• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
While we are on the subject of sea bass can you guys tell me if these are them? The photo is not too clear, but I think they are Dicentrarchus Labrax.

I took the pictures in a natural marine park near where I live called "Las Medas". It's swarming with life!

Adrian

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 381
Wishbone,

Do you have parrotfish up there? They are my favorite tasting fish ever. Very fatty, soft, & white flesh. Hunting the is challenging too. You have to make head shot otherwise you loose it. The only problem is they don't grow big here. I nerer see bigger than half kilo. I didn't find what species is our, couldn't find in fishbase. Ours are red/ dark brown, bigger ones have yellow color and spot.

Gday Rob
I think that the jews you get up nrth may be a different fish the Black jew I just looked it up on fish base they look very similar but have a different name to the jews -Mulloway we get down south , when I lived at the Isa I saw these at Karumba and in mates pics from there also I was told about them when I was working at Gove or Nhulunbuy in the Territory last month they get them there - I only caught bloody sharks though. I just looked it up on fishbase -shadow gave me this address it is a good fish ID site but pics arent great.
Regards Peter

hi

Yeah Dog I was about to say the same thing as poacher, I know we get the Black jews up here, only caught a couple as well, though never seen them diving and I guess they are a bit different to the ones in the south.

Thanks Ivan for that info, if I do Uni next year Im already thinking about travelling to the Med when done Beautiful blue water.

cheers

Hi Ivan,

Be free to visit me if you are planning comin here. May be we can arrange something and you can teach me few tricks;)

hi

It depends if I go to Uni or not cos Uni takes 3 years, but in the future I will most likely be going there. Today on the boat I work on we had the first freediver who I have met so far. He was from Italy and was quite good he told me he has dove to 40m, it was quite fun diving with him. Normally most tourists cant even swim properly so it was good to have someone who can dive.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

It depends if I go to Uni or not cos Uni takes 3 years, cheers

Lucky man. It seems mine will took at leat 5 years:waterwork . I have final tomorrow:( .One week later i am gonna be free.Can't wait to dive again:)

Actually its 4 year with standart graduation program. But unfortunatelly i failed from some corses. I am in Electric & Electronic Engineering. I choosed this coz its sounds like good and you can make some good money when you graduate but after i start i see how hard it is.:duh But anyway, i am in 3 now and if i go on with that speed it will finish 1-1.5 years later.

BTW how old is ya? You still in high school?

hi

Murat that sounds like a hard course, anything to do with engineering is hard. Im not at high school I actually work on a Snorkel/Dive charter boat here usually as the snorkel advisor :D I get to show tourists who cant even swim how to snorkel :duh

cheers

Adrian

they sure look like Dicentrarchus labrax, just like the Bass we get around the Welsh coast. They are one tasty fish:p but easely spooked.

Hey Ivan where is this charter boat at that you work on?
My mum and sister went for a snorkel charter at
Lady Musgrave last w/end- well mum snorkeled from inside glass bottom boat ha ha
but michelle got taken to a second spot that is reserved for more experienced divers only a few of the passengers got this invite to this spot most were probably useless.
This job must have its moments both good and bad i reckon some customers must get frustrating , but some would be good fun I bet.
regards Peter;)

Gday Ivan
mate hows the footy going ?
My missus just turned it on ha ha
_I hope Qld dont make a comeback or Ill look like a dill;)
its off again now we dont even watch it no fish on there hey!

sperfishing

just look to your photos
dead fish, dead fish, dead fish, dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish
sorry but i hate this

there's an old CZECH saying...

"when you go into a spearfishing thread, that's what you'll get!" :hmm

Welcome to DB and probably being the quickest to get everyone here riled up. Might I suggest you tour the site and land in the photo section or the other areas that might be more suitable for you?

And one last thing... don't go looking at how that last meal you had comes about. :rcard

Re: sperfishing

Originally posted by Clunacek
just look to your photos
dead fish, dead fish, dead fish, dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish,dead fish, dead fish, dead fish
sorry but i hate this

Next time i will try to spear the fish from it's tail so i can take it's pic. while its alive.:head

BTW i totally agree with you, three prongs are useless, stick to single floper hawaianrofl rofl

Originally posted by tecdave
Adrian

they sure look like Dicentrarchus labrax, just like the Bass we get around the Welsh coast. They are one tasty fish:p but easely spooked.

Thanks Tecdave,
You are right, the larger fish here (in non protected waters) scatter as soon as they see you. Probably that's why they remain large. :) Good for them but hard to photograph freediving!

Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT