• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just posted some footage of my recent outing to the Gower on Youtube if anyone's interested. Vis wasn't fantastic but got some nice fish. It's on my 'mogsychief' Youtube channel

Reactions: ashbish
quick dive on the ebb in st brides bay today. vis not too bad considering recent heavy rain. Bass and mullet about. nice size.

Nice footage. Vis looks better than I would expect. Good to see fish about. Never seen mullet in St brides... but then I'd never seen bass until you told me where they were likely to be!!! Some great shooting at range!

First mullet i have seen there this year too. tomorrow promises good conditions but think im busy all day. Vis bounced back surprisingly quick after the rain.

Good kayak dive along coast from st brides. Excellent vis. Lots of good sized mullet. Lots of small bass. Nice flatties about. Flounder i think. Took a 6lb mullet and flounder couple of pounds.

Reactions: mogsychief
St Brides yesterday. Vis was good but not as good as I expected after the settled weather - 5-6 mtrs. Bit of a north westerly wind chop didn';t help. Fish have started disappearing now. Still pollock about but nothing worth taking. Loads of wrasse of various sizes. Saw one bass of about 4-5lbs but he'd obviously seen me first and I couldn't get the gun on him quickly enough. Nice to be in the water though. Big shoal of bait fish about.

Just uploaded another bass spearfishing video onto my 'Mogsychief' Youtube channel, this time from West Pembs, if anyone's interested

Anyone been in lately? Hoping to get in this Saturday!
St brides last Sunday. Excellent vis. Loads of wrasse of different sizes, some small pollock, a pouting and a seal! No bass.
B
Mumbles head on Tuesday morning. Vis 3-4mtrs. Loads of big mullet and some nice bass but missed them all!

Reactions: Mr. X
St brides last Sunday. Excellent vis. Loads of wrasse of different sizes, some small pollock, a pouting and a seal! No bass.
B
Mumbles head on Tuesday morning. Vis 3-4mtrs. Loads of big mullet and some nice bass but missed them all!

Nice!!! Never fished off the Mumbles, hope to next year! I'm hoping it'll hold out until Saturday, I know the weathers not looking to good though!

I was just checking if anyone was around still @ashbish, cheers for the reply! I will keep an eye out for some flat conditions over the next few weeks (once the storm has passed), as the vis will be good at the moment. Can you recommend any sites near Cardiff good for freediving (not necessarily for spearo)? I was hoping to find a rocky drop-off to around 20m?

I know of drop offs around the gower, overton mare is one to be exact, but its only really reachable by boat unless its a real calm day as the tide runs really fast along there and would probably be dangerous! You probably can't dive anywhere (in the sea) between cardiff and swansea, the gower generally has a few days of good viz towards the end of the summer, so you might be better off heading further west. I'm planning on doing that this year! Other than that, chepstow ndac quarry is 70m deep and usually has good viz, saltfree is a freedive club that runs out of there. There is a shallow end though with a few vehicles that's around 20m, usually full with diving schools mind.

Reactions: Mr. X
I might have to wait for a good weekend to head over to Pembrokeshire, but I will have a go at the gower if it settles (just on a whim). Thanks @ashbish ! I have freedived at Chepstow before and I think it's a great site, might have to head there for depth at the moment then.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT