• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
No bravery needed

Originally posted by ivan
...that vis is seriously scary you are brave to get in that water :D

The scariest things in our water are boats and jetskies; the surface is the most dangerous place on the lake. Every so often we'll bump into a big snapping turtle, but they are pretty docile when submerged. Meet one on land however, and you'll see one ornery testudine. If they clamp on something you value, you'd better have it insured :crutch.

Florida divers need to be aware of gators, but I don't think they are anywhere near as aggressive (and certainly not as large) as your crocs. I bumped into a 5-foot gator when I was in Florida a few months ago. It was a good tester for how fast I could unsheath my dive knife. The gator wasn't impressed; he didn't budge. I think I even saw him roll his eyes at me :D.

Ted

Last edited:
Spearfishing with crocodiles???

Thats what i call UNUSUAL ! ! ! Woww.....

GEEZE

Man, go outta town for a week and all kinds of stuff breaks loose. Well since I'm the other member of the offending party I guess I'll give my version of the event.
First, many thanks to the guys that came to our defense, much appreciated guys. Thats what it's all about, watching each others back-above and below the surface.
A brief run down of the tally of the three days Aquiles and I fished together. Day one- there were three of us and we only shot about a 2/3's the number of fish as the second day. Day two-you saw the results. Day three- we took 4, that's right 4 fish and swam twice as far. There were't any fish on the reefs we stopped on, not even bait fish(and no we didn't shoot them all). So if you look at the average for the three days it wasn't that great.
OK- here's the story from "The Day the Muttons Died".
The day dawned so still there wasn't enough wind to blow a candle out. The ocean was like glass. After a leisure breakfast we loaded the boat and headed out. On our first few stops we threw out the drift anchor and it just hung straight down, the boat literally just sat where we left it. If we wanted to move we just grabbed the bow line and pulled the boat behind us. We we getting a few fish as we worked the edges of the reef. On average the top was about 50' and I got 80' for my deepest depth. We could see fish on the bottom on 80'+. The temp was about 85F. We found a couple of snapper that had some kind of snapper force field. They would lure us to the bottom and the wait patiently as we both missed from point blank range. Go figure. I have to admit that I was using a Riffe C3 since I hadn't planned on this trip I didn't have any speargear w/ me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. BTW: Aquiles was using a Rabitech, so there was a Euro in the water.
Towards mid to late afternoon we ran down to a reef that Aquiles thought might have some fish, there were alot of line fishermen anchored so we went up ahead of them and set our anchor. Almost as soon as Aquiles hit the water he had a nice snapper right under the boat. I saw another w/ it but it took off. About 5min later I was on the bottom, turned and there it was again. Well, whats a guy to do. So we had two nice ones in the boat and the line fishermen started leaving for home so we could spread our search pattern a little. There were alot of nurse sharks out and one followed a snapper I was pulling up all the way to the surface, then I had to hit it twice to make it leave. This was one of the big 8-9' ones. When we got to the edge of the reef we started seeing more fish. It seems everytime I saw Aquiles swimming back to the boat w/ a fish I'd find one w/in a few minutes. While we were fishing the edge I was pulling up a snapper that was body shot. Aquiles thought I might pull off so he went down and grabbed it. Just as he hit the surface I looked down just in time to see a gray reef shark making a turn at his fintips and screaming off into the deep. We never saw it comming. We shot a couple of more I believe then decided we had enough(there was still plenty of daylight left and fish). We got in the boat took some pics and cranked the tunes for the ride home. It was a great ride back to the dock w/ a good friend, some nice fish and a beautiful evening,(Sorry Sven, no beautiful babes to wash our gear though).
So the tally for the day was 1-grouper, 1-yellow jack, 3- triggers, 11- muttons. This may sound excessive to some, so be it. I'm truely sorry you don't have the same opportunities and I understand your concern, but these aren't severly overfished species and if you look at the over all take from all the sport and commercial boats for that day our catch will pale in comparison. As Aquiles said, all the fish exept the one we ate the next day was divided amongst the people at the trailer park. Many are older induviduals that can't get out to get fresh fish like they once could. This is an extended family to Aquiles and to some extent myself now. This is something you have to understand about the culture over here and how it works before critisisms and opinions are touted. I respect everyones opinion of this, good or bad and will defend your right to it. Because after all, it is only your opinion. If I've recieved any neg karma, cie la vie. Thanks again Aquiles for a great few days spearing.
Jay

Re: GEEZE

Originally posted by Jay Styron
The temp was about 85F.

(Sorry Sven, no beautiful babes to wash our gear though).

Jay

I'd settle for the 85 degree water! :p

Well, then again... :hmm

sven

hi

Jay sweet story man, what was the vis like were you seeing the fish in 80ft + from the surface. 80ft max depth impressive I really like that, was Aquiles going deeper than that. Riffe C3 and a missed shot :p sounds good to me He He.

Ted you saw a 5 ft Croc and it did nothing man thats nuts. If you see any Croc here underwater your lucky for not already being dead and then most likely will be attacked anyway unless its asleep :duh

cheers

Thanks Ivan. I think Aquiles and I were pretty much together on depth. We stayed together while we were after the deep snapper, for safety. I'm sure he's got me beat on over all depth though. I'm guessing the vis was probably between 80'-100'. Towards the end of the day there was a murky layer the first 10' but opened up under it. sounds like you've got great conditions over there.
Jay

hi

100ft vis sweet, last time I had 100ft vis when I had a speargun im my hand instead of a tank on my back was a while back.

Ahh 100ft vis I remember watching my mate straighten out his 75ft float line and him looking back up to see If I could untangle it for him but he didint realise that he was at the end of it and the bottom is still 20ft away, its so cool in clear water watching someone else dive down deep and I always thing to myself that they look like a pair of pliers down their :duh

cheers

This is my first striper taken by spear. It's 29" w/ a 19" tautog in the other hand. I got of from work early so threw a kayak on top of my car and booked for cape henlopen state park in Deleware. This was only my second time spearing on the East Coast. The vis. was around 6'. Also saw two other stripers in the 30's but couldn't line them up. This guy got hit right behind the eye, but my decrepid old 1/2" bands didn't propel my flat spear head into the brain. He went vertical in the water and started twitching, but didn't pull. I booked for him and grabbed his gills w/ both hands and took him up.

The fishing technique is really cool here. Theres a large stone breakwater thats about one mile long a little ways off-shore (actually two of them). They sit in mud/sand so all the fish are congregating on the rocks. Anyway the surface dosen't have much current, but you just drop to 15-25' and the current is ripping. So you just go for a ride and wait to surprise a fish

Last edited:
Friday the 13th

Allright. Some of you know about the less than glamourous demise of my beloved Riffe #H. Its been nearly 3 weeks since that fateful Memorial Day Sunday and Ive been uncomfortably dry. Yestarday I made the trek up north to BWH in S.B., where I was set up with a near new Riffe Island (w/ ice pick). When the old lady was informed she was not too pleased, but sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission;) . So I took her out (the gun, not the wife) this afternoon to test fire this cannon, when lo and behold, I start seeing WSB. I watch several smallish ones meander around and I keep cruising toward the outside when I see a bigger fish swim by underneath me. Now Im getting all excited:naughty and ready to shoot my cannon when all the sudden this nice fish comes to say hello. My First shot was one- handed and fatal for this beautiful fish. Sorry about the Freudian slips.

Hawkeye

Attachments

• dscn0007.1.jpg
    dscn0007.1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 340
Reactions: icarus pacific
Aww, Hell yeah!!

Now that's worthy of some Karma!! :cool:

Welcome to the land of the best gun Jay makes. But you may want to not make a habit of lobbing the shaft one-handed with that gal.

And that goes for the gun too. :blackeye

sven

Thank you boys. Ivan, if I had to take a guess, Id say that fish was 18-20 lbs. But that is a really subjective number. Someday Ill buy a scale, or take the time to stop by a local market, but the exact weight is not a priority for me right now.
I placed Fridays LA Times next to the fish to prove the date of capture. 6-13-03.

Hawk

hi

Yeah do you see any bigger ones, are they open water pelagic fish etc, we dont get them here.

cheers

Ivan, there are definitely bigger ones to be found. The biggest wsb caught (on record) was 80 lbs, and people talk about the ellusive 100 lber, although I am a bit confused what effect the taking of only the largest fish has on a fishes ability to regenerate its members.
Below is the biggest fish Ive seen-somewhere over 50lbs. I borrowed my neighbors antique scale, which wasnt exactly accurate.I think that these fish are part-time pelagics. When the time comes they enter kelp forests up and down our coast and kind of kick back. They spawn, leave back to the open ocean, then return again to spawn. Someone else would be able to give a better explanation.
Adam

Attachments

• wsb.jpg
    wsb.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 387
Very nice fish Adam. That's it I'm coming over there to hunt next. a nice WSB or YT will do nicely.
Jay

this guy's getting to be my next best buddy!

No kiddin' nice fish! That's a couple less than my PB, but just seeing that nice silver flank... :inlove

You're right about the habits of the WSB. From what I know which is from just plain fishing them, they move inshore to settle their stomachs full of offshore squid and mate. Not all bad habits by the way. They'll usually stay in the same area's kelp beds through the Summer before they take off North to the upper Channel Islands and they're again being seen up in the Monterey Bay area, and a good amigo swears he missed one in Santa Cruz. He was so startled to see it that he just plain flinched and the thing split.

sven

hi

Thanks for the info guys. From that Pic there of the 50lber it seems that they have soft flesh, I havent seen one myself but it just looks to be soft. Better place those shots good eh boys.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Yeah do you see any bigger ones, are they open water pelagic fish etc, we dont get them here.

cheers
We do get a related species called Jewfish or Mulloway.

hi

Shadow I dont get to see those either cos its too warm for them up here :D

cheers

I have looked at these a fair bit in spearo mags on here and in Terry Maas's Blue water hunting book.
Tthey seem to be very similar to our Jew fish or Mulloway- Argyrosomus Hololepidotus - formerly Sciaena Antarctica in appearance and habits.
What is there Latin name?
Are they a related species or just look similar.
I am not an expert on either species and have only seen 1 small jew caught on my boat line fishing and never seen any in the water yet - Im still looking for them though.
Regards peter

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT