• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice fish ashbish! I had a look at the water last night from the coastal path between limeslade and langland and the vis looked poor. There was a bit of swell moving things around though. Are there any parts of Gower where the vis tends to be better?

From my limited experience it's generally hit and miss! Oxwich is the only beach sheltered on a W/SW wind, but I have rarely fished there. Might go this weekend and see how it is and I'll let you know! Other than that, the slightest wind or swell usually messes things up everywhere else.
Wind looks as if it's picking up this weekend along with the swell so even with the small tides it could be a right off! I've seen videos of mewslade and the water is crystal clear! Maybe because theres generally not much sand that could be another place to check out when everywhere else is shite. Have you had much experience around the Gower?

From my limited experience it's generally hit and miss! Oxwich is the only beach sheltered on a W/SW wind, but I have rarely fished there. Might go this weekend and see how it is and I'll let you know! Other than that, the slightest wind or swell usually messes things up everywhere else.
Wind looks as if it's picking up this weekend along with the swell so even with the small tides it could be a right off! I've seen videos of mewslade and the water is crystal clear! Maybe because theres generally not much sand that could be another place to check out when everywhere else is shite. Have you had much experience around the Gower?

Not much experience of Gower. Tend to go to Pembroke even though Gower is much closer. The water tends to clear much quicker in Pembs away from the estuaries. That said, I had a great dive about two years ago off the reef at Langland after a long spell of settled conditions. Got a nice couple of bass and a good plaice. Went looking for black bream but didn't see any. Also had a good session around the same time between Caswell and Pwll Du. Again, lots of nice bass. Went in between Horton and Slade last summer but struggled to see past the end of the gun. Saw a lot of big bass tails disappearing into the gloom but didn't get anything. Will let you know if I get chance to go in down the Gower.

Reactions: John86 and ashbish
Yeah definitely! Just off slade is where we had the two last weekend, viz was the best I've seen for two years!
I'll have to have a crack around langland/caswell, just finding the time! Will have to take a trip West too! Hoping to get in this weekend if the wind doesn't mess it all up! Will give a viz update Friday afternoon!

Reactions: mogsychief
Still not been in the water this year, but off to Abereiddy on Friday morning so will post an update.

Nice fish too Ash!

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ashbish
Still not been in the water this year, but off to Abereiddy on Friday morning so will post an update.

Nice fish too Ash!

--
Jeff

Cheers mate! Let us know when you're free one weekend and we'll try and get in down the gower somewhere!

Cheers mate! Let us know when you're free one weekend and we'll try and get in down the gower somewhere!

Cheers mate. That's been the problem, work, work, and my fecking garden. May be around next Saturday if you're about?

--
Jeff

Cheers mate. That's been the problem, work, work, and my fecking garden. May be around next Saturday if you're about?

--
Jeff

Yeah I should be down the Gower if the weathers good! Let me know!

Afternoon chaps

Zero signal down Abereiddy, but you haven't missed much. Did some fishing on Friday afternoon, but didn't catch a thing.

Got up Saturday expecting it to be lovely, but the weather turned a bit grey and the sea was a bit choppy. Vis only about 0.5 - 1m. Gutted!

Windy down there again today, so didn't even bother taking my stuff down. Still, nice weekend, and a good location in that cottage.

--
Jeff

Same here, got in Saturday morning with plenty of optimism, only to find myself unable to see the end of the gun! Lasted about half hour searching for viz until I got out!

Two of my mates went to Oxwich Saturday afternoon and said viz was better there but they got sucked out to the point due to a strong rip even with the small tides.
Sad to hear a guy died at three cliffs Saturday afternoon too, rip the factor there I presume!
Hoping to get in this week if the wind settles, probably go to caswell or langland! Fingers crossed!!!

That sounds awful mate. Haven't managed to catch up with the news yet, but yeah, there are some very strong currents around here. I've been caught at Llangennith once myself, very scary.

Looks like it's gonna be windy all week mate, although tomorrow and Thursday less so.

In that cottage this weekend I found a load of books on fishing, and near shore navigation. It mentioned getting hold of admiralty charts to find reefs and sand banks etc., ever heard of them? It said you may find reference copies in the library, but the book was very old so not sure if that's correct any more.

--
Jeff

Any viz reports for st brides?

I went to Newgale on my way on Friday and surf was 2-3 foot there. There was also so much mist I couldn't see the car 10-feet in front of me; so I doubt it would be very good. I may be wrong though!

--
Jeff

St brides is totally churned up at the mo. Westerly swell and winds have messed it right up for a bit im afraid. Been out on kayak tonight and covered alot of ground.

Went for a swim at Langland when I got back from work tonight. Didn't take any gear, but the water looked ok for the Gower, was a bit chilly though!

--
Jeff

St brides with the kayak yesterday. The wind was down but it was a bit wet and grey with a foot or two of swell coming in. Viz was bad close to the beach - about 1mtr. Further around the coast viz improved to about 3-4 mtrs, maybe more in places but no where near as good as it has been of late. Loads of fish about - small pollock but they're getting bigger! Big wrasse. The sea was like 'sandeel' soup there were of many of them. Looks like we've got another week of medium swell until things calm down hopefully for a longer period so the water should clear up much better by then.

Yeah I should be down the Gower if the weathers good! Let me know!

Weather sucks today huh? I won't be down pal, but let us know what it's like if you get in. Cheers. [emoji106]

--
Jeff

I've got a trip back home to sunny Wales this week. I'm hoping to dive the Gower as it's on my doorstep, but might make the trip down to St Brides bay in search of vis. I'm guessing the south side of the bay gets sheltered from SW swell.
What has the sea been like recently?

There's been very little let up in the swell recently so I think everywhere is a bit messed up at the moment, although I haven't looked in the last week or so. St brides was patchy 10 days ago (see my post above) If St Brides is struggling for vis I can't imagine Gower being good at all. If you get chance to have a look post us n update on here. Sorry not very positive but have a good trip!

Yep, still wet and windy here so I guess the Gower is a washout. If I hear anything different I will let you know.

--
Jeff

Reactions: mogsychief
Hi all, I'm in charge of planning a 5 day trip to St davids area for a small group of family and friends (none spearos), early August. Hopefully the swell will have FINALLY dropped by then....Obviously camping location will have nothing to do with suitable dive spots.... Having looked at Google maps etc, is whitesands camping a good base / central point; working north and south around rocky outcrops etc. I will be taking my yak. I also notice some great features south of whitesands but understand there is some hefty rips. Any info / advice would be greatly appreciated. Please drop me a pm. Regards Hoppe

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT