sincerely hope there is a budding Foxen spearo waiting to join us!!!!! Apart from Foxy of course....

Two years ago today my brother Dave died, I still find this hard to deal with but here are a couple of pictures of OMD in his younger days....

dia_0151-1.jpg

dia_0165.jpg

dia_0154.jpg

Me and Dave after my other brother Derek had had some fun dressing us up just for a laugh

dia_0168.jpg

Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

The actions you take resonate through all time, in the hearts and minds of those you loved and those they go on to share the love you gave them with.

Gone, but never forgotten. A good heart can never die.

Reactions: azapa
great pics, I'd love to have been having fun like that at such a young age!
Was that your dad in the second pic? Was he a diver too?

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT