• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sources for Mamba kit?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Is there anyone out there that has been able to get a Mamba kit or equivilent in the US? I have tried Dave at Spearo, Asturven in Texas, Enzo in Italy, Greekdiver in Florida, Scubazar, and X-Power. No one has replied to any of my emails!

Cousy,

I had the same problem then Ramon, who makes Tovarich and Kara-yo kits was very helpful. He's in Spain and I'm in Australia, can't imagine the USA would be a problem. His Kara-yo kit works similar to Mamba but appears to me to be better design and it's cheaper too.

Good luck!
TJ

Onefish,

How do I contact Ramon; do you know his email address? Does he make a kit for both 13 and 11 mm barrels? Thanks.

Cousy, just sent you a PM. Ramon makes the kits to order, you'd have to ask him but he probably makes what ever size you want. He is making mine 13x7.14mm to suit Cressi with 9/32" shafts (cheaper than 7mm).

Cheers,
TJ

Cousy and all others looking for a Mamba set up in U.S. I too have encountered a similiar situation...I just posted a thread in same section Mamba for dummies...to analyze the mech, and hopefully manufacturer a mamba system locally, since my line or work as an ID might facilitate the process..I'm hoping with the info gathered it will be do-able

Thank you, Onefish, I will need the same setup as yours. I use 9/32 shafts on all of my pneumatics with one exception; that gun has a 17/64th shaft.

Cousy, just emailed you the Kara-yo catalogue let me know if you don't get it.

Cheers,
TJ

Onefish, got your email and attachment, thank you so very much! I like the looks of this system because it really streamlines the shaft and prevents excessive damage to the prey when you are shooting at close range. Not to mention the fewer parts need to affix the shaft to the tag line.

The only things that is a concern to me is having the line attached at the front part of the shaft. I am wondering if it is going to affect the accuracy of the shaft down range. On the positive side; if you string a fish at close range that shaft is going to turn into the one big barb! I can't imagine how anything could break free from that.

Thanks again,
cousy

Cousy, valid concern about the accuracy. A friend put me onto this site:
AQUATECH Speargun which has some interesting data on the effects line attachment has on accuracy. You will note that the difference is quite significant at only two meters. I believe that there are a couple of ways to overcome the problem. I plan to use a very small slide ring like this alexander tube ring: slide_rings which will be fixed to my line with a crimp either side of the slide and set up to slip back near the rear of the shaft. The other way is create two loops in the line that slide along the spear positioning line pull from the rear of the spear. I have seen this on the internet but can't find the link now.

The little super low profile slide ring will have the least drag. I am assuming this will increase accuracy to similar as standard pneumatic setup but I will have to get it all together and test to be sure. Of course you could always get the Kara-yo or Karamba kits if you are worried. I think Kara-yo is better than Karamba as there is no orings on the outside of the slide to get damaged (they are in the muzzle). There isn't a picture in the catalogue but there are good pics of the Kara-yo hear: http://www.medfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2577&sid=9489621da5e666d373d8f80b2ae5beba (you'll have to join the forum to view).

Cheers,
TJ

Last edited:
Asturven is the official importer of the mamba sytem in America however my friend spaghetti has sent a mail to the Italian factory to enquire about the present situation.

Foxfish, thank you for the effort I greatly appreciated it.

Onefish, I understand the idea of using a second loop of string as slide for the Tovarich set up. It is quite ingenious; I wonder who came up with that idea. That set up would be completely silent and have the least amount of drag over any other slide set up that I have seen. I will check out those links as soon as I am done with this reply.

Greekdiver has the Tovarich set up on his gun and after watching some of his videos it does not appear that he has an accuracy problem with his gun. However since I like to shoot mostly goat fish while hoovering over their hole I require a very accurate set up that allows me to hit a narrow target from overhead. If the accuracy is not affected it should be a plus to have the line attached on the front of the shaft because when you hit a bigger fish you are less likely bend your shaft.

Thanks again,
cousy

It would appear to me that the idea of a 'double loop' on airgun shafts without slider - like on the Tovarich - has first been presented by SVL.

His webpages on airguns maintenance and modifications are getting better and better (great source of information for airgun veterans and newbies):

=> http://www.webalice.it/svl555/Sub/fucile.html

Cheers,
ulysses

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks Ulysess, that is the site I have seen previously. I just couldn't find it when I posted.

Cheers,
TJ

Asturven is the official importer of the mamba sytem in America however my friend spaghetti has sent a mail to the Italian factory to enquire about the present situation.
Sure. Reply from Maorisub came yesterday in my mail and I must say that, unfortunately, does not sound as particularily good news for our American friends.
Maorisub says they do NOT have an importer for the USA any longer.
You can buy directly from Italy sending a mail order to info@maorisub.it.
Shipping costs are...important, depending on weight of the parcels:
shipping to USA:
2 kg parcel 50 euro
3 kg parcel 55 euro
5 kg 65 euro
10 kg 100 euro.
Just FYI,
Spago

Reactions: settingsteel
Well it's been a while since I started this thread. Thought I better post and let you all know how it turned out. I now have nearly everything I need to pimp my gun. I have received my Tovarich kit and manometer from Ramon (very good to deal with), have recieved the 7/32" low profile slide rings from Mori, and the spears and shafts are enrout from the USA. Been working so much that I haven't had any time to install the Tovarich kit but here are some photos.

I had a couple of extra spears and tips made because of the logistics of getting things where I live. The fellow that did the spears for me is John Martin: eBay Store - Linghunt's Hunting-Diving-Surplus: Stringers, Motors Servo GearBoxs, PLC hardware
He's a fellow spearo and a really good guy, seams to be quite talented with steelwork too.

I will crimp the line either side of the slide ring so that it slips back to the rear of the shaft but doesn't come all the way off. I'll post more pics when I get it all set up.

DSC01520.jpg

P5310010.jpg

TY_final_1.jpg

TY_final_3.jpg

TY_final_6.jpg

TY_final_7.jpg

TY_final_8.jpg

Last edited:
Onefish I commend you on an excellent follow-up and appropiate credits...WTG mate!!!

If Onefish decides to OneUp-It, he'll post a step by step pictorial on the mamba installation....so that DB can also have an ORIGINAL step by step pictorial, in Ingles:D

My Bing is on it that he will:martial

great effort mate, DIY guides are always very much appreciated. Thanks

Fantastic detailed pics mate, very interesting method too. Thanks for that I really like the line attachment.

Well I'm sorry to dissapoint any of you but I fitted my Tovarich and trigger kit today and I didn't take photos until the end. It wouldn't have been possible anyway because I was covered in oil and grease. Pulled the gun apart and ended up with oil all down my front, I guess that's one way to learn.

I worked out that I didn't really even have to pull the gun completely apart to fit the Trigger kit but it was good just to get to know the gun a bit better.

Putting it all back together wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Have to push the piston back to engage the keeper or the barrel won't slot into the handle piece. I fitted the new trigger kit before reassembly which I worked out you can't do so out it came.

The trigger housing and O'ring can't be screwed in with the pin in place and if it's tightened up snug the O'ring gets squashed too much to allow the pin to be pushed into place. It was a bit of a pain actually. In the end I think I found a compromise of tightness and still allowed the pin to fit into place. Put the trigger back into place.

But then............... I screwed in the tovarich nozzle before refitting the filler valve and it pulled the barrel forward enough so the trigger pin came out behind the keeper (would no longer push on it). Take it back appart again and start over.

I got it in the end and I'm sure it will be alot easier next time around. word of warning to anyone else, the nozzle and filler valve position the barrel and can adjust it fore and aft. Too far forward (toward the nozzle) and the trigger pin won't engage the keeper.

Well here's a few pics of the finished product. I put 25bar into it. The Tovarich adds a bit of resistance which makes sense, 1bar vacuum plus the friction from the O'ring seal on the shaft. Haven't tried it out yet but I'm sure it will shoot nicely.

Cheers,
TJ

P6150010.jpg

P6150011.jpg

P6150012.jpg

P6150016.jpg

(Hope my wife doesn't miss her exercise band :) )
P6150017.jpg

P6150018.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT