• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Potential speafishing ban in South Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I got an open invitation to stay on the coast of Carmarthen Bay last week (short walk to the beach:))...better take that up before the fishing ban comes in.

Email Sent. Hope it helps!

It really is ridiculous to even suggest this by-law. :rcard

For the meantime, happy spearing to all!! :friday

Pete.

Copy of my sent email

I OBJECT TO THE INTRODUCTION OF A BY-LAW BANNING THE SPEARING OF FISH.

As a UK diver with over 40 years experience as a spearfisherman I can say with authority that

Spearfishing is the most environmentally friendly way of catching fish to eat

Spearfishing has never been shown to cause overfishing or depletion of stocks.

Where restrictions have been placed on spearfishing this has always been brought about by the vindictive actions of ignorant people who have a vested interest in banning all other fishing methods EXCEPT THEIR OWN.

Please do not be swayed or pressured by such groups. Base your decision on facts. I assure you the facts do not support a ban.

Reactions: dave and Spaniard
Very good point about the vested interests Dave.
What I find amazing is that the ban was suggested by an angler, who thinks flounder spiking is cruel:head I have come across this attitude several times, catch and release anglers who think that anyone who kills a fish is evil (completely ignoring the 10%ish mortality rate amongst released fish) Once all this has blown over I will probably make a freedom of information request to find out who it was, and suggest to the Minister that they are educated about the purposes, powers and responsibilities of a Sea Fisheries Committee
Another nice piece of hypocrisy comes from the BSAC. I spoke to the technical manager who made the statement quoted earlier in the thread. He seemed to think flattie bashing by scuba divers was not spearfishing and would not be covered by any ban! He also said that BSAC had no opinion on spearfishing by freedivers (as BSAC does not have a freediving training program), but objected to snorkelers doing it????????? He got a bit tongue tied when I asked what the difference between a snorkeler and a freediver was, and whether the fish cared anyway
The SWSFC meeting is this friday, so keep emailing those objections over!

cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

Thanks again for all those who have now sent e-mails in, all of the objections have been excellent. That said keep them coming.

'As part of the process of consultation that the SWSFC has to undertake formal objections have to be counted and reported. What you need to do is to e-mail the committee at SWSFC@aol.com (please copy your e-mail to kevinmannall@hotmail.co.uk so that I have a record of the objections sent.)'

Thanks to everyone Kev

Thanks again for all those who have now sent e-mails in, all of the objections have been excellent. That said keep them coming.

'As part of the process of consultation that the SWSFC has to undertake formal objections have to be counted and reported. What you need to do is to e-mail the committee at SWSFC@aol.com (please copy your e-mail to kevinmannall@hotmail.co.uk so that I have a record of the objections sent.)'

Thanks to everyone Kev

Thanks again today. Another batch of excellent objections sent to the SWSFC in the last 24 hours. In particular I would like to thank all London International Club members and Deeper Blue members who have made a great effort.

Thanks Kev

Very good point about the vested interests Dave.
What I find amazing is that the ban was suggested by an angler, who thinks flounder spiking is cruel:head I have come across this attitude several times, catch and release anglers who think that anyone who kills a fish is evil (completely ignoring the 10%ish mortality rate amongst released fish)...
People in glass houses: Live baiting, dead baiting, worm threading, hooked maggots, priests, shellfish baits, hooked birds,... And just think about all those poor minnow, sandeels, small bass/mullet/pollock/mackeral/..., mussels and soft shell crabs we're saving from being eaten alive. BTW I know somebody who is ethically opposed to catch-and-release on the basis that it is inflicts cruelty/pain unnecessarily, wastes of effort/fuel/energy/time, encourages unhealthy and unsustainable fish farming (...and its not me!). Try explaining catch-and-release to somebody unfamiliar with fishing and watch their reaction (incredulity) -- quite entertaining:D.

The SWSFC meeting is this friday, so keep emailing those objections over!

How many emails have been sent? Has everybody here sent one? If it starts in one area it will be nationwide in no time.

All done. Lets hope they listen............
Am off to west wales tommorow and would hate to think this would be my last season down there...........

Dave

Any more for any more! The committee meeting is tomorrow! last chance to have your feelings heard.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT