• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharm Individual World Champs - Info & Updates

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: AIDA WC Website - Sharm 2007

31.10. CWT - F
1.11. CWT - M
2.11. CNF - F
3.11. CNF - M

I miss fresh informaits about WC. Does anybody know something useful (inlist, lanyard CNF,...)???

Jure

It's about time someone tells us will the lanyard be mandatory and if yes WHERE must it be located.

Thanks Chris! I think I may have found already a fitting flight, but perhabs there is a fitting returnflight cheaper than E 483,- ?

Ricky, the organisor, is trying to find me roommate for the hotel, but perhabs there is a volutair here who wants to safe E 150 through sharing a room as well?

Love, Courage and Water!

Kars

It's yust 20 days to go and nothing new. It starts to worry me. What does AIDA say about it? I hope we don't see the same story as last year.

Jure

Jep Jure, it is starting to look worrysome to me as well.
My email of 30 september is not awserd as of today Saturday 6 - October, though I have received a read confirmation (mail option).

It would be nice to see an (extencive) update on how the organisation is going. I doesn't need to be as perfect as the Slovenian Pool WC, but something that offers information giving some comfort to the athletes and Jurymembers.

Thanks,

Kars

Last edited:

OOPS!, mistake in the date of today ! Anyway it's now a week ago. Not that I expect a kind of Sandi speed - HE is VERY QUICK AND thorow in his awsers!!, but 3 - 4 days would be nice. Have they got a shortage in hands to get the job done?

Kars, maybe I can make you relax a bit about the organizing of the WC in Sharm. I have some experience with Apena-academy Red Sea over a few years now, and they are a very nice and well organized group of people. Ricky Mura and his team will definetly pull this event off in a satisfactory way. BUT, they are slow with their webpage and don't seem to pay so much attention to it. I think maybe this also is the case with the worlds.

Good luck to you and all the athletes and organizers in Sharm. Aida and the freediving community really needs and deserves a good and positive event in all respects. I cross my fingers for you all!

Erlend Breidal
Norway

Can anyone help?

I am trying to find more information about the comp (who is going, photos, etc)
The official site doesn't have too much there, is there anywhere else to look?

Re: Sharm Individual World Champs

Hi Dave,
Riccardo, who is responsible for updating the website, has been away for the last 10 days, but he returns today, so there should be some movement on this front. They have a large and efficient team organising the competition, and even in the July test-run (City of Peace Trophy comp) they had thought of every detail.
I am talking to Ricky this afternoon, so I will tell him to put up an athlete's list on the site. If you want photos of the venue then go to the Apnea Academy Egypt site.
Cheers, Will.

On a more constructive note, to avoid the lanyard tangling at the bottom, I dived with Peter P earlier this year and he has developed an ingenious system of threading his rope through a tennis ball (or something similar) and attaching this securely at the start of the 1.5m grap zone at the bottom. This ensures the lanyard can't fall to the bottom weight where it has a chance of tangling with the attachments down there. I thought it worked brilliantly.
x
S

Guys

A tennis ball wont avoid getting tangled with the lanyard at the bottom.
We ve been using this system here in Nice for a few years now and some precautions must be taken to avoid that problem...

- Once the rope is placed threw the ball, tape the ball properly to avoid having any little space between the ball and the rope. Start strapping the rope above the ball, keep strapping covering the ball and the ten centimeters of rope below that same ball.

- The lanyard and the mterials used are in most cases responsible of the incidents. Soft ropes are often used to make lanyards. The carabina sometimes surfs around the rope, turning around and around. If the rope, or the cable is not enouth rigid, it will follow the carabina and increase entanglement.

- Most incidents could also be avoided if freedivers could make better bottom turns. Many just end the descend hanging below the weight. ( by mistake or just to have one meter more on the D3 ) That increases your chances to get tangled. The lanyard should always be kept far away from the plate.

I am saying that because we ve had a little incident yesterday, with a tennisball on the rope, a rope far to soft, and an uncontrolled bottom turn.

F

Guys

A tennis ball wont avoid getting tangled with the lanyard at the bottom.
We ve been using this system here in Nice for a few years now and some precautions must be taken to avoid that problem...

F

Thanks for this tip. My lanyard got stuck over the knot at the bottom plate a few weeks ago. My quick release stuck too :( - it was a very looong minute until I broke free :(

Yep, it is pretty easy to get caught by a tennis ball with a nice freefall. First time when I got tangled I was capable to get my lanyard carabin halfway over the tennis ball, It is quite challenging to release it down there but with a little patience it looks like it is possible :)

- kimmo

Re: Athlete List World Championships Sharm 2007

I reluctantly have to say Daan Verhoeven is NOT participating.

Thanks for posting Jorg!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

What a depressing list - i'd give my left one to be able to go but alas t'was not meant to be this time round.

Hope everyone has a fantastic comp and a brilliant get together.

Cheers,
Ben

What a depressing list - i'd give my left one to be able to go but alas t'was not meant to be this time round.

Hope everyone has a fantastic comp and a brilliant get together.

Cheers,
Ben

Hey Ben - why is it a depressing list my friend? There are so many names in there that are worth buying a beer to on the closing party ... ME for example rofl.

And how come you are not coming? huh :confused: huh :confused:

And don't give me any excuses like " run out of money" or "cannot get time off work" or "they only have low alcohol beer in Egypt":naughty

I think the world demands BEN at worlds

Cheers Stavros

PS. I think I'll make a Tshirt out of it...
A BEN-free WCh
is like alcohol-free beer
flat and pointless

PS2. Did you know I am president of Ben's funclub? Ben the only freediver to improve his performances while on a strict beer drinking diet.:friday

PS3. I am not just writing this so that Ben will buy me a drink next time we meet.:t

By the way,

I ll bring around 40 Paradisia noseclips with me....just in case.
Will that be enouth ?

:)

PS2. Did you know I am president of Ben's funclub? Ben the only freediver to improve his performances while on a strict beer drinking diet.:friday
Actually - I did a study on the UK FreeDiving team during the 2004 Worlds in Vancouver. I found that static performances markedly increased after 12 hours of drinking and no sleep.

I'm intending on presenting it to the scientific community soon :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT