• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

PETS: wot you got?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My aquarium has become a bleak place to live at, and I can't explain why. The Betta Splendens (named Rocky) is dead. My dear old Bothia (named "Tigro") looks like he has lost any joy of life and keeps hiding all the time inside his hole. The Neons looke bored and much less active than in the past. The Leopard Pleco is growing FAT, and I mean FAT (20 centimeters long: he was 6 cm when I got it).
There is no motion of fish inside, they all seem plastered in boredome. Environment conditions (temperature, current, plants, food) haven't changed at all since the good ole times when the fish looked more active, so I can't explain why it's going this way.
What can I do? Add newcomers? Get ready to release them in the lake next summer? Sashimi?

Last edited:
You need to perform regular water changes, 20% a week is normal but you must use good water. If you love your fish you need to buy a water purifier to treat the tap water before you use it in your tank.

Reactions: fleshy
You need to perform regular water changes, 20% a week is normal but you must use good water. If you love your fish you need to buy a water purifier to treat the tap water before you use it in your tank.

Thanks Mart, and yes, of course I love my fish.
Until a couple weeks ago I have been using a mix of micro-filtered water I buy from the pet shop mixed with natural, plancton rich, low phosphate and fish friendly water I get from the lake. I was advised to do so by pet shop owner ever since I bought the tank 5 years ago.
The water of the lake is periodically tested by local health authorities with a report every 15 days. But I'm afraid that the above average rainy season has caused some occasional leaking from the sanitation network (unmentioned by official reports). I suspect this might be the cause and I'm now solely using the micro-filtered water...

I was wondering though if my fish has simply grown old: question is wether their sharp change in behaviour might depend on their age rather than on environment...

If you have a test kit I suggest you test for nitrite & nitrate in your tank, test kits have quite a short shelf life so check out the sell by date.

Reactions: spaghetti
When I had aquariums I'd occassionally buy some brine shrimp eggs, hatch them and dump them in the tank. The fish woke up fast and became true predators! Maybe that would be a nice change from eating dried flakes.... let them hunt!

Me i've got a baby Jungle Python thats about it, on the look out for a Golden retriever.

DD

Me i've got a baby Jungle Python thats about it, on the look out for a Golden retriever.

DD

You heartless ba*tard :naughty , feeding Golden Retrievers to a Python , shame on you ! ( there are two cats which crap in my garden , you can have those instead ) :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!! hes a little small to be eating goldan retrievers, but the second hes big enough for those cats i'll send you a PM ;)

hes only about 30cm long at the moment. Retriever is for my better half to keep her company when i'm away diving! (that was the agreement so thats whats happening)

I own several aquariums. My favorite by far is my 75 gallon reef aquarium. This is the most recent picture, where Im having a calurpera outbreak. Shows off some inverts and fish fairly well in the picture though. The other picture is my mom sitting on our couch holding my cat (Graybarr) and MY dog Tank. (If you cant tell why he has this name based on the picture, god help you. :D We have 5 other dogs that are not mine, from a malteese, all the way up to tank, every size group is represented. We have a large number of barn cats, the most recent are Graybarr, and Pyro the Panther who I found while fishing down by the river. He was only a kitten and in miserable condition, I think the owners had probably drowned a litter. :rcard We also own horses, as my family used to breed arabians for a livelihood (21 horses at our peak), now we have four. There are always random animals around my house because my mom is a "Animal Rescue Volunteer". So there is never a shortage of random small wild animals around here. Most notable would be the three hawks weve had over the years, and the one time a lady called for us to get a baby bison. Ive had pretty much every kind of pet you can have living here in north america.

Attachments

• close.jpg
    close.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF1806.jpg
    DSCF1806.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 179
I love marine tanks ever though they can be a commitment!
Here is my pet SLUG tank! well is was going to house poison dart frogs but they are not allowed to be imported into Guernsey :head so instead I have about 1000 slugs eating all my collection of Amazonian plants :vangry

Attachments

• P1040460.JPG
    P1040460.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 166
  • P1040456.JPG
    P1040456.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: island_sands
The latest family additions!

Attachments

• P1040734.JPG
    P1040734.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 187
  • P1040739.JPG
    P1040739.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 165
  • P1040741.JPG
    P1040741.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: Erik
we're babysitting this little fella for 2 weeks while its owners are on holiday. He's only 9 weeks old.

Dave

Attachments

• IM000384.jpg
    IM000384.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Percy.JPG
    Percy.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Cute Foxy are ye going wabbiting?

Fergus, they are just house pets I wont be using them for hunting.
Here is a pic of the boy when he was 3 weeks old & one when he was 10 weeks!!

Attachments

• P1040612.JPG
    P1040612.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 170
  • P1040744.JPG
    P1040744.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: agbiv
Ferrets are awesome! Used to have one

My latest pet was a Seagull. He was great untill he started beating up the dogs. It later decided to live with it's own kind. I didn't mind at all. He was getting rather loud out there on the front of the boat :) Great bird anyways.

m2fmn2yyyjhjnzbmnme1ntdmnmnhyta0nzyzywzkoge.jpg
ztnhntqwmdhhmtgwmmrkyjg3nwzinzkwntq4ogy4zmy.jpg

Reactions: foxfish
well i am a dog lover :) i also love the Croc...but is annoying he is always trying to eat me :martialjust kidding the photo of the Croco was taken in my last trip to South Africa.

Cheers,
Marco

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT