• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Man Dave - sad news.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Glad it's still in the island. I would be smiling down if it were my boat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Happy to read she is staying on her home islands of Guernsey.
All the best to ya Mart.

Cheers, Don

I have some new software for stitching panorama photographs, yesterday lunchtime I went down to the harbour to take some photos to stitch.

When I was processing them this morning I noticed that there dried out along the wall was Spearfish.

Whenever I drive along the coast I half expect to see that familiar blue van parked up somewhere and wonder what he is doing there at that particular tide and looking forward to checking on here what he had caught.

Attachments

• pier17_0000.jpg
    pier17_0000.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Spearfish.jpg
    Spearfish.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 263
What has happened to the OMD blue van? I remember clearly sharing that van with Dave on my first Guernsey experience...I can still smell old wetsuits and fish :)

Reactions: spaghetti
Actually the van was quite new, about 31/2 years old & as Dave normally walked to work it had only done 9k miles, so it was sold very easily.
Funny thing is I have not seen it driving around at all, unless the number was changed?
I have been using his gun, snorkel & knife when I go diving but to be absolutely honest I am finding my diving very emotional, however I know Dave would be very disappointed with me if I stopped going....
Its the same with my gun building. Dave was always behind my projects not to mention the access to his works full on workshop. I find it so frustrating not being able to contact him but again I know he would want me to carry on.
Of course Dave also supplied me with loads of beautiful flatfish that I cooked & we shared as a family, very often several times a week.
I have quite a few pictures of Dave (& Derek) in his early years & I have started (many times) trying to write a little about his spearfishing history, unfortunately I will need some more time to get it all together.
One of Daves previous school pupils is building a "Dave Foxen memorial trophy" to be awarded as a junior fishing competition prize which is nice.

Sad news RIP OMD, and good news my friend, the spirit of life is the will to carry on.

I'm sure that I share a similar view to many others here - it would be wonderful to hear about OMD and Derek's spearfishing exploits!!! I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is for you to put into words all the exploits that Dave and Derek enjoyed over the years but I can't wait to read the results whenever you are ready mate. Both your brothers will always be remembered here and I take great pleasure re-reading their old posts on DB! :)

Reactions: foxfish
I'm so sorry to hear about Dave and Derek. :(
The 'Dave Foxen Memorial Trophy' is a great idea, I hope more people on Guernsey are inspired to enjoy diving as much as they did.

Reactions: foxfish
A friend has kindly sent me this pic of me & Dave, it was taken only a few days before he died.
We had the family around to my house for an evening meal & some music. Dave was happily singing "Whiskey in the jar" & even though he could barely walk he was positive & smiling ...nice pic I thought.

Attachments

• bro.JPG
    bro.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 269
i never knew this man, but it looks to me that a great spirit of joy and wisdom has gone with him...
may he be well where all of us will go in the end :)

That is a good point Vali, i'd not thought about it before but 'offline' doesn't do justice to any departed friends here, unfortunately there are a few. Perhaps we can think of a more appropriate message as I am sure that OMD and other departed friends are not offfline but in a different place watching us and still part of us. What do people think? :)

Still feels strange not getting a ping every now and again from some one elder greater and wiser:(
although i do try and behave myself nowadays ;)
thinking of you martin rip mate

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT