• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scuba fins vs. freedive fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by Amphibious
"Oh lil'cutie, can you help me stretch this out? just a sec, I'll move the potato...."

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

I could just see the look on that lifeguard's face when you ask her to touch your feet. :yack

:D

Last edited:
Correct placement...

...and remember those famous words of advice, "The potato goes in the front of the suit, not the back!"rofl

Reactions: Erik
I just bought a pair of Sporasub Desaults today and went out for about an hour and a half, just poking around nearshore in shallow water, sightseeing and exploring the bottom in water less than 6 feet deep. I've been wearing scuba fins all my life for free diving, snorkeling and scuba. I am amazed that the difference the Dessaults make for free diving/snorkeling! I can go a lot faster with less effort, and I can mosey along at pokey pace sightseeing with little effort. I think the foot pockets are a little uncomfortable - after an hour and a half I had some near blisters. I'm used to 3mm booties and open heel fins, so my feet may have a little trouble adjusting to any foot pocket. I think I'm going to go try a pair of Cressi 3000s - another local shop has them and I can return the Desaults if I like the Cressi's better. Anyhow, I'll never go back to short fins for snorkeling/free diving!

Fun stuff, huh? You've just made a great discovery. Enjoy those fins, as I know you will. (Btw, my first long fins were Sporasub H Dessaults, too).

:) Nothing like my gara 3000´s to scuba..once you have tried!!
The neoprene sox is another thing that makes everyhing much more comfortable...

I personally don't like using my Gara's for scuba diving.

When I am scuba diving, I like to dawdle and poke my head into places I probably shouldnt, or try to take pictures. In my freediving fins I find it difficult to scull and stabilize. Hanging upside down lowering my head to see under coral or in a wreck is too hard with long blades.

Great for diving in a current though. If you drift dive in southern florida you can grab the end of your freediving fins and use them like sails which can be GREAT fun. :)

The biggest drawback to scuba with freediving fins is using em on the boat. When freediving I just run and jump in the water and put them on there, no matter what the surf conditions. When I am loaded down with 80 pounds of scuba gear hobbling accross the slick, wet, heaving boat deck is difficult enough with short fins. With long fins its almost untenable. Also, after you ask the 10th person on the boat to "please step off my fin" it gets old.

I used to have a pair of really old sporosub freediving fins, got them secondhand. Later I had to replace the blades due to some cracks. The only blads I could get was about 2/3 the length of the origional. Since then I used these fins only for scuba (already had some esclapez fins for freediving). The slightly shorter lengh was pefect for scuba, still had the feeling of long fins, but it was not such a drag on the boat. sadly now the footpockets decided to retire.

I am also not 100% convinced which fins are best. Not all long fins are created equal, but certainly not all freedivers are created equal.

I am an underwater freediver-photographer, and I prefer shorted bladed (70cm), very flexible fins. The reasons?
- Much great agility (moving around model, fitting in tight spaces between rocks etc)
- Great constant speed while snorkling or freediving, albeit lower top-speed than my Cressi 3000's
- Much lower energy use with relaxed kicks at somewhat higher frequency
- Synchronize well with arm-strokes when going up or down while freediving.
- Very light = less energy expended.
- Don't kick up dust and sut as easy when working in 3-4 meter water depths

I probably differ from the hardcore freediver in that I am swimming around a lot looking for great locations, and hence having a "semi snorkling" fin that doesn't wear me out is a great advantage. I tried getting used to my LD3000's and honestly, they just give me extremely tired legs and make me feel a lot less speedy in the water ( besides that I feel that I am not maneuverable at all).

I have a feeling the Cressi Pro Star fins will be ideal for me and perhaps others who struggle with regular freediving fins. They are basically enlarged snorkling fins, not quite as large as real freediving fins and certainly not stiff (Which I really dislike in my LD3000's).

My $0.02

Reactions: Mr. X
I have Cressi Master Frog fins and rate them highly, they are fairly stiff and the main reason I like them is that they seem to transfer leg power into propulsion, I have tried using more flexible scuba fins for spearfishing in current and it felt like a lot of leg movement for not much propulsion. As well as matching the fins for the activity and conditions I think it is equally important to match the fins to the power your legs can generate. Its said a lot but its very true, the bike high and low gear comparison really does help when selecting fins, you just have to be honest about leg strength and endurance, no point having the most powerful fin out there if you cant get and keep it moving. ;) I also have Seac spearfishing fins and rate them as well, I seem to use the Cressi's more just for the convenience of being able to use diving boots, one less thing to think about and I struggle thinking as it is :D

I just got Fiberglass Leaderfins for scuba. 1st time using freediving fins. They worked great. They are soft but fast. My legs never got tired.

I scuba warm water only and my scuba rig is very streamlined. I was wondering if carbon fins would be worthwhile for scuba or if slightly stiffer fins would be beneficial for times when I need more power.

Hey BatRay,

Yes scuba and freediving fins are very different and you're right, more and more scuba divers are starting to use freediving fins. The main difference is that the blade in freediving fins is extended through the footpocket to allow for better energy transfer. You also see glass and carbon fibre freediving fins with a variety of rigidity. You can read a guide to freediving fins HERE with a list of all 91 freediving / spearfishing fins available.

I scuba warm water only and my scuba rig is very streamlined. I was wondering if carbon fins would be worthwhile for scuba or if slightly stiffer fins would be beneficial for times when I need more power.

Carbon fins are a bit fragile and I'm not sure the relatively small performance gain is worth it for scuba.

Carbon fins are a bit fragile and I'm not sure the relatively small performance gain is worth it for scuba.
I'll second that.

Even for freediving, I think FG is a better material than CF for fin blades. Of course, it needs to have a good design for the layup of the fin, and some fins just don't have that. IMO: the design is far more important than the material selection.

Jetfins...the one and only for scuba, Unmatched for power.
That's mostly just a scathing reflection of how subnormal and underachieving the scuba industry has become. Jetfins are over 50 years old.

The problem with the scuba industry is that they keep making new gear worse than the old gear. It's hard to say if the root of the problem resides within the manufacturers and developers, or if the new products simply reflect the retarded aspirations of bulk participants. Either way, it's a pathetic situation.

At least the freediving products are continuing to evolve and get better. Properly designed long blade fins WILL outperform Jetfins, but most scuba divers will never try or use them.

A significant barrier is that modern finning techniques for scuba have become optimized for the Jetfin, so anything else will not grade favorable against it without changing the criteria on which they are judged. These days, fins are not judged on efficiency and power, but on how well they can frogkick and backkick. One could argue that the performance goals of scuba fins has not just slowed down, it's gone backwards, literally.

That's mostly just a scathing reflection of how subnormal and underachieving the scuba industry has become. Jetfins are over 50 years old.

The problem with the scuba industry is that they keep making new gear worse than the old gear. It's hard to say if the root of the problem resides within the manufacturers and developers, or if the new products simply reflect the retarded aspirations of bulk participants. Either way, it's a pathetic situation.

At least the freediving products are continuing to evolve and get better. Properly designed long blade fins WILL outperform Jetfins, but most scuba divers will never try or use them.

A significant barrier is that modern finning techniques for scuba have become optimized for the Jetfin, so anything else will not grade favorable against it without changing the criteria on which they are judged. These days, fins are not judged on efficiency and power, but on how well they can frogkick and backkick. One could argue that the performance goals of scuba fins has not just slowed down, it's gone backwards, literally.

Are you subnormal or just held your breath a bit too long?

Jetfins are great for scuba. The market knows this, hence their success. They have a rich history and unmatched credentials way beyond the weekend warrior. I get it, you think your blades make you look real sexy. How is this an industry problem?

Nothing has yet outperformed those thigh and calf mounted hydrofoil twin blade from the mid 1940`s if I remember right. Of course they could be updated, forever a 1 trick pony. Lets see how a long fin of carbon/grp outperforms a lump of indestructible rubber with great ability for thrust, durability and maneuverability. Do not assume for one minute that a drysuit wearing cold water boat/tech diver with anything other than a sleek and sexy profile will fare better in a pair of blades/footpockets, because that is 100% grass fed plain and simple. You know this, I know this, so how exactly is this an industry problem with competition, patent/copyright and as you say "retarded aspirations of bulk participants" who may want, require, perform better in something other. Your opinion is blinkered, elitist, quite frankly repulsive (as I see it)

Don`t like them, take that mono fin off your head and buy something else. How is this an industry problem?

Seriously, have a good read of your above post and if you are lucky you might be able to identify just what prize breathholder would come out and insult a group they may very well wish for should one day they were to bring something a bit different, new/er to the market, for example.

Crikey, "aerospace" you are on wrong site and section, this is the site for goggle eyed, fish footed divers sucking rubber, not propeller beanie hat wearers.Trying to sell something are you?, an updated something maybe? given an overhaul, sexed up in new materials? looking for "retarded" "bulk participants" to buy into a dream of speed and power?The niche/gimmick market is full of this and a cursory view of a website is usually all that is required to separate the wheat from chaff by sheer quantity of prime grass fed BS and self aggrandizing.

Get over yourself with your continuing evolution of "freediving" gear, I am sure many folk practicing freediving would not wish to set themselves apart and at the bottom of a pool/bathtub waiting for an ego stroke for doing it when "look mummy I can hold my breath and swim is the sum total of freediving in reality. I am sure nobody has ever thought that breathhold and water are the "retarded aspirations of bulk participants" for those participants not out trying to fill the freezer. The Badjao and Ama are sure to be in awe of the whole circus. Changes with new materials and manufacturing process/techniques allow for some basic tweaks/changes/improvements in all diving equipment but there is no major game changer here for the mask/fin/snorkel concept and the rest is personal choice and preference.

Pathetic is correct.

There is a hell of a lot of great gear out there. 20 year old "squidfins" are great too.
How is that an industry problem?

LOL , Have a nice day xxxxxx

On a side, I went into a fishing shop after having not been in one for 30 something years recently to get some gear to dick about with. However did I manage to catch fish back then using a rod/reel/line/hook/worm. The crap I walk walked out with, rod/reel/line/hook/worm, paid loads too, all the latest greatest. Caught FA so far after half an hour so went spearing and shot four within a couple hours. Smoked em in ma smoker, beechwood, delicious

bought a new bike having not ridden one in 30 years a couple months back. how did I manage before. This new one that cost a small fortune and has all the bells and whistles imaginable including two wheels and brakes, fantastic. I got it cos it has fat tires and is grey, matches my hair. Its a bike!!!

Got a new car a month ago...

There is really no lack of amazing products in all sectors of industry diving included for all budgets. Its like being a kid in a sweet shop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimfin

Seriously matey, no matter how I read what appears to be the whining drivel you have written in response to "jetfins are great" I cannot relate to it in any way that is reasonable or rational. It reeks of arrogant ,elitist, ego driven nonsense. Maybe not a response you wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the whole scuba vs freediving thing, its a bit like the surfing vs bodyboarding thing, who cares as long as your in the water and having fun ;) With regards equipment i'm a bit of a half breed, I wear a Cressi spearfishing wetsuit, use a scuba Hollis M1 mask as I have never found a better mask, for my face and use scuba Cressi master frog fins for the convenience of wearing scuba boots and for their performance. For me its about using gear that gets the job done and meets my requirements. Horses for courses I guess!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT