• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Possible new gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Foxfish, how many bands and what shaft, how long approximately ?
Cheers, Don

Don, Dane suggested this ....
if you were really nice you could make a Euro blue water gun ( a nice alround reef and small open water gun for Australia )

130cm band pull and 2x 16mm or 2x 18mm witha 7.1 or 7.5 finned shaft.

something that will through a Rob Allen 7.5mm mini tabbed shaft of around 1.8m would be perfect!

I guess I am really nice then!

Instead of a " + " shape for the carbon fiber backbone, what about an " X " shape? That way, the rail or track can be housed in wood, and need not be integral to the CF backbone. I would have to do the math, but I don't think you will sacrifice significant strength. And most of the things that go into a gun are installed on the centerline (trigger mech, handle, line anchor, etc.), so it might be easier if there wasn't a vertical CF member.

. . . Unless you just want it that way. :D

Most of this is way above me, and i have never built a gun, too many rocks around here to smash it on. but one point X vs + is the profile it can have to cross currents (they are wrist snapping here).

With an + you could nicely curve in the 4 wooden "cheeks" to offer some nice current cutting edges. WIth the X you would not be able to. I do see the problem mounting the trigger mech centrally though the + though.

Great stuff, I feel like i'm building it with you Foxy, hand me the sandpaper please.

Well as this is a real time build with only a rough plan to follow things can change just like that!
The CF cloth is no longer red as ordered because they are out of stock so to avoid any further delays, standard black cloth is in the post.
I also have to admit that a slight change in design might take place but as I am making up the plan as I (we) go so dont be surprised.
Anyhow I really need that trigger because if the backbone is to incorporate the unit I cant go very far without it.
I was hopeful of striking a deal on the benthos but it seems I dont carry enough clout for that so it looks like a $150 trigger.

i can't wait to see hoy you hand lay up the carbon fibre cloth. I have worked with regular fibre glass but imagine the CF's structured weave to be much harder to work with. Do you use regular resin and hardeners? Will you be making the CF sections in a mold or 'a cappella'?

This gun I built has 7075 1'' foam filled core and has handled 700 lbs of rubber. How about a CF square tube as the heart? 130cm and only 250 lbs of rubber is something a strong light wood with two laments can handle.
I like CF for parts that need to be strong and light. If the barrel is too light, wt
will be needed to trim unless one is using water ballast.
Cheers, Don

Attachments

• D trouble.jpg
    D trouble.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
At this rate you might as well build yourself a mold and make a 1 piece carbon fibre monocoque gun, vacuum bag it!

Come on joe that would be far to easy!
Good point Don.
Here are a few pics of the refined model, I have marked out how the frame will flow around the trigger.
Yes I will be using a former for the frame & a mould to finally encase the gun.
I will be starting the mould this weekend.

Attachments

• P1000693.jpg
    P1000693.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 151
  • P1000685.jpg
    P1000685.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Reactions: azapa and Spear0Joe
Not sure if you noticed Mart, but there are ferrets running around your house!

Do you plan to machine/route a spear guide in the top of the + ? last time i tried to cut CF it was very hard..

Az, I have a cunning plan - I hope to set a waxed 8mm polished stainless rod (a spear) into the mould to act as a rail.

glad to see your ferrets approve! their clever little creatures so you must be on the right track! hahahahah

looks great mate, how far from the trigger to the rear of the stock?

still cant over the fact that the the rough smaple unit you have made looks better than most of the full house builds i have seen here in australia! classic.

very excited to continue to see it come together.

so if i'm under standing you correctly from the entry to the mechanism up too the first rubber is going to be 130cm? if so thats GREATTTTTTT.

Don its funny how guns vary from continent to continent for basically the same species, double 16mm rubbered railgun account for probably 70% of the australian market, and these in 1.3m and 1.4m barrel lengths throwing 1.8m to 1.9m spears account for more Mackerel, Wahoo, Mulloway (you white seabass) than anything else with fish sizing ranging from as small as 1-2kg through to large wahoo mackeral and Mulloway well over 30-40kg.

and yes all of this is easily achieved with 2x 16mm powerbands and a 7-7.5mm spring steel shaft with tricut head and bottom mounted flopper.

very few people here find the need for 3 or more rubbers for anything other than LARGE tune such and DOG tooth or yellowfin and of course MArlin.... saying that our AUstralian record yellowfin of 60+kg was landed with a double rubber railgun. and more than a couple of Marlin have been taken with railguns in the past couple of years.

so i find it hard to grasp when you see guys using large gun such as Riffe Baja etc with multirubber setups and heavy shaft to shoot JACK, seabass, etc. i know it works but personally think its overkill....

on the flip side when i talk to my counterparts inItaly etc, they find what we use over here to be overkill and are more than happy to wait a bit longer and swim a bit closer before shooting stupidly big fish with tiny little guns, but mark my words it works!

DD

Az, I have a cunning plan - I hope to set a waxed 8mm polished stainless rod (a spear) into the mould to act as a rail.

thats a great idea, i thought of something like that once, i am interested to hear if it works. i was thinking of putting a delrin rod, pouring the mold, then cutting a track in the rod. what you are saying sounds easier.

. . . i was thinking of putting a delrin rod, pouring the mold, then cutting a track in the rod . . .

Cutting the track through the Delrin rod is not a good approach, unless the Delrin rod is mechanically keyed into the CF, because the composite won't stick to the Delrin and it will later fall out. But using the Delrin rod to form the composite around, and then removing it entirely works well, as long as the remaining composite shape is one that you can hold in a mill or router to accurately cut the track.

The white in the last picture is wax, which was used to define the shape and later melted out.

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: Don Paul
Don its funny how guns vary from continent to continent for basically the same species, double 16mm rubbered railgun account for probably 70% of the australian market, and these in 1.3m and 1.4m barrel lengths throwing 1.8m to 1.9m spears account for more Mackerel, Wahoo, Mulloway (you white seabass) than anything else with fish sizing ranging from as small as 1-2kg through to large wahoo mackeral and Mulloway well over 30-40kg. Quote: Diving Dane

I agree with you, I only used 4 bands when I was stalking very large Black Marlin. I dive a spot 100 miles off shore that can have record sized fish.
I normally hunt blue water with 3 bands cocked on my top shaft and 1 band on my bottom shaft.

A lot of the 25 to 40lb fish I try to head shoot with my small lower shaft.

I just mentioned my gun to illustrate that Mil spec 7075 1 inch square tube
can be made very stiff with the addition of bonded wood exterior skin.

Cheers, Don

Don its funny how guns vary from continent to continent for basically the same species, double 16mm rubbered railgun account for probably 70% of the australian market, and these in 1.3m and 1.4m barrel lengths throwing 1.8m to 1.9m spears account for more Mackerel, Wahoo, Mulloway (you white seabass) than anything else with fish sizing ranging from as small as 1-2kg through to large wahoo mackeral and Mulloway well over 30-40kg. Quote: Diving Dane

I agree with you, I only used 4 bands when I was stalking very large Black Marlin. I dive a spot 100 miles off shore that can have record sized fish.
I normally hunt blue water with 3 bands cocked on my top shaft and 1 band on my bottom shaft.

A lot of the 25 to 40lb fish I try to head shoot with my small lower shaft.

I just mentioned my gun to illustrate that Mil spec 7075 1 inch square tube
can be made very stiff with the addition of bonded wood exterior skin.

Cheers, Don

could i see pics of that gun? i want to make a 2 shot gun. i got a trigger from josh to make 1 i just cant decide on the size of each spear.

you devil, perfect idea, make sure the rod is nice and straight :martial

could i see pics of that gun? i want to make a 2 shot gun. i got a trigger from josh to make 1 i just cant decide on the size of each spear.

I'll post one in another thread so I don't mess up Foxfish's build. I'll PM
you Fri.
Cheers, Don

cant wait till you actually start building this will be a great thread to follow

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT