• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
No good. Start bay not as clear as it looks from the beach, only a murky 2m or so. Saw a couple of bass jumping for sand eels from the surface but nothing underwater.

Tom

South hams near me, clear in the shallows, murky 2m further out, pushing 3m at 6-8m down. Loads of pollock, mackerel and baitfish... No bass seen... Few spiders though, took a belter for the pot about 4lb, and while sorting him lost sight of a much bigger one, it was MASSIVE! Spent an age trying to find it amongst lose kelp to no avail... Gutted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto mate where you heading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry AlastairB, just read your post, I dived South Hams in the end.

Good evening with plenty of life and 4m+ vis. Had fun with the torch looking in recesses and holes, impressed with its power. Got out just before dark though as was starting to feel cold.

Bass were around but mostky too small. Came away with one at 3lb, so happy enough with that.
Good luck to anyone else getting in.

Reactions: scrumpy
We dived a new (for us) E Devon spot last night. We fished from about 9 to 1130 pm. Vis was 1.5-2m and hunting was better once it got properly dark. Beautiful night to be out with big moon and near flat calm. Relatively quiet on the fish front. RD saw 3 bass, watched the first 2 and missed the 3rd (he had left his Mk 3 pole spear (bean canes upgraded over winter) in the van and was instead fishing with a flashy speargun - poor choice obviously). I blanked. Loads of very small red mullet around on the sand, which were cool to watch.

Quick swim before work at meadfoot this morning, vis was pretty good for meadfoot at 3m... Heading for first dive of the year further south and west early tomorrow. Wife has ordered a large spider crab as a minimum for leaving her all day at my parents with our 4 week old girl

Went to S Hams today with kayak , fantastic conditions , calm, sunny , warm water with 6-8 metres vis , but sadly very few fish around and they kept their distance ! Plenty of spider crabs though so took a few , very enjoyable day . Out in the boat some where else tomorrow, looking for flatties I hope ... happy days !!

There seems to be a slight NE wind coming in and the web cams show changing conditions. I’m at work until late so any viz updates appreciated. Looking like other side of south hams, which is a shame as conditions locally were clearing and good fishing to be had closer to home.

Went on a dawn raid this morning to one of my fav spots in the East Prawle direction. Was in the water by 5:30am. Beautiful morning, calm, 4-5 meter viz. Saying that, lots of seaweed and other debris floating about, but wasn't really a problem. Loads of small Pollock around, took a couple of the bigger ones for supper. Saw one Mullet, missed said Mullet. No bass to be seen.

There seems to be a slight NE wind coming in and the web cams show changing conditions. I’m at work until late so any viz updates appreciated. Looking like other side of south hams, which is a shame as conditions locally were clearing and good fishing to be had closer to home.

Viz not great down Plymouth way. Mullet but no bass. Good for my first dive of the season.

thanks Dave.
If on your way home you see sea state close to your shores? could you let me know mate. Much prefer dive close to home
cheers
lee

Staying in chillington might bob out for a quick night dive tonight can anyone recommend a spot nearby?

Thurlstone viz 8m + Could make out the bottom 16m below right out there. Plenty of nice pollack and a skate for dinner. Not a glimpse of silver in 4hrs.

Went in west of thurlstone area only saw one bass in 5hrs. One pollock and large spider crab for tonight. Viz was variable up to 8m

Glad I'm not the only one not seeing any Bass! Saying that, perhaps night dives are the way to go, I saw a few last week at night.

After all the requests for viz updates for the south hams. I just couldn't face the drive so headed local. First spot awful not sure if it was the slight NE arriving or just churned up from daily repair of sea wall but anyway out after 5 mins.
Next spot nearly as bad but stayed in to take 2 bass for wife's dads Father's Day.
Had something pretty big shoot past, bass, salmon?
Not looking great this way this am
cheers
Lee

Reactions: Dai ASBO
Very little to no bass in South West Devon. From reading different pages on facebook, forums and stuff, it seems as though they are all hiding down in the depths of cornwall haha!

I reckon they'll come. My Dad has always said the Bass season always tended to start with the first big tide in June. Fingers crossed eh? :)

I'm heading out today with a friend. Not expecting much but it will be nice to potter about on the kayak and check out some new marks. The better halves will be on the beach, so it will have to be the daytime this time.

Dived at bantham this afternoon. Vis was variable only saw two silvers one bass and one mullet. Missed both other than that lots of wrasse and pollock. Loads of spiders around so took a large one that's just fed four of us.

Good vis at thurlstone today(6-8m) at low tide, missed a good size mullet but got a nice big Bass. Lots of tiny pollack but not a lot else.
Winced as I was coming back in and saw another spearo getting in and cocking, and waving about, a big double banded gun out of the water 2m from the beach with dozens of kids all around him. He didn't catch one this time...

Lots of spiders but not many males, so left them for another day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 194
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT