• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Vuoto 75. Tips and tricks before using

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Amazing old ad!
Were those old pumps of bigger inner bore? Somehow in that pic, the pump looks beefier than the ones I have. If I recall correctly the Mares, Seac, Salvi of today are 10mm inner bore but perhaps people were tougher back then;-).
Yes, the "Magnum" hand pump is larger than the "Mares" style pump that is used today. Remember that Scubapro were looking to differentiate their product line and the USA was their chief market, so everything had to be beefier and better and also a larger bore pump produced a shorter pumping time.
Sten Magnum SL R.jpg
pump handles R.jpg
pumps R.jpg

Reactions: Diving Gecko
I haven't been in the water with the gun yet. Is there any way I can check if the gun is pumped up to maximum ?

I guess to see the exact pressure, I need to buy a gauge and screw in the back end of the speargun?

I haven't been in the water with the gun yet. Is there any way I can check if the gun is pumped up to maximum ?

I guess to see the exact pressure, I need to buy a gauge and screw in the back end of the speargun?
If it has the factory pressure then it will not be pumped up to the maximum, most likely it will be at 20 to 25 atm. The maximum pressure is 30 atm, but better to use it "as is" in order to perfect your loading technique, only then think about pumping it up. Section 5.3 of the handbook tells you the number of pump strokes to obtain a certain level of pressure in the gun, the table assumes that you start off from empty. A quick way to check a new gun on land is to place it vertically with the butt on your foot close in to your ankle, fill the muzzle up with water from a jug (not much water is required) and then insert the spear into the muzzle. Use the loader to push the shaft into the gun and you will feel how much effort is required. Don't actually latch the gun or you will have a potentially dangerous situation. If you do latch the gun then immediately press the speartip against a wooden block placed on the ground, put all your body weight onto the rear end of the gun and slowly squeeze the trigger while resisting the gun coming up with your weight. This allows a controlled discharge of the gun and is the only safe way of doing it. Never fire the gun on land with or without the spear in the gun, not only is such an act very dangerous there is the real prospect of smashing the plastic piston and shock absorbing anvil.

Good to know. Thanks for the tips.
But it's still possible to insert a gauge in the gun right? It would be nice to be able to check the pressure. That way it's easier to detect if the gun is leaking and seeing the exact pressure.
That is possible right, just buying the right gauge with the right "screw" ? Sorry don't know the right word for the "screw".

Can't you just buy the gauge that fits in the gun, then screw it in before or after it's pumped up, and then it should show the proper pressure in the gun? That way you don't need alot of stuff to do the trick, just the gauge.

Like when you fill air in the tires of a car, it will show you the tire pressure even though it's not connected to an airhose. It's not important right now, so I'll figure something out along the way :)

Can't you just buy the gauge that fits in the gun, then screw it in before or after it's pumped up, and then it should show the proper pressure in the gun? That way you don't need alot of stuff to do the trick, just the gauge.

Like when you fill air in the tires of a car, it will show you the tire pressure even though it's not connected to an airhose. It's not important right now, so I'll figure something out along the way :)
Those gadgets are expensive, price is AU$383, more than a speargun!
https://www.subprof.com/en/accessor...ing-pressure-for-pneumatic-spearguns-53169039
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/salvimar-vintair-pressure-gauge/136025738/p

Last edited:
244dk money ain't to bad. I was just thinking of taking a bar/psi gauge and making an adaptor that fits the gun at work .
I definitely want one of those

Hi! The gun is awesome, it's preety poweful. Some say it's hard to charge, and yes, it is, but that means you can do some serious hunting with it. It depends on how tall you are of course. I am 1,80 and my 100 toy is the max for my reach. If it's your first ever, let some air out. You can dry test, just remove the muzzle seal, and push the shaft in the barrel without charging it (Never put the shaft in dry with the seal in, you will ruin it). The trigger feels a little tricky at first, and the way the line releases, but you get used to it after a few shots. I used it out of the box, rinse it well after use, spray some lubricant where needed, that's it. You don't actually need a pressure gauge, you can just pump it to your needs. The aim sight is preety basic, but I'm fine with it. As for the shaft, I shot it against a rock from about 2 meters at full power, and nothing serious happened to it (not recommended!!!).

I was just looking at the "clearance" goods sale here, https://spearfishing.com.au/collections/sale-items and noted that a lot of pneumatic gun shafts are listed at reduced prices. While at the same site I spotted a "Vintair" advert and see that the guns are now back to the black and white color scheme of the Scubapro "Magnum".
https://spearfishing.com.au/collections/spearguns/products/salvimar-vintair-pneumatic-gun
View attachment 52403
I just noticed that the original color scheme "Vintair" 35 cm gun is selling out at $130, which is very cheap.
https://www.diversworld.com.au/products/brands/salvimar/salvimar-vintair-35/

It's a pity we can't make stickies in this forum - or can we?
No criticism of the OP, but we have had a fair share of "beginner threads" (I had one going some years ago, too).
But we have so much good advice, big and small, would make sense to try to "stick it" in one thread that oleo newbies could start with.
This is one of those recent threads - a lot of info in that one:
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/basic-equipment-spare-parts.108984/#post-967381

Exactly what i had in mind about the gauge.

Do you make extras for selling? :)
Sadly not... Still just too much of a hobby for me and rarely time enough. There's an easy, more rudimentary way of doing it that might just work.
Salvimar actually sells adapters for about 8 euros, it's the ones in Pete's pic from above. They have a female 1/4 thread but I can't recall if it's a straight thread or a tapered one. But you could possibly find a gauge with the same thread and then use some silicone when you attach it to the adapter.

[EDIT] The adapter is a G1/4 straight female thread, if my own post from way back when can be trusted:
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/scuba-tank-inflator-for-pneumatic-guns.104630/#post-951824

Last edited:
Yeah guess it's not the biggest problem to make or fins one of those. Thanks anyway :)

It's a pity we can't make stickies in this forum - or can we?
No criticism of the OP, but we have had a fair share of "beginner threads" (I had one going some years ago, too).
But we have so much good advice, big and small, would make sense to try to "stick it" in one thread that oleo newbies could start with.
This is one of those recent threads - a lot of info in that one:
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/basic-equipment-spare-parts.108984/#post-967381
There used to be a search function which enabled beginners to find out if what they wanted to know had already been discussed, but not many seem to use it.

There used to be a search function which enabled beginners to find out if what they wanted to know had already been discussed, but not many seem to use it.

It's still there but since the redesign, it's definitely less obvious - it's in the top bar to the right, next to the facebook button.
But yeah, it's true - many don't use it which is a pity since there really is a wealth of info here.
(BTW, a good trick,to limit your sear results, is to make sure you pick this sub forum to search in).

I am trying this company to see if they can supply a pressure gauge. First you have to register and create an account with them, but they don't tell you how!! I have sent them a message to see if this can be done reasonably easily. They must have a "Vintair" version, this particular gauge is for a Cressi gun. In fact they do as I have just added it.
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/salvimar-cressi-pressure-gauge/136025740/p
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/salvimar-vintair-pressure-gauge/136025738/p

Last edited:
I found a shop here in Denmark that sells them at a fair price. So now I just need to order one to check it out

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT