• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
here you go, abri! :D

cubera snapper (lutjanus cyanopterus sp?) this one's on a wreck in the caymans(note the clear water, you could see him from the surface) about 70 feet down. he's pushing 20lbs. i stood face to face w/ him at the edge of the wreck for about 45 seconds and he never budged. he also had a piece of monofilament hanging out one of his gills. pretty tough fish. they feed on whole lobster. :t

ERRMM ... thanks Andrsn ; can't see the spear though , This IS "spearfishing photo's " isn't it ?rofl

how about one with a hole in it?

here's a hogfish (lachnolaimus maximus) that someone took a shot at. these guys are yummy! white flakey meat, small muscle fibers. :p it's a member of the wrasse family along with the spanish hogfish (bodianus rufus) and spotfin hogfish (bodianus pulchellus).

yeah, OK...70 ft, 45 secs...

Believe me, that tasty piece o' protein woulda had some stainless in it if it were me. Last time I had cubera, I wanted to defect to that side of the World.

Re: yeah, OK...70 ft, 45 secs...

ask the qban! :D he was taking 8 or 10 pics from inside the wreck! it was like you were in bathwater fer chrissakes! :D who couldn't relax? well, maybe if you were paranoid about the marine patrol coming after you cause you shoot illegal fish, but even then! :D

RE:Andrsn photos

All fish in reserves are unafraid of divers they seem to know better:eek:
No, really those are good photos!
Anthony
N. Cal

Re: how about one with a hole in it?

Originally posted by andrsn
here's a hogfish ... that someone took a shot at.

AARGHH !!! I hate seeing wounded fish . The locals here use slings with no barbs , place is full of holey ;) fish . The place is teeming with religious rabbitfish and rockcods ...:D
Thanks for the photos Andrsn , nice to see new species ... any pelagics ?:p

pelagics

here's a king mackerel (scomberomorous cavalla) about 30lbs. shot it last march during our 2nd annual keys kraze. :D it's up in another thread, but thought i'd pull it in here.

AHHH , what a BEAUT !!!:cool:
Back home we call S. commerson as king mackerel , caused some initial confusion when I joined this forum . What size do these get ?

slept in...

Damn! A missed opportunity!!

I'm away from my palatial digs for a few. I'll warm up the scanner and see what I can provide youz all.

sven

Dog Snapper

Anderson,

I hate to pull a Sven on you and correct your post, but I'm pretty sure that fish you're calling a cubera snapper is actually a dog snapper. I'm almost positive that's a white triangle I see radiating down from under it's eye, which is the distinguishing feature for that species.

BTW, I got the opportunity to meet and dive with fellow Forum members Scott Nelson and Eric from Sweden this weekend in West Palm Beach. Both are good divers. We had beautiful conditions (100 ft vis and <2 ft seas). I think those guys really enjoyed themselves and were amazed by all the megafauna we encountered during the day (jewfish, sharks, turtles, and barracuda). We boated 2 cobia, several nice mutton snapper, and a couple small mangroves.

Scott Turgeon

pulling a sven?

very well could be. i'm not much of a snapper conissieur(below water), so you're probably right. got the scientific name for these guys? :confused:

thanks,
andrsn

Hey Big Guy
'youz all'
Where did you learn to spel? Shouldn't that be y'alls?
Aloha
Bill

Re: Dog

Originally posted by sturgeon
Dog Snapper = Lutjanus jocu

Hey there sturgeon,

I just wanted to let you know that the fish that is in the pic that Anderson took was a cubera. The dog snapper is more of a gold color and has blue tears radiating down in an arc from the eye. This view of the fish is not one where you can clearly see that so it is easy to mistake it. THis fish is also too copper colored. The dog snapper is also not banded like this fish. If it was a shot from the side you would understand. I hope that this clears up any confusion. I will try to post a better pic of the two so that the difference is clear

Aquiles

Reactions: icarus pacific
AAHH !!! Finally a shot of secretive Sven ...:cool:
Looks like a nice pile of rocks you collected .:hmm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT