• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You're supposed to wear a wetsuit?!

5mm Cressi something, cant remember name, but at the cheaper end of the spectrum and no complaints. Having said that when the time comes will replace with a better spec suit.

Hi everyone
Haven't been on here for awhile, lots of new faces. It would be great to see some of them at the 2014 LIC pairs comp which is just over a month away. We have 26 divers registered already with more signing up daily. If you fancy joining us for a dip then get in touch at pairscomp@yahoo.com, the more the merrier! Some great prizes up for grabs for the best specimens so everyone is in with a chance of winning something, but if your like me and you can't catch a cold then there's always the raffle and the BBQ!
Cheers
Ricky

7mm Cressi camo job means I can stay in all day and if it gets too hot I just flush through.

CR

just in case you were thinking of going in the sea, don't, the algal bloom is well and truly there in Start Bay and vis is less than 1m. Any ideas how long it usually lasts?

The vis is pretty dire everywhere at the moment , shame as the weather is great !

I am not sure you are seeing an algae bloom?
This normally happens when the sea is clear & the sun is able to penetrate the water to allow the algae to photosynthesise.
You may be right but, due to billions of tons of sediment that the freak weather over last winter dislodged from the sea bed, we have a nasty situation .
The sediment is lying over much of Britain's coastal reaches, not only on the beaches but out into deep water too.
Fishermen are reporting cloudy water, even in mid channel, so we may not have any consistent clear water throughout the year!
During periods of calm weather the vis will improve but as soon as a swell develops the suspended matter will reappear.

It's definitely not sediment, it is small blobs (approx 2-5mm in diameter) of what looks like brown algae that completely block all vis

I am not sure you are seeing an algae bloom?
This normally happens when the sea is clear & the sun is able to penetrate the water to allow the algae to photosynthesise.
You may be right but, due to billions of tons of sediment that the freak weather over last winter dislodged from the sea bed, we have a nasty situation .
The sediment is lying over much of Britain's coastal reaches, not only on the beaches but out into deep water too.
Fishermen are reporting cloudy water, even in mid channel, so we may not have any consistent clear water throughout the year!
During periods of calm weather the vis will improve but as soon as a swell develops the suspended matter will reappear.

You're right about about the freak weather we have had this winter. A lot of the beaches in this area have been moved. In some cases sand and shingle has been washed away right back to the bedrock. It will be interesting to see how the sea bed has changed when we get back in. A lot of our favourite holes and gulleys may well have gone. But I am sure there will be plenty of new ones that have been created.

Reactions: scrumpy and foxfish
I think it is a combination of the sediment and bloom ! I have been out on the SW coast path a lot recently ( Devon & Cornwall ) and no where is clear and the colour in some locations is quite incredible . Not only sediment has been washed in to the sea but a lot of nutrients ( nitrates ) from the soil have as well which could be feeding the plankton , the talk in the farming world recently has been about soils having been washed out over winter . I suppose the plankton are happy and growing well though ! and they are the bottom of the food chain so others may benefit as well . Happy days ahead I hope !

Reactions: spearo Clark
on that note mirror and the wider community! Is there any viz anywhere exmouth to the bay checked no go.
possible viz slapton thurlestone hope cove ??????

Always viz in Hope Cove Lee. Go on.... you know you wanna.....
had 4m two weekends ago down that way. Let us all know how you find it

yeah web cam been down a few days.. sat night it is then. Looking to enter the water midnight ish! bring it on!!

Sounds promising chaps. I'll be giving it a go on Sunday I think. Not much around a couple of weeks ago. a few stinky mullet and some micro Pollack. Had seen a few sea trout this time last year. Such magnificent fish to watch swimming...

Oh yeah.... no doubt that it is bloom, have spoken with local Environmental Health Officers. No doubt a bunch of other stuff going on as several of you have said - but when I was in last week the main thing ruining the vis was thick bloom.

In for the first time this year (!) and a chance to get my first speargun (bought in September) wet. Was in the water around Hope Cove about two hours after low tide. A stunning place but shame about the vis. I could barely see past the end of the gun. Plenty of that brown seaweed sediment and green algae bloom. I'd be interested in how you guys get on.

CR

Looked in to the water near Thatchers Rock today and it has improved a fair bit , must be 2 metres + , so improving . If things stay settled for a day or 2 more then could be worth getting in . I might be down S Hams way tomorrow , so might take my gear just in case .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT