• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sources for Mamba kit?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Ulysses, I have sent Ramon an email. His kits look to be better quality than Mamba. I was wondering why Maorisub didn't make the shaft and muzzel seals in two pieces that screw together to make one. The Kara-yo is exactly that. Now to wait and see if he can understand my english : )

TJ

Last edited:
OK Thanks for all your help. Ramon has sent me a catalogue and his kits are more economical than Mamba. I have a couple of questions if anybody can help:

1) Kara-yo and Tovarich kits don't replace the piston like the Mamba kits do. What is the reason for replacing the piston? Is it necessary?

2) Everything I have read says that the Tovarich kits are no good for hunting in caves or around rocks. I assume this is because the 3mm hole that must be drilled in the spear shaft weakens it to bend easily at that point. Is this correct? If that is the only reason, I think I can overcome this problem without too much difficulty.

Tovarich appears to be the simplest system, with no slider on the shaft to get damaged or create additional drag on the shaft. All 'O'ring seals are in the muzzle.

Cheers,
TJ

OK Thanks for all your help. Ramon has sent me a catalogue and his kits are more economical than Mamba. I have a couple of questions if anybody can help:

1) Kara-yo and Tovarich kits don't replace the piston like the Mamba kits do. What is the reason for replacing the piston? Is it necessary?

2) Everything I have read says that the Tovarich kits are no good for hunting in caves or around rocks. I assume this is because the 3mm hole that must be drilled in the spear shaft weakens it to bend easily at that point. Is this correct? If that is the only reason, I think I can overcome this problem without too much difficulty.

Tovarich appears to be the simplest system, with no slider on the shaft to get damaged or create additional drag on the shaft. All 'O'ring seals are in the muzzle.

Cheers,
TJ

I don't think that it is absolutely necessary to replace the piston. However, the piston must match the shaft end/butt. The drilling where the shaft is inserted varies according to gun model.

As regards the Tovarich system: When hunting fish in caves the line attachment on the Tovarich may provoke the shaft to get blocked much easier than when using a shaft slider. The same reasoning applies for band-powered guns used for cave hunting: it is recommendable to use the hole at very end of the shaft to facilitate shaft retrieval.

Hunting around rocks with Mamba or Kara-yo kitted airguns: Well, you better bring some spare shafts with you ;) Missing a fish and hitting a rock = shaft and/or shaft point destruction guaranteed; even more so on a Tovarich shaft (weak point at the drill-hole for the line attachment).

Cheers

Interesting, I have my own method - pic 1 shows that I cut the spear head off & threaded the end thus allowing the slider onto the spear.
Pic 2 shows detail of the weld that will hold back the slider.

Attachments

• P1030555(1).JPG
    P1030555(1).JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 241
  • P1030556(1).JPG
    P1030556(1).JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 333
Foxfish, interesting method. Doesn't the weld soften the temper of the shaft at that point or do you temper after welding? I am settled on purchasing the Tovarich kit, now just have to work out how to do international bank transfer (Ramon doesn't use paypal :confused: ).

I will set the shaft up with the line attached either in the replacable tip or in an adapter piece sort of like this:
Slim Slip Tips

I won't use a slip tip but this illustrates my thinking for line connection. I will use a low profile slide ring like the one shown with the line crimped on either side of it which will stop the slide ring near the back of the spear.

This system should be about as hydrodynamic as possible but I still have to work out if it's practical to do line connection this way or if I just drill a hole through the tip and loop the line through.

Does anyone know of a good source of economical but quality SS 7mm shafts. All I can find in Oz are around $85 each. Much cheaper from USA but usually imperial (won't work with Tovarich).

Cheers,
TJ

Last edited:
Called DiveImports and they don't sell any threaded SS shafts. Foxfish, where do you get those long tips from?

Cheers,
TJ

Last edited:
Yes I think the weld will weaken the spear but not as much as a hole?
I made the 7mm spear up from a long notched seac spear (Australian) -I have plenty of the like lying around my workshop.
Have look here Puntas

Called DiveImports and they don't sell any threaded SS shafts. Foxfish, where do you get those long tips from?

Cheers,
TJ

Sorry mate :(

I was just there yesterday and the guy behind the counter said that they sell the shafts in stainless steel. I cant imagine why he would say that, also i cant imagin why they would sell them with no thread :(

Once again sry for stuffing u around

Jamie, I think they do sell SS shafts but they are tahitian style without the threaded end. Sorry for the mixup.

Cheers,
TJ

Thats ok mate, but im still confused as when i asked about the shafts i said it was for the gun i just purchased and was still on the counter, which needs a threaded shaft.

I think these days it all depends on who u ask, some people just wont give you the time of day.

I will call past the shop tomorrow for you as i am working that way and see what they say in person.

Corsican, looks interesting. Had a rough go at google translation and it looks like the kit is designed to work with normal speargun muzzles (no changing it). Looks like you would use standard slide ring for line connection as well.

Still for me Tovarich is the go.

Cheers,
TJ

Last edited:
Onefish not sure if i mentioned on the other thread, But Diveimports do sell threaded SS shafts but only for asso guns size 90 and 115 :)

P.S. did u order your tovarich kit yet?

Thanks Jamie, I read your other post. My bank is 1000km from here so I'm still in the process of setting up an online account from which I can transfer funds internationally, nearly done.

Did you get the catalogue OK?

Cheers,
TJ

Yes got the catalog..cheers for that :)
Im sure i sent u an email back saying thx :p
Once you get the bank transfer sorted, things will get alot easier, but on the other hand your account will get smaller and smaller and smaller rofl

Is there anyone out there that has been able to get a Mamba kit or equivilent in the US? I have tried Dave at Spearo, Asturven in Texas, Enzo in Italy, Greekdiver in Florida, Scubazar, and X-Power. No one has replied to any of my emails!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT