• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Zero 3 Mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Morg

Georgian Bay Freediver
Jan 14, 2006
Hey all,

I got an email show casing some new products coming out at the Dema show. Noticed this awesome mask called the OMER Zero 3.

Anybody have any more information on this? I think this will be my next mask, going to retire the Alien after 6 years.

Thanks all,
Morgs

Zero-3-(cubed)-Mask.jpg

looks mean.

Omer says it will be available from Spring 2012.
Looks cool. Style is from MOMO Design (an established industrial design boutique, worked with Ferrari, Yamaha, Logitech, Motorola, Lancia et cetera et cetera et cetera. My wife's cell phone is designed by them...). :cool:

Last edited:
It looks like Batmans mask eh? haha.

Can't wait to order.. Might get two, one to instill fear into the opposing team in Underwater hockey :D.

More details of the Zero 3 Mask, plus the new snorkel Omer Slalom...

Attachments

• zero.jpg
    zero.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 434
  • zero1.jpg
    zero1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 330
Reactions: Mr. X and Kars
Hmmmm, not sure what to make of that snorkel. Do we think the shape will make any difference?

I was wondering the same. I don't usually use snorkels but even if I did I don't think I'd bother unless the new shape helps get rid of that annoying vibration that I'd get from Omer Zoom

"Snorkel designed to adhere perfectly to the fisherman’s head, to increase the hydrodynamics. The shape of the tube reduces, any protruding part, to facilitate the movements also in the caves without risk of pegging the snorkel to the rocks. Slalom geometries are designed to reduce the entry of water, when you are on the surface, even with rough sea.
The section of the tube is increased and designed to facilitate ventilation phases. The snorkel is made in two different materials and the terminal part is made in a softer thermoplastic material."

The above is what Omer says about the slalom.

More interesting is what they say about the Zero: that the internal volume is so low that if the Alien has to be compensated around 8-9m, you can take the Zero to 18m before compensating!

I would love to test the zero in my pool and see how the Field of view stacks up against the Sphera, the Micromask and others.

The only wish I have for the design is an aesthetic one, namely the ´evil ´face is has with the low pointing eyebrows. I think the ´evil face´ on products is getting a bit old, including the ones on cars etc.

I think the ´evil face´ on products is getting a bit old, including the ones on cars etc.

Wrong. With diminishing natural resources, collapsing economies, failing societies, fundamentalisms rising et cetera et cetera et cetera, the competition for survival is gonna be stiffer than ever. Evil face helps more than ever: scares away the pussies....:vangry

I think the ´evil face´ on products is getting a bit old, including the ones on cars etc.

Not to worry, I "read on the internet somewhere" that they're going to follow the mask up with one that has a nice friendly smiling clown face painted on it. Possibly.

The other dude - the one wearing a bat costume - in that movie used a creepy black mask, this one's appearance reflect his nature rather exact. ;) - Great movie in mine opinion.

From using it at DEMA, I would say the field of view on the Zero is almost as good as the Sphera. But it has the huge advantage of glass lenses and greater durability.

Reactions: spaghetti
From using it at DEMA, I would say the field of view on the Zero is almost as good as the Sphera. But it has the huge advantage of glass lenses and greater durability.

Did they give any indications about price?

More details of the Zero 3 Mask, plus the new snorkel Omer Slalom...
I'm so digging the shape of that snorkel :inlove Will it fit? Is it soft/flexible too I wonder...

Hmmmm, not sure what to make of that snorkel. Do we think the shape will make any difference?
Yes - that is exactly how a snorkel should be routed IMHO. I wonder if maybe it should be just a little longer (1-2cm). Perhaps with a cowled/shielded end to help keep out surprise waves without upsetting the normal purging blast. I guess all those bends might upset purging but not much.

The mask looks good but pretty 'ornary, hard to get excited about a mask... until you notice that vision chart - now I want one! (Pathetic sap consumer that I am!:D) Not sure about the woven carbon-fibre finish - might catch the eye of a fish -but same for a carbon speargun I guess. And it is a somewhat scale-like effect. Perhaps it would distract a target fish for a few millisecs?! :D

Time to update my Christmas list. :D

Last edited:
I am waiting for OMER dealers to start selling this mask. Not sure about snorkle. I take it out during the dive, so the shape doesn't really matter.

My Omer Zero 3 arrived today and here is my report:

Summary:
It is too wide for my face.... :(
I have to tighten it up significantly to get a seal on the sides of my face... there is a 3-5mm gap on each side if I just hold the mask up to my face. I can't hold it there with suction unless I press it on first to deform the silicone and put some curve in the frame.

However... I have a narrow face.
Having said that - I can normally get any mask to seal without jamming the frame into my face.

Eg. The Sphera and Micromask are technically a bit wider than ideal for my face... but they still work / seal just fine. The most similar mask to the Omer Zero in terms of size / lack of fit on my narrow face is the Cressi Pinnocchio. It is also wide and needs significant tension in the strap to keep water out for me.

I will compare the Zero 3 with my Sporasub Mystic, as this is my current fav mask that is closest to the Omer:

Overall:
Both masks are of the "modern" type of design and are actually quite similar. Both are EXCELLENT freediving masks.

The Omer is a sexy mask. The milling on the skirt looks like carbon fibre. The strap is a great design that spreads the load out across the back of the head. One REALLY great feature of the strap is the texture / grooves on the inside of parts of the strap - this is to reduce strap slipping - a REALLY nice touch that shows how well the mask is engineered and how much work was put into it.

Skirt / Silicone:
The Omer has thinner silicone and there is less of a "skirt" with the Omer. I think that the more generous and more pliable silicone on the Sporasub may allow for it to fit a larger range of faces.

Field of view:
Omer is better in the top corners of the mask (10:30 and 1:30 positions) as well as downward visibility, but the Sporasub is actually better at the 12:00 position and 3:00 / 9:00.

Volume:
On my face - they are very close - but I think the Sporasub has less volume when completely compressed onto my face. The top corners of the Omer mask really add to the volume (but add visibility).

Frame:
The frame of the Omer is a thin piece of hard plastic that is the majority of the structure of the mask. It is very rigid and very well made. I just wish it was more of a "V" to it, instead of being straight, so that it fit my narrow face better.

When tightened, it can be felt on the brow ridge, as there is not a lot of silicone "padding" on the top-edge of the mask skirt. This might be different for those with a wider face that distributed the load in a more even fashion.

Compressability:
This is difficult for me to say, but I think that the Sporasub is more compressable, just because of the amount of compliant silicone in the skirt / seal. This would be best determined by someone with a larger face than me, to get an accurate assessment however.

Conclusion:
This mask has all of the characteristics of a great freediving mask - but for me... I would need to put too much tension into the strap to get it to seal and thus hurt the overall compressability of the mask for depth. Personally I am better off sticking with my Sporasub for depth work... but it just might be the ticket for all of you moon-faced freedivers, UWH and UWR'ers!

I think it will fit someone with a "normal" face well and exceptionally for someone with a large head / wide face.

We will see in a few hrs when I take it to the pool for a test-fitting on myself... and then on some of the other Freedive Toronto melon-heads. :D

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT