• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sex

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Vince, you never cease to amaze me....there's hope for the future I believe, if there are more of you. Outstanding.
Nietzche was a very disturbed philosopher who had quite a following in the earlier part of the 20th Century. You know, neat guys like Goering, Hitler, etc. Like most philosophers, he had some good things to say, but we always have to look for the simpler message in what they say. He's worth reading some day, but remember that he died in an asylum!
Peter S, I totally agree with you. The only way to reduce exposure to advertising is to stop looking, which is why I chucked my TV out 2 years ago. The only way to fight offensive advertising is to recognise it and boycott the product offered. Money talks louder than ethics in our corporate world, so I don't "talk" back ;)
Cheers, Lochiem, Salud, Enshallah (what's the French equivalent?),
Erik Y.

sven weighs in...

OK, just so you don't think I was busy wiping off my hands...

To the common claim that Cliff used, "Sex sells", I say, "It doesn't if it makes me wonder what the Hell you're thinking I am." That's a cliche that shows nothing but ignorance and a lack of balls to do the right thing. You guys there at DB Corporate pull this stunt, I'm outta here and I'm taking more than a couple of avid members with me.

Longfins is correct in an oblique way that the ad works by getting us to comment about it. Trouble is that the majority of us are up in arms about it. I'm looking for a piece of gear right now, and I'll tell ya, they could GIVE IT to me, as in free and I'd pass. The head peons at Freediver have got to, or should be getting mail from their subscribers as well as reading this here at DB, wanting to be in the loop and all, and be going, "Oh shit..."

And kudos to Lynn for being articulate and female enough to let us know her thoughts. She sounds attractive w/o having to check for critters while in front of the lens...

I was going through a dive publication earlier and was thinking how the demonstration of gear has evolved and devolved over time and it seems that the genuine stuff hasn't had to resort to some gal flexing her rack.

sven

Re: sven weighs in...

Originally posted by icarus pacific
. She sounds attractive
sven

You're always working, aren't ya? ;)

Just kidding, amigos (and amigas). Sven I was wondering what you were pondering. It's easy to say "lighten up" in the face of years of being insulted, to the point where we don't realise we're being insulted. I almost prefer the guy that screams at me that he's "INSANE AND PRICES WILL NEVER BE THIS LOW AGAIN!!".
At least it's understood that he's lying, by him and us!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Re: Re: sven weighs in...

Originally posted by Erik

Sven I was wondering what you were pondering.

Aww c'mon... not the "What're you thinking..?:inlove line!

What I am getting at, is that the ad in no way interests me, and more importantly, doesn't make me want to go there, buy there and consider the site and the powers that be there, credible.

Going "Page three" with me doesn't cut it.

I just hope the girl got more from her exposure than my suits cum Photoshop pics! And Lynn, the handsome young buck in the suit is me, not Longfins, just in case you were wondering...

Much love Erik.

sven

Don't get me wrong on my original statement...

All I was trying to say is that based upon statistics - any male dominated activity or sport (let's face it - freediving is a made up mainly of men in the sport) will have a higher return of activity or sales off of an ad that features something like what is on their site.

Look at Car Magazines - they are a blatant example of what I am talking about.

I do not want or need this type of advertising to happen to our site or future activities or possible ventures we may get into.

I think we as a freedive community have an intellegent cross section of members who think with more than their manhood (sorry for the term used here), and I think that will make this site stand above the others in the future.

As I take on a more administrative role on top of being the Freediving Editor, I will be making sure that the integrity of the name DeeperBlue stands for professionalism and unbiased reporting on all aspects of freediving, not just AIDA, IAFD, FREE or whatever else.

BTW - I personally appreciate the quality of discussion on this thread - if you have ever taken a look at freediver uk's guest book, you can see what kind of adolescent discussions go on over there...

My $0.02 worth...

Cliff and Sven shake hands....you are agreeing with each other, methinks.
As for the quality of discussion, there is no comparison.
It would be nice to be able to have people like Rhonda, Lynn, Mandy-Rae, and others be involved without having to apologise to them for the few knuckle-draggers kicking around.
Erik Y.

i dearly hope that this isnt refering to my comment,
It would be nice to be able to have people like Rhonda, Lynn, Mandy-Rae, and others be involved without having to apologise to them for the few knuckle-draggers kicking around.

if it is speak and i will remove it,
it wasnt meant to be offensive, actually more of a compliment to them,

oh well, this is still one of the best threads in this forum

well enough alone, butt...

you've got admit though that the interest in Meghan's goings-on would be less if her attributes weren't so, uh Car magazine-like. I've got to think that Manny'd be selling Chiclets at airports if she didn't have the look that the TV and ad execs thought the public would go for.

Alright already! I'm done! :t

sven

Hey Vince, no, what I was saying was to reinforce your statement. I'm sure that most women, including the freediving ones, would want to be recognised for their dedication, courage, and ability, not what they look like in a wetsuit, whether they're attractive or not.
Ahhh, the limitations of binary communication strikes again. I admire you very much Vince, no worries.
Again, what is the French equivalent of "Cheers"?
Erik Y.

Originally posted by Cliff Etzel
Look at Car Magazines - they are a blatant example of what I am talking about.

Oh geez, don't even get me started on this one. I'm something of a car buff, but I won't even touch that smut disguised as automotive journalism. Its bad enough to be embarrassing! That industry panders to the immaturity of its audience -- and encourages it! The whole street racing scene is just terrible and waaay out of control. I can only hope that the diving community doesn't start to wander in that direction.

Well curiosity got the better of me and I followed the link provided (I think its a new disease brought on by the Internet -- "linkus followus compulsivenus"). That is a particuarly tasteless attempt, isn't it? Somebody should send their editor a link to this thread.

Last edited:
Oh that is too funny!

Oh, that hurts...

PS: Cliff beat me to it, so I'll just edit out my smilies or else I'll look like a lame "me too". :)

:cool:

Last edited:
I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank my late Mother, my Dad, the Academy, AA, the guys down at Ramon's, Raul that does my hair, you like me, you really like me!

That said... it's a long, dark and cold way to the bottom kiddies.

And I'll meet you there.

sven- DB's answer to sexual stereotyping

Sex Sells ?

Remember, that site is in Europe. Different style. If anyone on here gets a chance to see the International Commercial Awards it would put a whole new pespective on how advertising is done in print and on TV in Europe as opposed to our typically repressed view in North America.

From a photographers viewpoint I think the shots suck.

Ron

But Octo spits!

I don't suck.

sven

Jesus, I can't believe I'm actually going ot diving with these idiots... :head

Re: Sex Sells ?

Originally posted by Ron Brandt
Remember, that site is in Europe. Different style. If anyone on here gets a chance to see the International Commercial Awards it would put a whole new pespective on how advertising is done in print and on TV in Europe as opposed to our typically repressed view in North America.

From a photographers viewpoint I think the shots suck.

Ron

You do have a point, Ron. I think we forget that the internet has made the world a lot smaller. Many of us here in North America tend to have less tolerence for the degrading of women from the perpsective of being a sexual object. In Europe, nudity is viewed differently as well as sex.

Now whether one agree's with it or not is a personal matter. But I think where much of this discussion has been going is the fact that we as a society still seem to hold to certain stereotypes about women, and there are those who are wanting to break away from this mentality.

It is difficult to fight a system that is so well entrenced like advertising. My challange on this is the fact that there will be those who will actually make a purchase based upon those very images.

I myself have shot fashion type work in the past and it is a no brainer in regards to the skill needed to shoot it. I have seen amazing work shot with 110 camera's that were better than what Freediver UK has on their site.

It was one of the reasons why I got away from it and concentrated on editorial images that actually could be viewed and would move someone to think. You can see some of it on my website at http://clifcom.com/bw_imaging.html

Oh well, it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, I guess... :hmm

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT