• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi all, I'm in charge of planning a 5 day trip to St davids area for a small group of family and friends (none spearos), early August. Hopefully the swell will have FINALLY dropped by then....Obviously camping location will have nothing to do with suitable dive spots.... Having looked at Google maps etc, is whitesands camping a good base / central point; working north and south around rocky outcrops etc. I will be taking my yak. I also notice some great features south of whitesands but understand there is some hefty rips. Any info / advice would be greatly appreciated. Please drop me a pm. Regards Hoppe

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Hi Hoppe
Whitesands is a great base. Some lovely kayaking north and south. Current can be very strong (over 10 knots) outside of the bay. It'll take you around the west side of Ramsey island or out past St Davids Head in minutes if really running. Ramsey Sound between the mainland and island is very hairy if you're not an expert in the area and the tide is running. Rocks and whirlpools mid-stream. It's not too bad at low water on a neap tide as long as you stay close to shore. Vis at Whitesands is rarely great. Don't know why. It could be the sandy beach. Nice mullet in close off the short headland to the right as your standing on the beach. There's usually one or two over protective bull seals about so keep your eyes (and ears) peeled! Vis around St Justinians can be good as it's protected from the swell by Ramsey Island.
Caerfai Bay to the south east of St Davids, just before you get into town (or should I say City!) can be good. Difficult in at high water as you're straight in off some big boulders. Off the sandy beach at low water. Steep walk down but can be worth it. The bay is actually on the north side of St Brides Bay so vis can be relatively good. I've seen good pollock and wrasse there. There's good bass further out around the little rocky islands off the point to the left looking out from the beach. Low water's best for this. You can do a rough check on the vis looking down from the coastal path above the bay.
Have a great trip. Let us know how you get on

Thanks so much for the info. Really appreciate it and will of course let you know how I get on, hopefully with pics :)
Hoppe

Had a dive at a south pembs mark today. Wasnt expecting much as im convinced welsh bass have gone nocturnal this year. Vis ok 3-4m bit better/bit worse in patches but.... hundreds of bass! More than i have ever seen. Loads of nice size ones. Loads of big mullet. Saw bass on 8 out of 10 dives. Missed loads of bigguns. Took a nice one for dinner.

Went for a dive today vis was ok. But missed every thing as new to spearfishing but good fun

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Looking for some help in the south Wales area. Swansea seems to have a severe lack of shops to buy simple things like a mask. I have only been in the swansea area 3 years and a quick Google search has not come to much. Are there any shops in Swansea, camarthen or Cardiff that stocks masks that can be tried on?. I would rather go to a shop to try them on than take a chance on the Internet. I know of Cardiff sportgear but they always seem a little low on stock whenever I go there. Many thanks in advance Denno.

Looking for some help in the south Wales area. Swansea seems to have a severe lack of shops to buy simple things like a mask. I have only been in the swansea area 3 years and a quick Google search has not come to much. Are there any shops in Swansea, camarthen or Cardiff that stocks masks that can be tried on?. I would rather go to a shop to try them on than take a chance on the Internet. I know of Cardiff sportgear but they always seem a little low on stock whenever I go there. Many thanks in advance Denno.

I'm in Swansea too, I couldn't find anything locally I'm afraid. Apparently there is a dive shop in Cardiff, but I haven't been to find it yet. Instead I just took a punt and bought some cheapish gear from Amazon/Dive Inn.

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey,

Bristol Channel Diving in Cardiff used to stock the standard spearfishing equipment such as Cressi and Mares. The used to have a pretty decent selection of masks as far as I remember as well for you to peruse at your leaisure.

I have a holiday booked for late August in Pembrokeshire so fingers crossed the weather will allow me to check out some of my old haunts.

Dave

Reactions: Mr. X
You can try:

Days Diversified
Diving Equipment
Dormay Works
Meadow StreetSwanseaWest GlamorganSA1 6RZ T: 01792 579 777

I get my belt weights from them.

The SEAC One mask is good starter mask if you're buying online. Fits most adult faces

Reactions: Mr. X
Hey,

Bristol Channel Diving in Cardiff used to stock the standard spearfishing equipment such as Cressi and Mares. The used to have a pretty decent selection of masks as far as I remember as well for you to peruse at your leaisure.

I have a holiday booked for late August in Pembrokeshire so fingers crossed the weather will allow me to check out some of my old haunts.

Dave

9h yeah I forgot all about them I work on the same road as those guys. Will be nipping in there on the way home me thinks.

Thank you for all the replies..

Covered a bit of ground in st brides bay today diving a few spots. Vis good on the whole bit stirred up over deeper kelp beds but excellent over sandy areas. Lots of bass seen. 2 nice size taken. Quite alot of big pollock shallower than normal but left them today.

Dived the evening spring tide in st brides bay tonight. Got caught short by bout of gastro- you have not seen a kayak move so fast! Vis not bad. Vis has been good this year shame the weathers not matched it.

Well I'm just back from a long weekend, staying at whitesands.

Thank all for the advice of where to dive etc.

Saturday: whitesands vis was bad, so made my way to Caerfai Bay. Met with swell and a few white horses, but got in. Close in vis was terrible, but a little further from beach vis improved to around 4m. Loads of bass, pollock and a few mullet sitting at 5m depth over reefs made for a great dive. Missed a few good bass (suppose you can't win them all..) but managed one for the bbq. Didn't bother the pollock, mullet or schoolies. Great experience.

uploadfromtaptalk1438777421491.jpg

Sunday, drove back to Caerfai with hopes of making up for Saturdays misses, but it was totally blown out. Headed to a sheltered Abereiddi. Dived in front of the entrance to the pool, took bass, mullet and pollock to feed the camp. Some big male spiders about but left them to it!Poor vis about 2-3m but manageable. Swell increasing....

Sunday pm big swell rolled in and that marked the start of two days surfing.....

Back to work and reality now doh.

Hoppe

Thanks for the viz reports both, sounds great!

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday st brides bay was totally churned up. Take a few days to settle i think.

Dived st brides. Patchy vis but perfectly usable. 2-4m. Took a bag full home. This 5.5lber was the pick of them.

Loads of bass about. Loads of big pollock close inshore too.
Great catch! In your view, which direction's best for bass launching a kayak out from St Brides - left or right? I know you have to be careful going too far left as you'll be in the protected zone around Skomer but I've never seen bass close in at St Brides bay itself.

After the strong southerly winds earlier last week, Gower started coming into condition in the last few days & with more favourable tide times. I got in early (Thursday) at Oxwich Bay,knowing viz. would be very poor after days of rain & rain overnight. Viz was mainly very poor but I did eventually get a shot at a decent gar fish.

While Oxwich Bay is sheltered, the headland is not and the huge tidal flows are powerful and should be carefully planned for. I managed to break a fin :(. Fri. looked better but we surfed. Saturday offered excellent conditions (flat, calm, sunny & improving viz.) and that was around the exposed Mumbles. Unfortunately with broken fin, I could only look on. Anglers reported catches of mackerel, gurnard & sometimes bream & bass.

Last edited:
Great catch! In your view, which direction's best for bass launching a kayak out from St Brides - left or right? I know you have to be careful going too far left as you'll be in the protected zone around Skomer but I've never seen bass close in at St Brides bay itself.

Hi sent a pm ( i think). Right from st brides has been best for me this year. Some great fish about now. Vis improving quickly after the bigger swells that came through.

At last some decent bass! Got these down the Gower over low tide this afternoon. Loads of good fish about. Missed some bigger ones...obviously! Vis was OK but patchy - anything from 2mtrs to 4-5mtrs

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT