• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
being new to the art of freediving & spearfishing &diving out of west Dorset Andy & me East DevonAndy & me are splashing out on a freedive & spearfishing course http://www.freediveuk.com/booking/products-page/advanced-spearfishing-course/ in June at freediveuk in Newquay . there is place for another sperio & we would like to get to know any other local divers. the date is 2&3rd July. We are camping down there. If there is anyone out there interested if you book directly &contact me maybe we can arrange to meet before.

Reactions: Hankatron
Cheers trelawney. Think might have to start heading that way. If I do might need a few pointers, no special spots but I'll check out google maps and pick your brains.
Cheers
Lee

No problem. If you're down this way, let me know and I'll try and join you.

It was 1 metre off shore in Torbay yesterday ! Today I was out of Dartmouth in kayak and it was rather choppy with equally bad vis . I really hope it improves soon , I have the summer off so expect to be getting in a fair bit , not desperate to get in, but keen, but not going in with low vis and a probable lack of fish !

Went for a dive this evening Plymouth way, vis was patchy but worth getting in for. Very few fish seen but luckily all but one were mullet so came away with a decent sized one to start the season. All fish seen in 2meters of water, nothing further out. Would say vis was generally 3m. Glad to start but itching for things to get properly going as we all are:)

Reactions: scallywag
We had patchy viz close in, but out deeper it cleared up a bit. We didn't even see a mullet, so Rowan had a spider crab and I went rummaging over an old shipwreck site. The water was a bit chilly, so we were only in for about two hours on the low tide before we got cold and the chop increased.
Our local reef had really taken a battering over the winter. There was lots of exposed bedrock and sandy areas where there was no sand before. I even found a yacht keel which I had never seen, even after diving the area for nearly ten years.

Torbay dive late afternoon, around Paignton. Relatively calm condition given the weather, wasn't expecting great vis so gave my new 60 its first outing. It was much worse than expected because of the bloom. So, beware the bloom!! Surely things have to get better soon..don't they?!

Thanks for the reports guys. I was out in the Prawle direction last weekend and thought it looked a little bloomy, sort of starting out. I had around 2m - 3m vis but saw nothing... Hopefully things will pick up soon.

On another note, I'm in the market for a new wetsuit. I've not been using a proper spearfishing one and I'm thinking of getting a Oceanos or Elios based on the threads on Deeperblue.

Can you Devon boys tell me what you use? Thickness vs time of year etc, it would be great to hear what you have to say.

I'm a pretty standard 5.10" average build and want to stay in for a 2 - 3 hours (think current sea temperatures as a guide). I was thinking of a 5mm suit as I don't have a drive to get in the water in the depths of winter.

I know this has been done to death on this board but I wanted to ask Devon specifically! Whats your thoughts? (any advice greatly appreciated)

Cheers,

S

I bought a 5mm Apnea Legend at the end of last summer from Venture Sports. Have only used it a few times, and the couple of times I have used it this year I have not stayed in particularly long mainly due to vis not temperature, but I have to say the improvement over a standard surfing wetsuit is phenomenal and that I haven't felt any chill at all. They are so easy to get on (with diluted shower gel) and far better value for money than surf wetsuits.

Now at least I have all the gear, but still no idea on where to actually go to find the silver fish - I did not even see a bass in the water last year! If anyone ever wants to buddy up (I am a couple of miles from Torcross) then would love to build some experience. I spent most of last year trying out different places, but would benefit from some pointers

Couple of miles from Torcross... what a great location. I only started last year as well, but I took a sabbatical and fully enjoyed exploring spots last summer. Can't say I know what I'm talking about either but learning is part of the fun. I just love being in the water.

I'll ping you a PM next time I know we're heading out your way if you like. There are a few of us in the Totnes & Ashburton area that enjoy spots towards you but as I said, we're far from "knowing what we're doing"! Still, could be fun.

That would be great, I might try and jump in tonight and see what this algal bloom is about!

I was at a secret fishing spot today ( HOPES NOSE ) with rod & line , got a few mackerel ,but vis is poor 2 metres max , I think the fish had trouble seeing the lures !! Hope this vis clears up soon !!! Steviehype ... It would be well worth your while going to Venture sports at Paignton and checking out their gear , lots to choose from and good advice from the guys there ! ALL of my gear is from there and I have no complaints at all ! I am often down the S Hams way and might see you 2 above around !!

I was at a secret fishing spot today ( HOPES NOSE ) with rod & line , got a few mackerel ,but vis is poor 2 metres max , I think the fish had trouble seeing the lures !! Hope this vis clears up soon !!! Steviehype ... It would be well worth your while going to Venture sports at Paignton and checking out their gear , lots to choose from and good advice from the guys there ! ALL of my gear is from there and I have no complaints at all ! I am often down the S Hams way and might see you 2 above around !!

Terry the guys need suits for spearfishing not Fetish nights like you use your gear for!!

Terry the guys need suits for spearfishing not Fetish nights like you use your gear for!!
oops sorry wrong forum !!!!! .................................................... how you doing ? been in lately ?

oops sorry wrong forum !!!!! .................................................... how you doing ? been in lately ?
Hi Terry, not been in this year. Latest start ever. Had a couple of bass on rod n line. Still eating trigger fish from last season lol

Thanks, most my gear is from there as well. Anthony is always great help.

Guys, what thickness are your gimp suits, sorry, wetsuits?

;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT