• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Wow, amazing! Haven't been fortunate enough to see any lobsters around yet, how do you tell males from females and which are the best to get? Ie. Should I leave the females alone, the males don't have much meat etc. What about sizes too?

You're not allowed to catch any that have notched lobsters (on the tail), and they carry eggs underneath so you can check that too. Think the minimum size is 90mm, but some areas of the UK are different.

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any pics or links for said characteristics? And where do you measure from/to?

Any pics or links for said characteristics? And where do you measure from/to?

Released lobsters get a notch (v shaped) cut into their tail so let you know not to take them.

Girly lobbies will have pink roe (loads) all under their bendy tail bit. Look like millions of tiny berries... Put these ones back too....!

I think you measure the head (shell bit) but not too sure...

Any viz reports for South Hams tonight? I'm going mad tomorrow pm and stating at bolt tail and heading west.... Until I'm too tired to go on!!!

Babbacombe was poor tonight, onshore and blowing lots of bloom asjore

Budleigh was awful last thurs night, took a flounder but very coloured ? bloom ? Winds have stayed roughly same so wouldn't think it's worth travelling to far. Teignmouth calm but lots of colour also in the water, mind you network rail still working on sea wall from teignmouth to langstone rock dawlish. So they might be causing the bad viz this way.

Coloured / algae / particulates /crap viz lol!!!

*bloom

Thanks for update. Will wait for weekend then and hope for a calm. Algae blooming season at the moment indeed

Wow, amazing! Haven't been fortunate enough to see any lobsters around yet, how do you tell males from females and which are the best to get? Ie. Should I leave the females alone, the males don't have much meat etc. What about sizes too?

From the DEFRA website:

Lobster & Crawfish

It should be noted that:
• carapace length is now the only
measurement to decide minimum size;
• the minimum size for lobster from
1 January 2002 has been increased to
87mm on an EC wide basis.

Male and female lobsters have two main differences (well, three really!) The claws of a male are significantly bigger than a female, and the tail is a different shape. The tail of a female is wider, and splays out at the middle to accomodate the eggs.
Some female tails will be "V" notched by fishermen. This means that it is a breeding individual and should be returned. The notch grows out over time, usually by one or two shell moults.
Berried lobsters with eggs go straight back and notched lobsters go back, no arguments. If you can identify a female with no eggs or a notch, please put it back no matter how tasty it looks, as everyone still wants lobsters in a few years time.
It is illegal to spear a lobster (or crab), so you'll have to catch them by hand.
There are some good threads explaining the best way to hunt for them on the forum:
http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/lobster-thoughts-and-tactics.78665/

http://forums.deeperblue.com/posts/912980/

Cheers,
Chris

Cheers for the pointers guys, had a good look around so hopefully can get some legal lobsters some time soon! Any recommended spots around Plymouth for them, usually go around the whitsands/looe area or bovisands/heybrook.

Any viz reports for South Hams tonight? I'm going mad tomorrow pm and stating at bolt tail and heading west.... Until I'm too tired to go on!!!

How did you get on? and how far did you get? :)

Me and a mate went out last night around 10pm near Thurlestone, yet again, nothing :( (getting to be a really boring reply to the wife!). Saw a few small flatties, some pollock and my mate saw cuttlefish. I'm beginning to wonder about our technique... saying that, we did better last year. Perhaps we're just unluckily at the mo. Fingers crossed it will pick up soon.

Viz wasn't great. Around 2m-ish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT