• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Skin for Dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think that before we choose the right wetsuit we need to consider which one will suit our technique best.

for instance, IMHO Orca suits (Free or Breathe) are better in DNF than B70 Nero. However this only apply for people who are swimming with slow-normal pace. In my case with Orca or full Elios 1,5mm I can go down to 2-2,5 strokes per length. In B70 Nero it's very difficult, usually I do 3-3,5 strokes.

Things change when You swim like F. Sessa or D. Zoretic. I mean for people who tends to swim faster and smoother, fastkins are better.

Reactions: aris ioannidis
What were those Alpha suits Will? 1mm or 2mm? Mine doesn't quite float my arms enough.

I think they were 2mm or 1.5mm, but yours has probably compressed to 0.7mm by now!

@Maui400: I forgot that about the Breathe! I don't have one myself, and haven't worn one in a while.

I used a RS1 for ever (amazing, has lasted 2 years of pool use) it is 1mm an compressed as hell. when moving to a Breathe I needed about 1.5Kg of extra weight. The extra inertia dropped me to 2 to 2.5strokes/25m from 3 to 3.5.

My PB is still with the RS1 though, the new feel and weight needed for the breathe will take a year to get used to, I think.

Has anyone heard of (or even tested) the ORCA TRN? The params sound rather promising and the price is awesome! I've seen it for 134€.
It is made from Yamamoto #39. If the suit is SCS coated, it could be even used for serious competition.

Has anyone heard of (or even tested) the ORCA TRN? The params sound rather promising and the price is awesome! I've seen it for 134€.
It is made from Yamamoto #39. If the suit is SCS coated, it could be even used for serious competition.

Same questions :)
Good price, good materials.

ok, Yamamoto seems to be used on the shoulder parts only. It still might be a good choice for freediving.

Ok, I just ordered the TRN for training. You can get it for about 100€ (incl. discount voucher) at wiggle.
I'll let you know about my experiences.

At wiggle they also have a Speedo Thinwim/Tri-Comp for 135€. Anyone tried this one already?

Maui400, for training use just normal swimming briefs...

For racing use high quality performance suits (FREE, Breath, Blueseventy, etc). Cheap stuff will not help you get better.

swimming briefs? What's that?

Sounds like you tested this "cheap stuff" already. Maybe you could give us some more detailed information about the suits.

swimming briefs? What's that?

Sounds like you tested this "cheap stuff" already. Maybe you could give us some more detailed information about the suits.

...swimming trunks.

Maui400 you have too many questions about equipment...instead go out there and train.

Calm down. If I have questions about equipment, it my own business.

About swimming trunks: I guess most of us use wetsuits during training in order not to get cold. And at least I don't like to spend a breathe or similar on training. I'll keep it for max performances.

Last edited:
When I started training a few years ago I could not swim 50M dnf with just speedos and a mask (no suit, no weight). I got the suit (a classic Orca RS1 that I still use all the time) and a bit of lead (2Kg) and suddenly the 50m was doable, Then it was doable again and again. Then I managed 75, and so on.

Now just with speedos and mask, and nearly empty lungs, I can do easy 50m DNF.

I really think the suit and weight, in all my training, helped me advance and bust through some otherwise too tough (for me) barriers.

YMMV.

I have one. Its great value of money. Keeps you warm and glide is almost same as Breathe. Cost are third of Breath. Very similar as RS1 was.

I have one. Its great value of money. Keeps you warm and glide is almost same as Breathe. Cost are third of Breath. Very similar as RS1 was.

Now that's good news! So I'm looking forward to get mine. But how did you compare the suits (strokes per lane, etc.)?
Does water enter in the back during DYN (mono)?

Last edited:
Now that's good news! So I'm looking forward to get mine. But how did you compare the suits (strokes per lane, etc.)?
Does water enter in the back during DYN (mono)?

Well, my DNF sucks so comparing different suits isn't very reliable.
No water entry in the back during DYN. Just make sure you pick right size.
Im 182cm/82kg and my suit is size 7.

Maui400, for training use just normal swimming briefs...

For racing use high quality performance suits (FREE, Breath, Blueseventy, etc). Cheap stuff will not help you get better.

On the contrary, cheap stuff can make someone better if using it specifically for training. I use this philosophy for quite a lot of my training in different parts of my life.

Then when I can, I move on to the better stuff, get use to it's new feel and bring forward any things learned with the 'cheap' stuff.

Ok, here's my first impression of the Orca TRN:
I wore it last night for the first time.
Fitting:
I am 185cm/71kg - very skinny for my size. I bought the suit in MT. The size is probably the best I can get for my body shape. Even though around my belly accumulates water entering from the seams. This is just an observation (concerning my body shape) and no quality problem of the suit.
But since water enters through the seams, it is not the warmest suit. But I guess the Breathe suit is about the same, since it is as thick as the TRN and has also open seams.
While swimming with my monofin water didn't enter through my neck - at least not noticeable.

The feeling of the suit is very good. I didn't feel restricted at all.
Glide is probably better with other, more expensive suits, but it is quite ok.

All in all, if your pool isn't that cold, I can highly recommend this suit for training or beginners. It is well manufactured and very reasonable (>100€).

good review! the breathe has glued (waterproof) joints everywhere apart from the shoulders and arms, very little water comes in, but it does feel cold as the rest of the body is so warm. I had thought to try to waterproof the through-stitched seams with wetsuit glue, Sika sealer, or even seam tape and an iron.

Does the TRN have all through-stitched seams or are some waterproof like the breathe?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT